Buying NEW (cyclo cross)- how much can you haggle?

the_village_idiot
the_village_idiot Posts: 150
edited October 2009 in Road beginners
Am looking at buying a brand new cyclo cross- in peoples experience- how much can you haggle from sellers? Are some brands (eg specilized) less likely to drop than others (eg Kona?)

Examples (from different retailers):

2010 Specilized Tricross Sport- £850 (no discount advertised)

2009 Kona Jake the Snake- RRP £1000, Sale price, £850

From experience- how much can you haggle down a bike? I suppose its easier to get extra stuff thrown in- but how much free stuff can i haggle off?

Is a 2009 easier to haggle down (given its already on sale)- or surly its better to sell a 2010 bike at a discount than not at all?

(i also need to decide between the above two bikes- having tried them both for size of course- so if anyone has any advice on that- feel free :D )

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Margins on new bikes are pretty tight - the best you can expect is 10% of the value of the bike in accessories / parts rather than money off, particularly as 2010 bikes which have barely hit the shops. If you can find a 2009 model, that might be a different proposition as there's often good discounts to be had. Some distributors are also pretty tight on what prices the shops can sell for and will penalise the dealer.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • really? Hmmmmm thats a bugger then!

So now i need to decide between 2009 Jake Snake (in a horrible green)- but its £1k worth of bike. Could get some stickers i suppose....

Or a 2010 Spesh Tricross Sport at £850- which looks REALLY nice!!!!!
  • can you not wait for the sales in january?
  • brownbosh
    brownbosh Posts: 602
    If you want a full on cross bike, the jake the snake is the one to go for. Tricross's are trying to be too many things to too many people. Discounts would also depend on what shop you are talking to, and your buying relationship with them too.
  • can you not wait for the sales in january?

Yes- i probably could....just- but are local dealers likely to have such sales? Or Even the bigger online ones? I always picture sofas clothes and beds on in the sales- but not bikes?

Please correct me if im wrong!
  • last christmas i got a Specailized Tricross in the sales for £350 i think quite a few members on here got one.
  • last christmas i got a Specailized Tricross in the sales for £350 i think quite a few members on here got one.

Bloody hell- thats insane- so nearly half price???? Eg a £750 bike for £350? Was that nationwide or just in one shop?

God thats tempting....
  • pearsoncycles were doing the deal but a few other online retailers had a similar offer on the same bike
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    last christmas i got a Specailized Tricross in the sales for £350 i think quite a few members on here got one.

Bloody hell- thats insane- so nearly half price???? Eg a £750 bike for £350? Was that nationwide or just in one shop?

God thats tempting....

That was for the Tricross Single I believe. Retail price was £450. Pearsons had one for £275 I think. I hummed and hared and missed out :cry:
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • ahhhh- right- so it was about 20% off?

the Jake the Snake is 15% off which isn't bad i guess.....
  • juankerr
    juankerr Posts: 1,099
    It was the single speed one.