damn snapped chain!!!!!!

welshkev
welshkev Posts: 9,690
edited October 2009 in MTB general
i woke up early this morning and the sun was out so i thought sod it i'm off for an early ride :D i get to cwmcarn at about 8.30am and the carpark was nearly empty..this is gonna be a good day....or so i thought!

i started up the first climb feeling really good, i get to about where the bridge on the downhill track is and my chain starts to jump...shit!! i look down and there's a little twig stuck through my spokes, no worries i pull it out and start off again, then less that 10 seconds later my chain snaps!!!!! i didn't have a spare link or a chain tool with me to fix it, so now i'm sat back in my front room feeling really, really peed off :evil:

Comments

• Well, on the upshot. I guarantee you'll never forget a chaintool and links EVER again. Done this myself before, I now carry 2x chain tools and about 8 links everytime I leave the house lol.
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    On the bright side: at least you could just roll back down to your car. It's not like your chain breaking halfway across Dartmoor.

Doesn't the LBS near Cwmcarn sell powerlinks?
  • welshkev
    yeah, i could've gone to buy one but i was up early because i had somewhere else to be at around 11am so by the time i'd gone to the shop, fixed it etc i wouldn't have had time for the ride....

but yeah, i'm glad it didn't happen somewhere more remote
  • I now carry 2x chain tools and about 8 links everytime I leave the house lol.

That's nothing, when I were a lad, we never left home without taking 3 chain tools, 16 links and 3 spare wheels!
  • welshkev
    just gone to fix the said snapped chain and noticed that i've broken a tooth off of my jockey wheel aswell!!!!! more money to shell out and time to wait for it to arrive :x :x :x
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    You don't really need all the teeth on the jockey wheel tbh, replace it but you can ride in the meantime.
    Uncompromising extremist