GoodBye Cruel World

BurtonM
BurtonM Posts: 425
edited October 2009 in MTB general
Just reversed into a abandonded truck. Car didnt have enough power to mount the curb which was only way past, bounced off curb and i couldnt manouvre the wheel enough to prevent the inevitable. No back light, and body work damages.
Thats the good news ^
Heres the bad news.
Have to sell bikes to pay for the damage, young driver you see so if i claim on insurance nobody will insure me for less than a small fortune. Dont know how i can keep up my mountain biking hobby without a bike. So this is my formal goodbye, no doubt will have to sell the laptop to aid in the repair. :(
yeehaamcgee wrote:

That's like saying i want a door for my car that doesn't meet the roof, because I once had the wind blow it shut when I was getting in, and I had my head squished between, well, the door and the roof.

Comments

• lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    ill buy ur meta lol
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Really bad news, I'm a new driver as well and have had to pay over a grand as the main driver for insurance, don't want to think what it would be with a crash. :?
  • BurtonM
    barely even a crash. dont know how it did so much damage. it was in reverse gear, on the bite, of a petrol car. its folded in on itself. gutted
    yeehaamcgee wrote:

That's like saying i want a door for my car that doesn't meet the roof, because I once had the wind blow it shut when I was getting in, and I had my head squished between, well, the door and the roof.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Have you got a quote for the damage, it may not be that much? You could just drive around with a damaged car if it's just bodywork and keep the bike?
  • BurtonM
    nahh its pretttty bad. a section of the panel has folded in.
    yeehaamcgee wrote:

• Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    i'll repair it for the cost of a meta :wink:

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 2,086
    You have an ass. A young ass.

Sell it.
  • BurtonM
    I dont think it could repaired by someone other than a Citroen Garage. Apologies if ive undermined you there. Im going to get a picture of it as soon as my frustration wears off. On the plus side, ive found a new punch bag, it comes in the shape of a 3 tonne ford pickup thing.
    yeehaamcgee wrote:

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Where's emo_kid when you need him!?

Edit, thats gutting though, you have my sympathy!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • furby
    furby Posts: 200
    Have a look at getting the parts second hand from a scrappy and doing the work yourself.

pannals are often just held on with a few bolts or couple of dabs or weld and are easy to replace.

If you havnt got the tools, then im sure someone will have some that you can borrow.

ta da, fixed car at fraction of a price.
  • pte1643
    pte1643 Posts: 518
    furby wrote:
    pannals are often just held on with a few bolts or couple of dabs or weld and are easy to replace.

Unless it's a Rear Wing section...
    BurtonM wrote:
    Just reversed into a abandonded truck.

Rear light will be easy enough though.

Somethings in life make you glad to be an old git... Fully comp for an Alfa £200 including protected NCB.
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    its still not that bad though, for gods sake man put some pictures up!!!!

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    A new tail light to make it legal, save up and go to a an independant bodyshop not a main dealer (Are you still getting it serviced at a main dealer?) find a good independant who works for themself and knows what they are doing, really it's the same as an LBS or Halfords, but with halford charging three times more for labour.
    Most dents can be pulled out and worked. I really doubt it will cost that much if you shop around.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    ^ what he said. Get it legal for a few quid then wait till you have the cash to get the dents sorted by an independent

selling your bikes to pay for your car ... that's just crazy talk
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • selling your bikes to pay for your car ... that's just crazy talk

Agreed, if anything my life with those guzzling horrible money burning tin cans is depressing, the bike must stay! good luck!
  • _Ferret_
    _Ferret_ Posts: 660
    You're thinking about the whole thing wrong!!!

Don't sell you bike - are you loopy?!

Here's the correct post:

Hey guys just crashed my car and am going to have to sell the old heap. Now I can buy a new bike for commuting - any ideas?
    Not really active
  • thats real bad luck fella, but as the others have said, make it legal and drive around and see what quotes you get!
    i did likewise Many Moons ago in my old mini! smashed rear light and creased back light unit,
    got a simple bottle jack and some wood chocks and pushed it out! job done!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • mac_man
    mac_man Posts: 918
    BurtonM wrote:
    I dont think it could repaired by someone other than a Citroen Garage. Apologies if ive undermined you there. Im going to get a picture of it as soon as my frustration wears off. On the plus side, ive found a new punch bag, it comes in the shape of a 3 tonne ford pickup thing.

