Training - Watts or Not

Velke
Velke Posts: 61
Following a knee injury to my ACL 3 months ago I'm starting training using a Cycleops Fluid 2 Trainer to whch i've connected a Cateye Strada Cadence Cycle Computer.

Notice on a few Forums people leaving details of their training details and a number of them report the Watts that they've produced in a training seesion. I'm looking to regain fitness and lose a few pounds gain over the last few months.

Should i be interested in the Watts and if so how do i calculate the Watts or just work on Cadence, Speed, Ave Speed and HR?
Specialized Roubaix Elite - Ultegra Di2
Canyon Inflite 9.0 - Ultegra

Comments

• Just my opinion but

ask yourself whether you are a scientist or an artist by temperament.

if the former, go down the whole watts route, if the latter don't.

In my case, after a lot of self examination I realised I was the latter which is why I don't even use an HRM - I go by feel e.g. zone6 is my brains are leaking out of my ears, recovery I barley press the pedals.

Essentially you are doing this to enjoy it, if you enjoy the numbers graphs etc do so, if not there ARE other ways to train.
  • Velke
    Velke Posts: 61
    Paul

Thanks for the reply, think I'll join your camp and cycle to my body's mindset, easier to understand and lot less complicated.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite - Ultegra Di2
    Canyon Inflite 9.0 - Ultegra
  • Seems like you've got your answer. When training for the 2008 Marmotte I started off with a HRM which I'd been using religiously since 2003 (Polar 720i). I'd been interested in and fascinated by HRM zones and training. But. I threw it away after a month of Marmotte training in about Nov 2007 as it was doing my nut in! My rides were dominated by HR and long rides in particular became boring and mentally difficult. So I went on RPE and enjoyed training and sportives including the Marmotte much much more as a result. Made turbo training harder, but you tune into RPE after a bit, so stick with it.

Having said that, if power meters were £200 I'd buy one tomorrow. Numbers geek with the heart of an artist. Damn.
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    Just my opinion but

ask yourself whether you are a scientist or an artist by temperament.

if the former, go down the whole watts route, if the latter don't.

In my case, after a lot of self examination I realised I was the latter which is why I don't even use an HRM - I go by feel e.g. zone6 is my brains are leaking out of my ears, recovery I barley press the pedals.

Essentially you are doing this to enjoy it, if you enjoy the numbers graphs etc do so, if not there ARE other ways to train.

Great advice. Suggest above is put as a sticky. It might save quite a bit of heat.
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • NJK
    NJK Posts: 194
    If you want to train properly and get maximum results from your training there is only one answer. I heard Pantani been described as an artist once. He used a power-meter in training and definately wasn't as random as he probably let on. The technology is there, if you can afford it use it i say!