Troutelight Lumen Liberator

Dazzza
Dazzza Posts: 2,364
edited November 2009 in MTB general
For those that aren't familiar with troutie, he's a guy who shares a passion for bike lights and over the years has knocked up some lovely lights, this is his latest incarnation the 2200 lumen liberator.

It has a lexan bottom so light gets spilled out underneath lighting the trail better and it works, these use the very latest xp-g led's about a week old and 350 lumens a piece.

Price for the unit is £190 built up £160 diy, prices are approximate and subject to change of course.

Weight wise the unit is about 88 grammes plus battery so very light, quality is superb, on low mode it outshines a p7 and high is just plain silly, the light is also whiter the p7 by comparison is very blue.

Run times are about 2-2.5 hrs on full 4-5 on low mode from a 2.6ah pack.

Troutie can also point you towards smudge for batteries, £46 for a 2.6ah and £23 for a charger, £85 for a 5.2ah again prices can change there again they are a quality item.

I feel privileged for having his latest light as im one of three people in the uk to have it.

http://www.troutie.com/mainpage.html

First a 2 mode mte p7

p1050156c.jpg
Shot with DMC-FZ8 at 2009-10-16

Control

p1050148n.jpg

Low mode

p1050149b.jpg

Obscene mode

p1050151q.jpg

Glowing

p1050153.jpg

More pics

p1050155.jpg

p1050152a.jpg
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
Giant Anthem X

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What voltage is the battery pack?
  • Dazzza
    14.8v li-ion, has to be at least 14.8v otherwise you fry the driver, i think you can go as high as 18v, it's a maxflex driver inside which is a good solid driver.
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X
  • M6TTF
    M6TTF Posts: 602
    Great product, and great to see someone pushing the technology! Hard to tell the physical size of the unit though? Would like to see a shot of the light and battery in situ on the bike :) been following the thread on stw, but don't post over there as it's full of irritating drama queens!
  • :shock: Good lord! Any brighter and I think you risk planes landing on your head.
    [tart] I assume that the anodized case in theory could be done in other colours too [/tart]
    Begs the question, if he can do these for £190, where exactly do the likes of Hope, Lupine etc get their prices from? You may be able to argue that that the P7s are not quite to the same standard, but not this.
    VERY impressive light there.
  • Dazzza
    Yeah there are quite a few but if you're prepared to ignore the drama queens there are some great people on there.

The light itself isn't much bigger than your typical rear light yes that small say 3 inches across.

I'll take a pic of it all mounted up later on, i have to wash the bike for tomorrow anyway as i fancy an early or late ride out, have to test it afterall. ;)

Cwnt well lupine etc charge so much, they have staff to pay design teams that make them etc troutie is just a one man operation so charges not much more than cost value say an extra £30 for what id pay for the bits.

As for the tart in you here you go, im sure he can do more. ;)

The light is truly ridiculous btw, no light in low mode has ever satisfied me until now. :lol:

on the back it even has a status led, he said it'll glow red when 14v and below once the pack hits 13.3v it'll flash telling you to stay on low to limp home.

lumen-liberator069.jpg
    Giant Anthem X
  • obscene mode is well.................obscene.
  • scotto
    scotto Posts: 381
    what kind of batteries does it use are they uk or hong kong stylee?
  • BurtonM
    BurtonM Posts: 425
    Obscene mode...... is it even dark around there. The damn thing works like a floodlight. If only I had 190 pounds :(
    yeehaamcgee wrote:

That's like saying i want a door for my car that doesn't meet the roof, because I once had the wind blow it shut when I was getting in, and I had my head squished between, well, the door and the roof.
  • Dazzza
    edited October 2009
    scotto wrote:
    what kind of batteries does it use are they uk or hong kong stylee?

Typically you use a 14.8v li-ion pack but it can be any so long it's 14.8v-18v anything more or less will fry the driver inside.

I got a pack from his mate smudge, 2.6ah is about £46 and £23 for the charger.

Going from looks id say they're made up from 18650 cells.

Batteries are batteries so not really sure what you mean unless you mean charging wise they're uk plugged, figure of eight lead actually which is handy for those of us that already have the ultrafire charger from the torches.

The plug on the back is a typical 2.5dc plug, same as what lumicycle use only for some odd reason lumi negatively wire their gear which is a bit arse about face to everyone else who use positive wired plugs.

The switch is quite big and chunky, feels nice and solid and most importantly weatherproof, it's military spec i believe.
    Giant Anthem X
  • scotto
    I see, just am using the 18650 on my mte torches and in 8 weeks two of the six i bought from dx (2600 trustfire) have died, not exploded like some claim, just died.

This is really annoying as last night 75 minutes into my ride before turning round I put one of these in the torch and of course, no light ! So a real issue for me, am looking for some 18650's that don't die and therefore was hoping this system used something different and more dependable.

I know you can send them back and/or order more, but turnaround for dx is not getting any quicker and now with only 4 batteries left I am restricted to how long I can be out there for.

So currently looking for a better quality solution.
  • Dazzza
    I know smudge uses quality cells, he's been building battery packs for over 20 years and it shows, he tests the cells before building anyway.

