Pushing yourself?

zummerzet-lou
zummerzet-lou Posts: 95
I'm after some advice please ...

I went out cycling last week, and because they were much faster than myself, I had to really push myself to try and keep up. Because of this, I clocked up a reasonable average speed (for me).

Went out alone today, and I just can't help but dawdle ... I try and get a good speed, but the minute I start getting a little out of breath, or my legs tire I ease off.

Other than amassing huge amounts of willpower, what should I be trying to do .. and how?

I'm guessing some intervals may help ... set lengths at full pelt, rest, and repeat?

Anything else?

TIA,

Lou

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Ride with that group on a regular basis!
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    A yearly membership to a good club is the best value v improvement factor thing you can do for your cycling.
  • Quick Fix
    Buy tyres with less rolling resistance - Improved my average by 5kph immediately

Long term
    Yes intervals. Generally, I'd recommend creating something that works for you. For me, it was 20 second bursts, repeated as many times until I got bored. Usually four on the way out, three on the way back.

Using different muscle groups, eg pulling on the up stroke as opposed to the usual pushing on the downstrokes, and spinning. Also, when climbing, use a much higher gear than usual so that you are really pushing hard - start with 1 minute and increase up to 5 minutes. The theory about using different muscle groups is that your enabling the muscles not being used to recuperate.

Accelerate into and over the crest of a hill. Start about 20 revolutions out and gradually start the acceleration earlier.

If you note your speed at the point that you get out of breath, don't go so hard, but keep it at that level. you should find that you can keep that for longer - and of course, longer still on subsequent rides.

Use your rides as technique improving as opposed to just trying as hard as possible on every ride, your average will dip to begin with, but as you continue to focus on technique your average will improve. Certainly, that's what I have found. Last year my average went up 1.5 kph, this year another 2.kph. I'd also recommend - if you have the money - to buy a turbo. AS a result of having one over last winter, I found that I could start cycling on the road this season at the same level I left at the previous season.

AND, if you don't fuel up on the road, you should be. Sports drinks or gels.
    The ultimate cruelty of love's pinions
  • get a singlespeed / fixie... i found the same thing that i'd get into my comfort zone on a geared bike and just stay there - now every hill/headwind i'm out of my comfort zone... after 18 years of cycling seriously, going singlespeed for training is the best thing i've done