cut gate.....peak district

altern_8
altern_8 Posts: 1,562
edited October 2009 in MTB rides
looking at riding it 2mor(thurs 22 oct)...was wondering if anyone knows how rideable it will be after the rain today,if it drains well or will it be boggy....cheers in advance.

Comments

• sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Its been fairly dry for the past few weeks and as its exposed it gets a fair bit of wind so it will be damp in places but not the bog it can be after long wet spells.The repairs have settled in well and help with drainage,some sections will still be a bit muddy though.
  • It will be a bog.

But why would that stop you? Accept the challenge and feel the exhilaration of success.
  • Is it as good as people say?

EDIT: Just done a search, looks pretty impressive, probably start in Langsett.
  • sniper68
    It will be a bog.

But why would that stop you? Accept the challenge and feel the exhilaration of success.
    We've done it 6 or 7 times this year,the last being about a month or so ago.Its the driest i've seen it it since 2005.It my local trail i'm only 7 miles from Langsett 8)
  • sniper68
    Is it as good as people say?

EDIT: Just done a search, looks pretty impressive, probably start in Langsett.
    We start from Langsett,you miss out the 4 miles of fireroad around the Reservoirs at Ladybower and you get to do the long Mickledon edge descent last 8)
  • mingmong
    mingmong Posts: 542
    Was up there this weekend and it was dry as sticks.

Have to agree through, it can get heavy with an evenings rain.

Yes, it's good. (My cardio isn't through)
  • Biggus86
    Biggus86 Posts: 385
    Lets start with... it was NOT dry haha, towards the top it was like the trenches of WWI... Was a great ride though, and some great DH/rocky sections in the river. Not too keen on the 0% traction in the mud though, at one point i thought we was orienteering haha
  • Aye, like Biggus says, it was a bit of a grind in parts due to the mud and water. It seemed a hard climb from about 2 miles all the way until you reached the DH into Resevoir, which was nice and fast.

Coming back along the the DH which was now a climb was particularly hard with it being very slippery. But the whole ride was definitely worth it, once you hit the boggy section at the top, which in turn brought you to the grin inducing descent all the way back to the forest.

Nice :lol:
  • I'm gonna have my first go at it in the morning :shock: The arm bands and snorkel have been packed :D
  • altern_8
    altern_8 Posts: 1,562
    I'm gonna have my first go at it in the morning :shock: The arm bands and snorkel have been packed :D

good luck mate...a lot of pushing bike going out and a bit coming back,but once you get back to the top coming back its worth it.......just dont 4get ure arm bands and snorkel :lol:
  • jools182
    jools182 Posts: 216
    I've still not managed to stay on the bike on the descent back towards the stream that leads to the reservoir :oops:
  • sniper68
    jools182 wrote:
    I've still not managed to stay on the bike on the descent back towards the stream that leads to the reservoir :oops:

The one dropping down Cranberry Clough to Howden res(Ladybower)or the one coming off Hingcliff Hill into North America woods at the Langsett end?
  • jools182
    Cranberry Clough to Howden res

just the middle bit where the path splits and the walkers go down the steps
  • We had to abort it this morning, the wind was that strong you could'nt stay on the bikes up the long drag! After all being blown off (oo err) a few times we decided to pick a different route. I'm sure it was the right decision, still managed a 30+ mile ride with some good hills and descents.
    Must go back and do it another time - can't let it beat me :oops:
  • jools182
    I had to cut my ride short today too, because I felt like shit :(
  • sniper68
    jools182 wrote:
    Cranberry Clough to Howden res

just the middle bit where the path splits and the walkers go down the steps
    We've done the steps.........once,by accident.A never to be repeated experience :D
    Its a tight left hander there and can easily catch you out.
  • jools182
    I'll do it one day :)