Thetford Forest

goonerkev
goonerkev Posts: 83
edited October 2009 in Routes
Hello, Was just wondering if anyone has ridden around thetford lately?Ive heard through grapevinesit has improved a little bit in that they have made the red run a little more dificult, is this true?I know its not going to be extreme in any stretch of the imagination but was just wondering if it has been made more interesting. Cheers Kev

Comments

• The Red run is the best one there in my opinion.

Its fast, smooth and interesting for a good workout.

The Black may be technical but in an annoying way, and besides, its very holey.
  • Yeh thats basically what i have heard that the red is the better run, its been a few years since ive ridden there better get back and have a ride to make a judgement :D where do you normally ride???
  • pte1643
    pte1643 Posts: 518
    If you've not been for a few years, then yes, the Red has been improved quite a bit.

It's never going to be the most technical place... It's in Flatest East Anglia afterall, but it's a good workout, and flows really well.
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    i did the red and black on thursday, red is so quick now with all the concrete burms etc but far from challenging! black just drives me nuts! not fun whatsoever all that bobbing up and down at a snails pace! grr :evil:
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • bigmart
    bigmart Posts: 87
    VWSurfbum wrote:
    i did the red and black on thursday, red is so quick now with all the concrete burms etc but far from challenging! black just drives me nuts! not fun whatsoever all that bobbing up and down at a snails pace! grr :evil:

We though the same last time, Black run is F***ked, holes are not techincal, there just holes, theres no flow and no rythem on it.
    Red was quite good though, not really a red grade run compared to else where, neither is the black, we saw people riding it in flip flops last time!
  • lol i know the gradin is complete nonsense cheers for the info though not to sure now i think it could be bedgebury :D
  • Shimano do clipless sandals :lol: could be messy if it goes wrong

[/url]http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Shimano_SD65_Sandals/5360020450/
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    what the hell are they all about!
    "dear shimano, WHy O Why O why did you waste your time making these"
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • jt_6_4
    jt_6_4 Posts: 39
    I'm was new to mountain biking this summer, have been going to thetford and thought the same about the black being holey but wasn't sure if it was just because I'm a newbie. Neither I nor my girlfriend's cousin could get speed up on it!
  • Went over Thetford 2 weeks ago while I was staying with the family at Centre Parcs, being the first time i've been on a set out bike route,

Got up early, went over there got lost and ended up on the black route. Wow this is so bumpy, my behind was killing me but I enjoyed the non bumpy parts and the beast (name is a bit keen for this). Also like the bomb holes things. Only problem being it rained like hell and i was skidding all over the place.

Then went on the red route the following day, Its was good but found the wide tracks parts boring but the tight bits were good through the forest and the new bits they have added with little jumps.

It was closed but I went under the rope and kept going, much easier on the body and if there early not a bike to be seen.
    Specialized Rockhopper Comp 2008
  • pte1643
    mattfefc wrote:
    It was closed but I went under the rope and kept going

Ever thought it was closed for a reason? :roll:
  • Firstly I apologise for going on there when it was closed.

I can't make any real excuses as I saw a red tape between the trees and with it hammering down with rain. I thought with the route being one way (Being lost) and after being out for a 2 hours I took the decision to go on as I needed to get back home. I would of felt bad if this was closed due to them doing up the route but was informed it was down to heavy machinery cutting down nearby trees which makes me feel a bit better

I have noticed that I've been called an Idiot on the Timber forum by yourself, cheers for that. Although I did wrong sir, i noticed there was a bike going the wrong way on the black route, litter on the routes,people on hearing moaning about the place and someone who goes to another website and calls you an idiot. All far worst in my opinion

Apologies to Timber, keep up the good work and will look to contribute something to you in the near future
    Specialized Rockhopper Comp 2008
  • Yes, this is true. the red route got a big overhaul in the summer. new faster banks and turns. as well as some balance beems and table tops. its now really good. would highly recommend it.
  • pte1643
    mattfefc wrote:
    Firstly I apologise for going on there when it was closed.....

.....Apologies to Timber, keep up the good work and will look to contribute something to you in the near future

As you say, a lot of people do moan and groan about Thetford, but here in "Flatest" East Anglia we're not blessed with an abundance of (Official) places to ride.

The Timber group do (and have done) a lot to improve the trails, mostly the Red of late.
    It's also worth noting that it's still a work in progress. There are some more plans to improve it further, and bring it up the technical level to "Proper" Red status.

Problem is, although the group have some excellent ideas, it seems the relationship between them and the FC is a fairly fragile one. I'm not sure why, as MTB groups in other areas get along with their respective FC's.

There is some talk on the Timber forum at the moment, regarding the apparent safety of the Table Top feature (on the Red). It seems someone has been hurt by falling off it.
    As such the FC aren't too happy with it being there, certainly not in it's current form. Let's hope we don't have to lose it altogether.

I just feel, that for those of us who ride there regularly, it's best to try and keep the FC onside as much as possible.

One other point you brought up... The litter, on the Red especially, is shocking sometimes.
    What's up with some people?
    Mostly plastic water/drinks bottles, when they are empty they don't weigh anything! Just put them back in your bag and take them back to the car park bins.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    People round Norfolk dont seem to give a fck so it doesnt surprise me about rubbish.

Really want to move outa this county.
  • pte1643
    Briggo wrote:
    People round Norfolk dont seem to give a fck so it doesnt surprise me about rubbish.

Really want to move outa this county.

Is it any better elsewhere?

Whole bluddy country's gone to pot.
  • bigmart
    bigmart Posts: 87
    [quote=There is some talk on the Timber forum at the moment, regarding the apparent safety of the Table Top feature (on the Red). It seems someone has been hurt by falling off it.
    .[/quote]

This countries gone mad, if someone gets that idea that falling of a mountain bike is the FC/Trail makers fault and whats it fixing!

Good bye all trail centres, downhill tracks and maybe even roads?

If I fall off its because I chose to ride it and daft enough to ride faster than I can handle! :lol: