clipless tryout

compo
compo Posts: 1,370
edited October 2009 in MTB general
I want to try clipless/spd but don't know if i will like it so don't want to spend the masses of cash needed
Any ideas about how to try it otherwise?
Cheers

Comments

• jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    you can get some shimano spd pedals of merlin for £20 i think.
  • compo
    compo Posts: 1,370
    yeah but then shoes will ocst a bomb...
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    maybe a mate has some. or go to your lbs and tell them that you want to try out some spds but don't want to spend money at the moment (it could work)or simply,IMO, stay with flats
  • BurtonM
    BurtonM Posts: 425
    everyso often lidl and aldi do mtb specials. they were selling shoes in there for 20 pound, shimano spd compatible. just keep an eye out ;)
    yeehaamcgee wrote:

That's like saying i want a door for my car that doesn't meet the roof, because I once had the wind blow it shut when I was getting in, and I had my head squished between, well, the door and the roof.
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    I've bought cheap on here/ebay.

£8.50 for cleats and £12.00 for pedals.

I'm looking next for shoes for £20 on ebay/here and hopefully will get to give them a try cheap.
  • nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    Get Mountain Biking used to let people try out SPDs on their courses - could maybe do a guided ride with them (cheaper than a course) and ask if you could try them out. They have always been helpful when I have dealt with them.
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    [only kidding please don't try this] Get a pal or buddy to tie your feet to your pedals with string. [/only kidding please don't try this]
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    wordnumb wrote:
    [only kidding please don't try this] Get a pal or buddy to tie your feet to your pedals with string. [/only kidding please don't try this]

It's not actually a terrible idea.

I have really long laces on my boots...

Hmmmmm.
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    weeksy59 wrote:
    wordnumb wrote:

It's not actually a terrible idea.

It is a terrible idea. An even more terrible idea would be to also have your hands tied to the grips and wear a blindfold. Kind of a hardcore version of that forest running scene in the film Intacto.

:P
  • tbeat
    tbeat Posts: 119
    clipless is a love / hate relationship with me. i have just recently fitted a set of Shimano M520 SPD Pedals and got some Shimano M076 shoes... i had my first fall yesterday however, :( as a was starting to pedal up a steep hill, i went to put my foot down to check something and i forgot that i was attached to the bike! down i went with a bang to the sounds of laughter from two buddies. but im going to stick with it! :D