Aidy
Aidy Posts: 2,015
edited October 2009 in Commuting chat
... have been announced today.

Let the smugness commence. :)

Comments

• biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Cos, like, the price of bikes and bike gear isn't going up at all...
  • biondino wrote:

You just keep coming up with reasons to buy more that's all... 8)
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    biondino wrote:

It's all relative. Underground tickets were expensive (one of the most expensive in Europe) anyway. To increase those prices regardless of price increases on other stuff, still is a kick in the nuts for train users....
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Can't we kick car users in the nuts instead? If only there were some kind of tax they had to pay that we didn't, even though we use the roads too...
  • DonDaddyD
    biondino wrote:
    Can't we kick car users in the nuts instead? If only there were some kind of tax they had to pay that we didn't, even though we use the roads too...

I think the fact that petrol is, in some places more expensive than diesel, is kick in the nuts enough, especially if they don't have the outlay to buy a diesel car which is often more expensive than the petrol varient....

Fuel prices in general. MOT, Tax disc, parking.. if you have to live on the road I do and Insurance...
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Jamey
    Jamey Posts: 2,152
    If they're going to increase fares for the tubes and trains then the very least they can do... The very least... Is make Oyster pay-as-you-go work at all stations.

They offer discounts for people using Oyster yet still, years after its introduction, it cannot be used everywhere.
  • number9
    number9 Posts: 440
    The fare rises will raise £125 million.

Abolishing the Western congestion charge will cost £75 million per year, and getting rid of the £25 congestion charge for 4x4s loses another £50 million - total £125 million.

So the fare rises could have been entirely avoided if these charges had been kept, and fewer people would die of respiratory illness, asthmas and cancers.
  • Aidy
    biondino wrote:

To be fair, I like the fare increases because they give me more of an excuse to spend money on bike parts :)
  • Bikequin
    Bikequin Posts: 402
    Travel cards and peak fares on the tube have remained the same. So by in large commuters will not be affected too much by this.
    You'll not see nothing like the mighty Quin.
  • Aidy
    Bikequin wrote:
    Travel cards and peak fares on the tube have remained the same. So by in large commuters will not be affected too much by this.

Peak fares have gone up.
  • Bikequin
    Bikequin Posts: 402
    Aidy - My mistake you're right there. Well except for Zone 3 where I Happen to live 8)
    You'll not see nothing like the mighty Quin.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    biondino wrote:

It's all relative. Underground tickets were expensive (one of the most expensive in Europe) anyway. To increase those prices regardless of price increases on other stuff, still is a kick in the nuts for train users....

One of?! :o

I'm yet to find anywhere where public transport costs more than the UK. Anybody know of a more expensive underground system than London?
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    biondino wrote:

They tried this before, in the 1930's. They had to abandon the idea as it gave car drivers the idea that they were somehow paying to use the road, and therefore that the road must be provided primarily for their use, and nobody else should be on it.
    It was not only a pain for cyclists, but it made closing roads for parties or races or parades a lot harder too. Once this was realised, the tax was dropped.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    number9 wrote:
    The fare rises will raise £125 million.

Abolishing the Western congestion charge will cost £75 million per year, and getting rid of the £25 congestion charge for 4x4s loses another £50 million - total £125 million.

So the fare rises could have been entirely avoided if these charges had been kept, and fewer people would die of respiratory illness, asthmas and cancers.

And what about the cost of the Boris Bus (AKA fancy new Routemaster) as well as scrapping the perfectly good bendy buses and buying new, shorter ones. He must have spunked a good few million quid on that too.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    biondino wrote:

Yeah but, seriously, how much cycling gear do you need? I bought a load of cheap cycling kit through Wiggle, CRC, LIDL and Aldi when I started cycling a few years back and it's still going strong. Occasionally you have to buy a part - brake blocks here, some cable there and new inner tubes/puntcure patches, but unless your just into upgrades and expensive kit for the sake of it, cycling is very, very cheap.

Tube/train passes need renewing annually or monthly at huge cost.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    biondino wrote:

Congestion charge is going up... does that help?

Remember though it's a tory mayor
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • number9 wrote:

Jaysus. How's the view from your soapbox?
  • Aidy
    number9 wrote:

Well, every little helps in staying out of the polluted air. :)
  • DonDaddyD
    number9 wrote:

Bit caty today LiT's aren't we normally your less vocally opinionated....

Also I've always wanted to ask, who will you vote (who do you normally vote for?)
    Food Chain number = 4

• Clever Pun
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    number9 wrote:

Bit caty today LiT's aren't we normally your less vocally opinionated....

Also I've always wanted to ask, who will you vote (who do you normally vote for?)

you'd bit a little catty too if you'd been shot in the face with ladybirds...

Number9 is the rhetoric spouting anti hgv evangelist... their heart is in the right place, but just so bloody high and mighty scaremongery
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • DonDaddyD
    This is true dem ladyburdz iz gangsta!

I did think that about number9's post but I've been learning to walk away and not get baited or argue...
    Food Chain number = 4

• Clever Pun
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    This is true dem ladyburdz iz gangsta!

I did think that about number9's post but I've been learning to walk away and not get baited or argue...

In my eyes he's the forum equivalent of the conspiracy theorist/religious nutbar... their undaunting faith even in the face of hard facts always impresses me but getting into a discussion always results in petty name calling which escalates and interweb circles of irritation
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • biondino wrote:

At least with bike gear you have something tangible to show for it afterwards, like a bike, clothing, tools, parts etc. After I get off the tube all I am left with is the stench of the system.

Also, Ken reduced tube fares and revenues increased because more journeys were made.