Oh it's a quality light, certainly holds it's own up against the big boys that's for sure, i've had expensive systems in the past and this one trumps all of them.
    Giant Anthem X
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If the cells have died, it sounds like the protection circuit has kicked in. Maybe the charger is faulty?
  • scotto
    what make are the cells please?
  • scotto
    supersonic wrote:
    If the cells have died, it sounds like the protection circuit has kicked in. Maybe the charger is faulty?

yes ok how would I know which one of the two chargers is faulty though? :-)

you see my problem?
  • Dazzza
    Here's what it looks like on the bars, about to nip out and test it, back up being taken along of course, it's incredibly neat and tidy, just the way i like it i'll probably stick with the 2.6ah packs.

p1050157p.jpg
    Shot with DMC-FZ8 at 2009-10-17

p1050158.jpg
    Shot with DMC-FZ8 at 2009-10-17
    Giant Anthem X
  • Hey Up Daz

Nice post Thanks

You can swop over the mount to the other side so it sits over the stem
    Just dont pull the base plate off as you will need to reseal it if you do .
  • Andy
    Andy Posts: 8,207
    Troutie wrote:
    Just dont pull the base plate off as you will need to reseal it if you do .

Do all lights come with those instructions? :shock:
  • Andy
    Is the mount adjustable at all? Could limit compatibilty if its fixed?

Whats the weight of the light and batteries all in?
  • Dazzza
    Don't know about all in but the unit is around 88 grammes.

The mount is adjustable, chris is thinking about doing a spacer that raises the light and will supply longer bolts to accommodate it, remember this is the first of three lights in the uk or the world for that matter im sure he'll refine it.

Just fire him an email through his site.

The mount can fit either side or for security for an extra £15 im sure he can supply another.

Aah hey chris, i've left it on that side for pics, the computer sensor is playing up so i might just remove the thing in a mo anyway.

Nice to see you on the forum btw. :)
    Giant Anthem X
  • Andy
    Where do you get batteries from?
  • Dazzza
    Smudger.

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/profile/smudge

Just gotback from my first ride, yup im impressed, nearly ran over a total of three bunnies tonight who didn't know what do do with themselves. :lol:

If i was to sum them up, it's a bit like this scene. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qc_RYm0ylA
    Giant Anthem X
  • With a nickname like mine i am seriously tempted to get a set of these :D

Is the light waterproof ? and do you get any sort of warranty with it ?

Thanks

Paul
  • scotto
    what make are the cells?
  • Dazzza
    Waterproof to 1 meter i believe as for warranty id be very surprised as he's just one bloke, but if any problems arise im sure he'll sort you out, they are top quality imo anyway.

As for batteries you'll have to ask smudge, i think they might be samsung cells but im not 100%
    Giant Anthem X
  • Dazzza,

Excellent Thread with great photos and info.
    I've been contemplating investing in a good bike light set for some night rides this winter and the Troutlight has been something I was considering. It sure outperforms the more expensive "brand" names available.
    Good to see it's available as an assembled item and that there are packs to match it.
    I am certainly going to give this product serious consideration after reading this Thread.

Thanks..
  • scotto
    Dazzza wrote:
    Waterproof to 1 meter i believe as for warranty id be very surprised as he's just one bloke, but if any problems arise im sure he'll sort you out, they are top quality imo anyway.

As for batteries you'll have to ask smudge, i think they might be samsung cells but im not 100%

Thanks, don't you own one of these lights though, can't you tell what make they are?
  • Dazzza
    They are sealed packs, from what i can gather they are samsung 18650 cells but don't quote me on it, id imagine smudge tests them before building them anyway, i've heard of no bad reports that's for sure.

They seem to hold quite a bit of charge, my pack starts at 14.8v when it hits 14v the red light should come on, with a 2 hour ride it didn't make a showing so there was plenty of charge left.

Why not ask smudge, he posts on mtbr and singletrack im sure he can answer.

Giant Anthem X
  • Spoke to Smudge last night and can confirm he uses good quality Samsung cells in his batteries .
  • scotto
    Dazzza wrote:
    They are sealed packs, from what i can gather they are samsung 18650 cells but don't quote me on it, id imagine smudge tests them before building them anyway, i've heard of no bad reports that's for sure.

They seem to hold quite a bit of charge, my pack starts at 14.8v when it hits 14v the red light should come on, with a 2 hour ride it didn't make a showing so there was plenty of charge left.

Why not ask smudge, he posts on mtbr and singletrack im sure he can answer.

nice one, much appreciated.
  • Some of you may have seen http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/trouties-new-light-is-on-the-way-update-to-all-interested-folks-who-emailed-me on another forum about home build lights.

Well here are some pictures of the New Troutelight called the LUMEN LIBERATOR as it arrived yesterday and I can't wait for this weeks night ride.

Trout.jpg
    Trout Light - approx 1600 lumens
    Fully built up with 2 x 2.5hour (on full power) batteries for £300, but you can buy it as a kit and build it up yourself and use your existing batteries (if they are suitable)

First off, how do the "standard" lights compare
    These test shots were taken with a standard quick exposure of 1/8th second

Ay Up helmet spot lights (18 months old)
    1AyUpquick.jpg

Light & Motion Li-Ion Arc Light (2 years old)
    2Li-ionQuick.jpg

The new Trout lights on LOW setting
    Troutlowsetting.jpg

Now the Trouts on Full Power
    3Troutquick.jpg

Now tonights better weather test
    Daytime shot
    Daytime.jpg

Night time shot of the same field Exposure for 4 seconds (once you eyes get accustomed to the light it looks more like this)
    091025WhichShadesForNightRiding.jpg
    Now what shades should I wear?

Glowinthedark.jpg
    Finally there is even a glow in the dark backing to the light so you can find it in the dark (don't ask)

BTW I'm not linked to Trout (Chris) I just feel inventers like this need suport as it will get the "mainstream" companies to try and catch up

More info here http://www.troutie.com/mainpage.html