Road tyres for an MTB bike

Grindy
Grindy Posts: 25
edited October 2009 in Commuting chat
I currently commute on a Specialized Rockhopper fitted with Maxxis High Rollers. I've been using them for the past year but as they are in need of replacement I would like something road specific.

I was thinking of getting myself a pair of slicks (for the extra speed, grip, less drag etc), however with winter drawing in I'm a little concerned that they may be a little too dangerous with the icy mornings.

Could I have any advice on what road tyres would be best to use over the winter and spring?

Comments

• schwalbe crazy bobs :lol: big balloony but roll really well loads of grip good punture resistance to
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,628
    edited October 2009
    What width of rims you got? I've got inch wides so can use the spez pro's - exceedingly grippy an really low rolling resistance.

http://www.cyclesurgery.com/1027681/Specialized-All-Condition-Pro-Tyre-26-.html?referrer=froogle.txt&utm_source=google&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=pid1027681
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Specialized do a great road tire for the MTB called the nimbus, alternatively if your feeling brave you could try the Specialized fatboy, its a full slick and is rock hard at 100psi feels like riding on a razor blade!
    Maxxis hookworms if you want to feel like your riding on a sofa!
    Depressed? Buy a Yeti, now you're broke AND depressed.

2007 Beone Team Replica w/ 08 Corsa SL WC's
    2000 DMR Trailstar custom build
    More wheels & Marzocchi forks than I care to count
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    I bought a pair of Halfords specials 1.50 many 2 years ago, they are slicks. I've not had a puncture (touch wood) yet. They grip well in the wet and are OK'ish on the cycle/dirt track sections to work. I'm careful when it's icy, but never slipped. The real problem is snow, the tyres don't like it :lol:

I also bought a pair of MTB Bell tyres from ASDA, purely for cheapness and they've been great. Masses of thick rubber.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • mcj78
    mcj78 Posts: 634
    I've been using Maxxis Xenith 1.5 slicks for a couple of years (although admittedly I don't commute when the weather is REALLY horrible) and they've been great, even when roads are wet - don't think they've seen icy roads though although I don't know if it would make a huge difference whether you ran over a patch of ice on slicks or semis, especially on a bend, ouch.
    J
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Schwalbe Citi Jets, had 2 pairs on my MTB and they are the dogs dangglies. great for the commute, and some off road stuff too - tough as nails (well not quite as a nail proved it was tougher!! - only puncture in 2 years) But they are superb.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • mickmcg
    mickmcg Posts: 48
    I use 1.5" Schwalbe City Jets which i'm really happy with on my Carrera Fury.

Roll really well and are coping well with 5 miles of wet and muddy canal tow path at the moment

Only £20 a pair on Ebay too
    2011 Genesis Equilibrium 10 (black frame) | 2011 Tricross Sport | 2008 Carrera Fury
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    If you hit ice you're going over regardless of your tyres unless they're studded and designed for ice.
  • or you travel so fast you've got burning hot tyres and you melt through it all...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    mickmcg wrote:

Roll really well and are coping well with 5 miles of wet and muddy canal tow path at the moment

+1

I have city jets on my winter hack....only hade to replace an inner tube once (if you get what I mean ;)

Though having said that, thanks to a split in the rim on the rear wheel of my winter hack (you have to be careful how you type that!) I've been commuting on my mtb with nobblies.

Very comfy, more grip when it comes to stopping (espesh in the damp/rain), not having to worry about pot holes, and I can still tear up everyone in a an SCR stylee on the way home

I also feel like I have to work harder, which has got to be good for fitness :)
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • mickmcg
    mickmcg Posts: 48
    mickmcg wrote:

well, 5 hours after I typed that i had a p*uncture! 3mm x 3mm piece of glass cut a good 1cm hole straight through the "protective" strip, think i might have to go back to the Marathon+ i gave the good lady, ironically to spare her the 4 mile walk of shame i had to endure last night!

a big thanks to my mate who kindly replaced my spare tube he used with a schrader that doesnt fit my rim, i hope you and the 2 cyclists that rode straight past me without making eye contact on the Brum to Wolves canal, start each morning with a step on an upturned plug, on each foot
    2011 Genesis Equilibrium 10 (black frame) | 2011 Tricross Sport | 2008 Carrera Fury
  • deffler
    deffler Posts: 829
    Im using Continental Town & Country's for my MTB for road use over the winter. Semi-Slicks that cope off road too. No punctures so far however Ive only been using em 2 weeks, so cant boast. They handle well in the wet too.
    Boardman Hybrid Pro

Planet X XLS
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    mickmcg wrote:
    mickmcg wrote:
    I use 1.5" Schwalbe City Jets which i'm really happy with
    well, 5 hours after I typed that i had a p*uncture!
    It does happen :(

Another vote for the City Jets. Mine have lasted ages, corner well and I've had only one p-word, caused by a 3" nail in my front tyre. Replaced inner tube & rode on, and still using them. Recommended them to a mate at work, he was well impressed with the difference compared to the Specialized Crossroads he had on before.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • girv73
    girv73 Posts: 842
    Conti Ultra Gators in 26x1.1 for me, they cope well with my road & cycle path commute in the wettest of weather.
    Today is a good day to ride
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    The Pig is fitted with a pair of Michelin City 26x1.4. They don't have much grip at all and are pretty sketchy in the wet, though they have been improving with age, so it may just have been that they were very "green" from mould release agent. They roll OK but nothing to write home about. That said, they were cheap, which fit the hack bike brief.

In retrospect, through I'd probably go for something else.