My new build comments welcome!

holman210
holman210 Posts: 108
edited March 2010 in Your mountain bikes
Hi

Nearly finished my new bike, cant wait to get out on it. I need brakes and gears to complete, I have got them but as the donor bike was a halfords Carrera Fury they could do with upgrading really. Looking at SLX gears and brakes. Any comments welcome, so im not going down the wrong route lol.

Spec at the moment

DT Swiss XMC 130 09
Thomson Stem
FSA K Force bars
Fox Float RP23 PD
LX Front mech
HOPE BB
SLX Crankset
Mavic CrossRide wheelset

Thanks

Picture001.jpg
Felt Virtue 4 - Fox RP23 PD - FSA Carbon Pro handle bars - SLX Brakes 180/160mm rotors - DT Swiss XMC130 - SLX rear mech and shifters - Titanium bolts - Mavic Crossrides 09 - Thomson stem - Hope SS Bottom bracket - SLX crankset

Comments

• ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    looks nice :) i don't have much experience of the slx stuff, but for cheap brakes, avid juicy 3's are really great brakes for the money. Simple, and plenty of power. looking forward to seeing some more pics :)
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Nice bike!
    Post some more pics when it's done :D
  • Zaskar20
    Zaskar20 Posts: 557
    I like the look of that - good build. 8)
  • Looking good, await more pictures
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/shimano-groupsets/shimano-s-l-x-groupset.html

SLX is great stuff - I'd go for the Merlin deal and sell the bite you don't need seperately.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    very good job mate. can't wait to see the finished product
  • holman210
    Shame the slx dont do a E type front mech so I could have the same throughout. Thanks for your comments, so far so good.

Does anyone know why I cant find much about the frame on the net? I wanted dimensions and a D-O-M for it but all I can find is websites about the Equilink which all Virtues have anyway.

Thanks
    Felt Virtue 4 - Fox RP23 PD - FSA Carbon Pro handle bars - SLX Brakes 180/160mm rotors - DT Swiss XMC130 - SLX rear mech and shifters - Titanium bolts - Mavic Crossrides 09 - Thomson stem - Hope SS Bottom bracket - SLX crankset
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    holman210 wrote:
    Shame the slx dont do a E type front mech so I could have the same throughout. Thanks for your comments, so far so good.
    I just bought a scott genius and it came with an SLX front mech (i think it's slx, i'll check in a bit), but if i decide to upgrade it to xt i'll give you a shout

EDIT: just checked, it's lx, not slx
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Barteos
    Barteos Posts: 657
    Nice and understated.
    It's nice that you resisted all this WHITE fad.
  • holman210
    Barteos wrote:
    Nice and understated.
    It's nice that you resisted all this WHITE fad.

funny you should say that, my friend just bought a White trek fuel lol and another bought the marin, can't remember what model.
  • holman210
    Still not got my bike back from the shop. They got to the headset and because it didnt come with a crown race their having trouble finding one that fits in the headset. Gave them the ok for a new Hope unit for £45 so not all bad.
  • holman210
    Took a while but my ride is 99% finished. Just got some rotors coming and thats it! Its a shame that my second hand frame was well used and bears tons of marks and chips but I had a pretty naff bike before this one so this will be good to get back into things and knock about.

Picture004.jpg[/img]

Picture001-1.jpg
  • nickfrog
    nickfrog Posts: 610
    Lovely bike, the stealth black look works a treat, great attention to detail. SLX brakes are excellent indeed, been running them for 3 months.
    I just don't like the spacers under the stem, they make the front end look strangely high but I guess it fits you. Shame you could not have a different angle stem instead, that's a 0 degree isn't it ? Also, lose the reflectors on the pedal if you can...
  • The Big Cheese
    The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
    Lovely build, looks really good, and I bet iit rides like a dream too - well done! 8)
  • Shorty12
    Shorty12 Posts: 478
    Would like to know more about how the forks perform

Nice bike :)
  • holman210
    Thanks for all the comments! dam it I knew there was something I forgot to do to it! Pedals! They have to go. There only cheap halfords ones, anyone recommend a half decent set for around £30?

Thanks again!
  • holman210
    Shorty12 wrote:
    Would like to know more about how the forks perform

Nice bike :)

They were a little stiff to start with but they are starting to get very plush. Im not an expert but they do feel good. Not too sure about the lock out. You push the button and the forks depress to about 80mm and dont spring back until you hit a big bump then they spring back into life. Meant to be better for climbing. They are incredible light thought, even they guy in the LBS was like "woo" lol
  • holman210
    nickfrog wrote:
    Lovely bike, the stealth black look works a treat, great attention to detail. SLX brakes are excellent indeed, been running them for 3 months.
    I just don't like the spacers under the stem, they make the front end look strangely high but I guess it fits you. Shame you could not have a different angle stem instead, that's a 0 degree isn't it ? Also, lose the reflectors on the pedal if you can...

I think for £80 for a second hand set of SLX brakes that were hardly used has been one of the best buys, they are pretty good. I like the crisp feeling when you pull the lever.