Fabric glue for some new bibshorts with a bit of a split....

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,538
edited October 2009 in Commuting chat
Hello all,

I very recently bought a pair of these Cannondale bibtights.
14876.jpg
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=14876

Basically, they are a fairly standard bibshort, but they are waterprood anf breathable.

They fit me fine, but the one issue is that around the abdomen area at the front, the material has come apart slightly, and I can see, what I assume to be, the waterproof layer in the middle.

My concern is that this is going to open up with successive washes, and make them unuseable.

So I had them all packaged up to send off, but now see they have run out of stock.

So I am wondering if I can make a DIY fix that will work, so I am thinking some kind of fabric glue that might do the trick, ut obviously needs to be waterproof to 30C.

My GF suggested "Bondaway" but this needs to be applied with an iron, and as these have a 'no iron' symbol on them, I am worried it might just melt the whole thing.

Any ideas, or suggestions anyone?

Would I be mad to try and stitch it, do you think the skin irritation factor would be too high??

Cheers

Dan
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    Copydex is fabric glue - personally though I'd send them back and get a refund.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Needle and thread - is the split on the padding ?
  • daniel_b
    Thanks for the replies,

from what I can see, the waterprod membrane is sandwiched inbetween two layers of material, so for a 2" section I can see the membrane.

This split is just on the front of the bibshorts, think around where your belly button is, so the lowest part on the curve if you will.

Am wondering if needle and thread might be easier, but just worried about irritation possibilities.

I did think about sending them back, but they fit really well, and feel really warm, which will be a boon for the depth of winter rides I feel.

Any more replies/ideas greatly appreciated!

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Daniel B wrote:
    Thanks for the replies,

from what I can see, the waterprod membrane is sandwiched inbetween two layers of material, so for a 2" section I can see the membrane.

This split is just on the front of the bibshorts, think around where your belly button is, so the lowest part on the curve if you will.

Am wondering if needle and thread might be easier, but just worried about irritation possibilities.

I did think about sending them back, but they fit really well, and feel really warm, which will be a boon for the depth of winter rides I feel.

Any more replies/ideas greatly appreciated!

Dan

Is your needlework good enough to just stitch the top layer together, without passing through the membrane/rear layer - 'cos then irritation won't be a factor....
  • daniel_b
    PBo wrote:

Is your needlework good enough to just stitch the top layer together, without passing through the membrane/rear layer - 'cos then irritation won't be a factor....

But there are only 3 layers in play here.

The outer bib material, the 'sandwiched' membrane, and then the bibshort material closest to the skin.

Think of it like a custard cream if you will!

custardcream9.jpg
    One biscuit being the outer bib material, the cream being the waterproof membrane, and the other biscuit being the meterial closest to the skin.

So on mine the biscuit and the cream and the other biscuit are no longer attached together.

So if I am do do any sewing, and I am a dab hand if I do say so myself, I will at least need to sew from the outer to the inner layer, probably ignoring the membrane, as this will just get sandwiched inbetween anyway.
    So there will be thread against the skin.

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    ahhhh my bad - i thought you meant that the top layer of biscuit had cracked and separated, earth quake stylee,

(sadly, I tried to recreate this with the custard creams in my house, to photograph - epic fail to do so means my breakfast this morning has been 6 custard creams.....)

(even more sadly, I then searched for an image on tinterweb to no avail - and realised that you had just linked to an image, rather than take the photo yourself....)

I need a job...... :x
  • daniel_b
    No worries PBo,

an easy misunderstanding to have, and a useful by product of a 6 custard cream breakfast - nutricious!

Anyone have any opinion on the stitching/versus glue solution?

Or should I just send em back? :?

Cheers

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    For those (and there must be many!) that are interested, I reckon I am going to try some of this stuff:

Bostik6.jpg

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18