The laws of Gravity, Physics and others

BurtonM
BurtonM Posts: 425
edited October 2009 in MTB general
Why do they not apply to mountain biking ?
I think its alright to say that in most cases. The faster you go, the safer you are....
Its a bloody backward sport but i love it
yeehaamcgee wrote:

That's like saying i want a door for my car that doesn't meet the roof, because I once had the wind blow it shut when I was getting in, and I had my head squished between, well, the door and the roof.

Comments

• benneally
    benneally Posts: 973
    Im pretty sure they do apply to mountain biking...
    And yes, i feel that the faster you go the more stable you are in a straight line, which is what the saying is getting at.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    BurtonM wrote:
    I think its alright to say that in most cases. The faster you go, the safer you are....

Yup, because of the laws of physics :lol: Wheels add stability once they're spinning, frinstance.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • benneally
    its more to do with momentum and your inertia.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    BurtonM wrote:
    Why do they not apply to mountain biking ?
    They do. The confusion is that very few mountain bikers understand physics.
  • KonaKurt
    KonaKurt Posts: 720
    I understand physics very well. I have a degree in the subject. I must be one of those few biker s then! Alot of young kids today don't know very much at all, I find...

Physics is everything and everywhere. Cycling and riding techniques are direct applied physics. Good old Mr Newton and his laws of mechanics, where would engineering be without them.

KK of ye olde Oxford.

PS: Mind you, I notice stuffy looking Oxford graduates everyday who don't look like they have a clue about how to ride a bike properly...let alone safely!!
  • Anonymous
    KonaKurt wrote:
    PS: Mind you, I notice stuffy looking Oxford graduates everyday who don't look like they have a clue about how to ride a bike properly...let alone safely!!
    Haha! true.

I often wish that we could apply the laws of quantum mechanics, retroactively, to riding.
    For example, if you crash, then you just decide that the path you went down is not, after all the one you took, since you can be in several places at the same time.
    Also, on top of a moor, in a T-shirt, when the weather turns foul, I'd much rather be the "me" that's at home and decided not to go riding today :lol:
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    KonaKurt wrote:
    Physics is everything and everywhere. Cycling and riding techniques are direct applied physics. Good old Mr Newton and his laws of mechanics, where would engineering be without them.

About 100 years in the past. Just because Newtonian laws work doesn't mean they are correct.
  • benneally
    KonaKurt wrote:

its because oxford is a crap university.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    And it aint the gyroscopic effect of the wheels at speed that keeps you stable either.
  • KonaKurt
    benneally wrote:
    KonaKurt wrote:

its because oxford is a crap university.

:lol:

I'll second that! Especially as it's not the one I went to! I went to a proper working class uni (if there is such a thing!)

KK
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    witchcraft! thats how we stay on. mountainbiking is built on anchant spells and rules, why do you think we spend so much time in the woods?

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • KonaKurt
    wordnumb wrote:
    KonaKurt wrote:

About 100 years in the past. Just because Newtonian laws work doesn't mean they are correct.

?? Strange logic! Are you an MP?

Of course they are correct! If they were not, NASA would not be able to launch a single vessel into space!

KK.
  • supersonic
    Depends how accurate you want to be! In the relativistic world and high velocities you must compensate.
  • benneally
    Nothing can ever be proved right. Things can only be proved not to be true.
  • benneally
    except algebraic maths stuff
  • supersonic
    Oh bloody hell, philosophy too!

Newtonian laws work well for most applications on earth though.
  • Anonymous
    benneally wrote:
    Nothing can ever be proved right. Things can only be proved not to be true.
    yes they can. That's when a "theory" becomes a "law"
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    gravity is affected by light, its easyer to drop stuff in the dark

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • supersonic
    Hercule Q wrote:
    gravity is affected by light, its easyer to drop stuff in the dark

lol, very good!
  • KonaKurt
    Hahahahah!! This thread is turning into some kind of lecture! When is the poetry corner? Have I missed it, or do I have time to fetch a quill pen and give a pondering expression!

All scientific laws and theories are correct, and stay correct until someone else can not only prove they are wrong, bu tcan also prove a new one is accurate.

As Super says, basic physics work well for most of us. We are people not light photons.

KK.
  • Anonymous
    sometimes I really wish I was a photon though. It would be an illuminating experience.
  • supersonic
    I wanna be a tachyn, then I could compete with all the women who say they are overworked and must be everywhere at once.
  • djames77
    djames77 Posts: 164
    supersonic wrote:
    I wanna be a tachyn, then I could compete with all the women who say they are overworked and must be everywhere at once.

Newtons law should dictate that "everywhere" means the kitchen / bedroom
  • benneally
    how is it easier to drop stuff in the dark? Darkness doesnt affect your grip strength...
  • djames77
    benneally wrote:
    how is it easier to drop stuff in the dark? Darkness doesnt affect your grip strength...

it does when you stub your toe cos you can't see where you going!
  • supersonic
    benneally wrote:
    Darkness doesnt affect your grip strength...

Tell that to my ex...
  • KonaKurt
    I like Newton's Third Law of Motion.

It comes in very handy when dealing with little yobbo kids who throw stones.
    (as happened to me yesterday!)

KK.
  • Anonymous
    equal and opposite reactions?

I prefer the illegal option of massively increased, and opposite reaction :twisted:
  • djames77
    supersonic wrote:
    benneally wrote:

Tell that to my ex...

:lol::lol::lol: we have all been there, my ex thought she was trying to get a getto tubeless to pop.......
  • KonaKurt
    supersonic wrote:
    benneally wrote:

Tell that to my ex...

HAHAHAHAH!!!

That's hillarious!!

KK.