what a muppet!!!!

welshkev
welshkev Posts: 9,690
edited October 2009 in MTB general
my brother in law just bought a new bike and had it delivered to my house. he picked it up on monday night and off he went happy as larry to play with his new toy. he took the front wheel off so he could put it in his car and off he went.

i then have a phone call at about 9.30 last night saying "you know that thru axle thingy, are they expensive?" now i'm thinking "why?"

he'd only gone and taken the thru axle out to get the wheel off and then forgotten to put it in the car and left it on the side of the road!!! i was there last night in the pissing down rain with a torch looking like a car thief as i searched the gutters and under cars for it.

luckily i found it, he definately owes me a beer now. :D

Comments

• bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    arf. great story!

bleed him for all he's worth!
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • Mad Max
    Mad Max Posts: 124
    Niiiiiiiice. I thought you was going to say he left it on top of the car. I have left loads of stuff on my car roof and driven off.
    RETRO IS THE FUTURE.
  • MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    What a muppet! I have never EVER left my Maxles in the garage and driven miles for a ride.EVER.
    OK maybe once :oops:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • welshkev
    :lol: at least you knew where you left them lol
  • Last set of wheels I bought (second hand) I spent about 20 minutes after they arrived phoning around and looking on the internet for a "thicker than regular qr, about 9mm". Local bike shop didn't have a clue.

Anyway after the 20 minutes I found said ritcheys skraxel taped to the inside of the box :D
  • Biggus86
    Biggus86 Posts: 385
    LMAO.... that'll keep me entertained all day haha
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    :oops: :oops: :oops:

I used to have a system in place. I'd drive to the pub Fri/Sat night, and so I didn't spend the next day on the sofa feeling sorry for myself, I'd get up the next day, ride 10 miles or so to my Car, load up my bike and ride home.

Fantastic system, nothing like 10 miles of cold wind in your face to blow out the cobwebs.

Except.... I used to have to remove the front wheel too, to get it in the boot.

Left it once, leaning against a bin outside the pub, for about 4 hours. It was still there when I got back. Custom built Mavic/Hope wheel, all the fancy spoke, 203mm rotor and new Highroller on it. Lucky to get it back.

Which was bad enough, did the same thing about a month later...
  • welshkev
    how far away is your local pub? you must live in the sticks :D
  • P-Jay
    welshkev wrote:
    how far away is your local pub? you must live in the sticks :D

Well, it's local to where I grew up/mates live, not actually local to where I lived at the time :lol::lol:

I lived in Barry Waterfront bck then, no way I was going out drinking in Barry!! :shock:
  • muddylegs
    muddylegs Posts: 485
    I had a phone call from a work friend this morning to say that i had left my front wheel on his lawn last night right next to the road. I can not bellive it was still there. I took it out to put the bike in the car then tied the bike in place got in the car and drove off. :oops:
  • I always put the Maxle back in the forks when the wheels out after I almost forgot it!
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • Shorty12
    Shorty12 Posts: 478
    I once left my front wheel in the car park :oops:
  • Shorty12
    Shorty12 Posts: 478
    I once left my front wheel in the car park :oops:
  • welshkev
    it looks like maybe he sin't such a muppet after all then :lol:

i always put my maxle back in aswell..but now i've started this thread i'm gonna forget it somewhere aren't i? :?
  • Turrican
    Turrican Posts: 755
    Yeah i weent with mate to local woods about 6 - 7 miles away and when he came to paick me up i had to take wheel off and when we got there i thought i lost the my maxle i looked every where cursing as i would of had to sit in a pub unitl they got back but, i put it in my back pack :? :P so i still could go for a ride :D . Now i think ill fit it back on the forks or wheel from now on.
    I don't have a bike addiction problem.....bikes seems to have a problem with me.....it just can't seem to stay on.

http://www.moredirt.co.uk/users/FlowRideR661/
    http://flowrider661.pinkbike.com/
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I once spent several hours with a girlfriend, driving around looking for her phone. She worked as a recovery driver, and reckoned she'd left it by the side of the road when she picked up someone's car. We spent ages trawling up and down the sides od the A55 with torches, looking for it. Then we went to a car dealers she'd been to, then to another garage, etc etc. All in all, about 5 hours of looking. Didn't find it.
    When we got home, she goes to get changed out of her work clothes, and finds the bloody thing in her pocket with a flat battery :roll:
  • P-Jay
    Ok, own up, who's been looking for glasses for ages that they were wearing?

I once spent 20 mins swearing my way around the house looking for some keys that were in my hand.
  • My mate left his on the top of his car last year and drove away blissfully ignorant. He went back to look for it once he'd realised (a couple of days later) but he never found it.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super