Blenheim TT

love2ride
love2ride Posts: 224
edited October 2009 in Amateur race
Has anyone done the Blenheim palace TT. Is it a good event?Is the course road surface smooth. Is it a fast course? Up?Down?
Thanks

Comments

• BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    Yes, I rode it last year. It was a briliant event that I'd strongly recommend to anyone who is tempted to have a go. The road surface is excellent except for a few cattle grids which are covered over for the event. It's not a 'fast' course in that you won't achieve the average speed you would batting up and down the A1 with double lanes of traffic beside you - but does that matter? The best man and woman will win on the day. The course goes up and down a bit and there are places where being technically better-skilled will help........... the event has everything a good TT should have including tons of novices, juniors, women, right up to some of the best senior males in the country.

Don't hesitate - get your entry in!

Ruth
  • I'm already entered. Are there any proper hills that you will have to come off the aerobars for.
  • BeaconRuth
    love2ride wrote:
    I'm already entered. Are there any proper hills that you will have to come off the aerobars for.
    Yes, I'm pretty sure I was out of the saddle on the biggest climb. I'm not sure I went as far as using the small ring though.

Ruth
  • i've entered :)

almoast getting nervs. :(

can i hold on to my form for october
  • I did this last year and loved it so much I will be back this year to break my personal best*. I managed the 20km route in just under 40 minutes - I am aiming to get close to 38 minutes this time.

There are some sharp descents and then some sudden steep but short(ish) climbs.

Oh - and you do need to watch out for various livestock and wildlife

*well, it is the only time trial I have ever done :D
  • i'm going down for a watch, they are not taking any more entires at the mo which is disappointing, guess i will just have to be quick off the mark next year
  • BeaconRuth
    The start sheet has been published so you've well and truly missed the boat. If the weather's good it should be a really good day out. I'm looking forward to it.

Ruth
  • Hello Everyone,

I've a couple of questions.

When on course, there could be around 60 riders around, how "busy" does it seem when you're riding?

Also what facilities are there? Is there somewhere to get changed?

Cheers,

Dunedin
  • BeaconRuth
    Dunedin397 wrote:
    When on course, there could be around 60 riders around, how "busy" does it seem when you're riding?
    It wasn't too bad last year. There may have been a couple of occasions when I could perhaps see 5 or 6 riders ahead, but the road is wide enough to overtake without any problem and of course there are no cars. I certainly didn't feel that any congestion came anywhere close to affecting my ride.
    Also what facilities are there? Is there somewhere to get changed?
    There wasn't really anywhere to change last year. The event 'village' was made up of tents, refreshment vans and trade stalls with a long row of portaloos. I think probably most people who were racing did the usual trick of changing discreetly in or near their cars.

Ruth
  • Hi Ruth,

Thanks very much for that, very useful. Good luck with your race.

Cheers,

Dunedin
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    Well done to all riders that took part, and well done to Ruth for coming second in the womens event.
  • BeaconRuth
    Thanks SBezza. A super day out - masses to see and do and thousands of cyclists out and about enjoying themselves. It's just as well the sun shone!

How did everyone else get on? Did you enjoy it?

Ruth
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    SBezza wrote:
    Well done to all riders that took part, and well done to Ruth for coming second in the womens event.
    Nice story about the event over in the old "Race" section
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 5#15656525
  • SBezza wrote:

Yes well done Ruth, 31:09 is an amazing time.

Dunedin
  • Hello Everyone,

Would anyone happen to have the 3 lap distance from their bike computer? I'd like to know if it's pretty much 20k or if it's more or less. I didn't look at mine as I was too busy coughing when I finished!

Cheers,

Dunedin
  • BeaconRuth
    Dunedin397 - thanks, but it's not nearly as amazing as Julia Shaw's performance - I suffered the humiliation of being caught by her for 1 minute. :cry::wink:

My Garmin came up with 19.81km. How did you get on? Did you enjoy it?

Ruth
  • Dunedin397
    Dunedin397 Posts: 145
    edited November 2009
    BeaconRuth wrote:
    Thanks SBezza. A super day out - masses to see and do and thousands of cyclists out and about enjoying themselves. It's just as well the sun shone!

How did everyone else get on? Did you enjoy it?

Ruth

I went with my wife and our 7 year old son along with a member of our triathlon club, Evolution Tri (from Windsor) and we had a great day. After competing in the TT we enjoyed watching the rest of the TT, Brompton race, the trials guys and also the cyclo-cross. Our son really enjoyed the Go Ride and family ride around the grounds.

We all got our preparation wrong for the TT, it was a little colder before 9am and we didn't warm up at all. The first time I turned a pedal was when I started. I couldn't understand why some of the course was so hard, but the climb to the highest part of the course just didn't look like it was going up! After that it was ok but even when I topped 35mph I still felt like I was going through treacle.

I squeezed in just under 37 minutes, which was only 1 minute under my target time of 36 minutes, so given my poor preparation it wasn't too bad at all.

I'm keen to know the distance as accurately as possible to see if I averaged over 20mph, I'd be happy with that.

My wife got under 44 minutes so she's really happy as she's really a triathlete and hasn't done much cycle training lately.

I learned a lot and I'm so keen on improving for next year. A sub-35 time and getting in the top 100 would be fantastic. I may also have a go at the cyclo-cross on my mtb.

Dunedin
  • Dunedin397 wrote:
    I squeezed in just under 37 minutes, which was only 1 minute under my target time of 36 minutes, so given my poor preparation it wasn't too bad at all.

I'm keen to know the distance as accurately as possible to see if I averaged over 20mph, I'd be happy with that.

My wife got under 44 minutes so she's really happy as she's really a triathlete and hasn't done much cycle training lately.

I learned a lot and I'm so keen on improving for next year. A sub-35 time and getting in the top 100 would be fantastic. I may also have a go at the cyclo-cross on my mtb.

Dunedin

By my calculations (course distance per my Garmin was 12.29 miles), you needed to have done a 36:52 to have averaged 20mph....

If I can give you some inspiration here please look at this thread:-

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... c&start=23
  • love2ride
    love2ride Posts: 224
    I got 31st over all and 5th under 18. Not bad for a 14 yr old :)
  • BeaconRuth
    love2ride wrote:
    :shock: Wow, Love2ride! That's very impressive indeed. You've probably got quite a bit of growing still to do so you can't really compare yourself with the juniors who are 16 or 17.

You got 1st under 14 year old at the GHS 10 too I think? Your ride at Blenheim was a step better than that IMO - congratulations! Keep working at it as you've obviously got a lot of potential. :D

Ruth
  • Airwave
    Airwave Posts: 483
    love2ride wrote:

Nice one :D