Shop around for a quote. The lights will need fixing, as they're a legal requirement obviosuly. As for panel damage.... unless it's dangerous (illegal), or the car is undriveable, I'd live with it till you can either a) afford to get it fixed, b) wait till someone hits you in the same place then you can claim on their insurance. :D
    Cool, retro and sometimes downright rude MTB and cycling themed T shirts. Just MTFU.

By day: http://www.mtfu.co.uk
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    allthegearnoidea Has the right idea make it legal and keep driving I drove a red 4 door Mini Metro for nearly 2 years with a creased rear panel sprayed in primer and a blue door I got from a scrappy. The car was worth about the same as the amount of fuel in the tank but it got me round.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Stoo61
    Stoo61 Posts: 1,394
    Selling the bike? Are you mad, sell other stuff, my bike and I have been inseprable recently.....couldnt imagine it.
  • RedJohn
    RedJohn Posts: 272
    Been there, at probably about your age too - no fun.

But I did as above, knocked the panel roughly straight with a hammer so it's legal, then drove around for ages (until I crashed into something else and it was totalled completely).

"Legal" means no sharp edges that pedestrians can be scratched by, and not interfering with the suspension travel etc. If you end up with sharp edges, it's also legal to cover them with a few layers of duck tape, something that got a different rusty old sh!t heap of mine through a couple of MOT tests.

If you cant get a hammer to the back of the dent, you can cut a hole in the front and put something (claw hammer?) through to pull it out.

Also paint over any bare metal with hammerite to stop it rusting.

It does not have to look perfect to be legal!
  • steelo
    steelo Posts: 542
    Do you have a job? You're a student so go get yourself some bar work and save up those pennies for another bike.

Just drink a pint less each night as well and save yourself a couple of quid!
    Specialized Rockhopper '07
    Trek Fuel EX8 '09
  • adb1006
    adb1006 Posts: 938
    It's a Citroen FFS - just fix it using tin foil - that's all they're made of anyway!
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    adb1006 wrote:
    It's a Citroen FFS - just fix it using tin foil - that's all they're made of anyway!

Very true, that's why they fold up like an old coke can.

There's no shame in getting parts from a scrappy, everyones been there on thier first car (Even on my current car actually lol) Knock it in to shape untill you can afford to get it fixed properly otherwise you'll just be misserable with no bike
  • Dude, its your first car right? I reversed into a low wall that I couldn't see when I was reversing into a friends driveway (was the wall seperating his drive from the neighbours drive). When it went bang, I was like what the hell did I hit, got out and the rear quater panel was slightly folded, the rear lights cracked and the bumper damaged. Went to the scrappy, new bumper (dark blue) cost me £10, new rear light £15 and some black spray paint was about £20. Painted the bumper really bodge job, but it worked and the car was useable for another couple of years!
  • BurtonM
    Im 17 years old.
    i have no job
    the only thing of any value i have to my name is my bike and my car. which took me years to save up for.
    I will get some pictures up when im done at 6th form x
    yeehaamcgee wrote:

• Chaz.Harding
    Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
    As nearly everyone has said, go to the scrappy and get a replacement light, and fit. As long as you're new-style body panel isn't sharp and pointy (IE safe to peds - not gonna slice them up) then just live with the character dent.

My car will most likely FAIL it's MOT in a big way. If it's gonna cost more than about £100 to fix, it's getting binned. I have a motorbike as transport - who needs cars anyway :P

Which brings me onto my next point.... WHAT!!?? Your car wasn't powerfull enough to mount a kerb... Are you sh!tting me? I drive an asthmatic 1L petrol, 14 year old, 110,000 mile Nissan Micra, and with me and 4 other BIG mates in (we're all 6ft+ and weigh more than 80kgs EACH) can drive over kerbs... So how much were you revving you're motor, to get enough power to smash in all the back and the lights? I guess you are brand shiny new to driving....?
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • You've gone 17 years without a car- I'm sure you don't need it really!

And I wouldn't be taking it to the main stealer either- plenty of other bodyshops out there!
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • Chaz.Harding
    Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
    ...plenty of other bodyshops out there!
    Yeah, like yourself with a nylon hammer... :lol:

Seriously, be surprised just how good you can get a body panel to look, with a bit of patience...! :shock:
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke