Change of shoes

kurako
kurako Posts: 1,098
edited October 2009 in Commuting chat
I've got a bit of a walk from where I lock my bike to the office. Not far but enough for me to not want to do it in my cycling shoes which are starting to scuff up around the heel already.

Since I don't want to ruin my shoes from walking around I wondered about getting a pair to change into for walking. Ideally they'd be small and light so I can just shove them in my bag.

Anyone know of such a thing?

NB. Parking the bike closer isn't really an option as closer spots are either uncovered or in shady little out of the way spots.

Comments

• Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Old trainers?
  • FeynmanC
    FeynmanC Posts: 649
    flip flops?
    us0.png
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I have a pair of flip flops in my work bag at all times in case I want to stop off at the supermarket or the bike breaks down and I have to walk it a couple of miles home. Don't want to ruin my cleats!

Or you could go for something like this:

http://www.stcstores.co.uk/toggle-surf- ... 1943-p.asp
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Flip flops?

Or you could buy SPDs. But flip flops are cheaper.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    Why don't you get some hiking socks and glue some old inner tubes to the outside? That would work okay, wouldn't it? You are bound to have had a puncture by the time they wear out.
  • kurako
    I have a pair of flip flops in my work bag at all times in case I want to stop off at the supermarket or the bike breaks down and I have to walk it a couple of miles home. Don't want to ruin my cleats!

Or you could go for something like this:

http://www.stcstores.co.uk/toggle-surf- ... 1943-p.asp

Old trainers are too bulky. Its only a small camel pack I have. Don't want to carry around loads of crud. Surf shoes look like a good option. I'd not thought of that. Cheers.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    This is why I use MTB spd's and shoes 8) *smug*

I nearly swapped to roadie shoes until I thought about having a mechanical 10 miles from home with no bus routes.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • kurako
    prawny wrote:

I nearly swapped to roadie shoes until I thought about having a mechanical 10 miles from home with no bus routes.

They are MTB SPDs. Road shoes are comical on anything except for a bike :wink:

I just don't want to f*ck em up walking about on pavements.
  • prawny
    Kurako wrote:
    prawny wrote:

What! :shock:

Don't be a girl! They should be covered in mud and twigs!

How far is this walk? I wouldn't worry about a little bit of scuffing, the soles should be thick enough to last a while.

I walk barefoot from where I park my bike, but thats because I leave my shoes in the basement because they smell of cat wee!
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • kurako
    prawny wrote:
    Kurako wrote:
    prawny wrote:

What! :shock:

Don't be a girl! They should be covered in mud and twigs!

How far is this walk? I wouldn't worry about a little bit of scuffing, the soles should be thick enough to last a while.

I walk barefoot from where I park my bike, but thats because I leave my shoes in the basement because they smell of cat wee!

Errr. It's not terribly far.

I'm going to slink of to a corner in shame.
  • prawny wrote:

Are there any cats that live in the basement? I'm sensing a vicious circle.
  • prawny
    prawny wrote:

Are there any cats that live in the basement? I'm sensing a vicious circle.

:shock: :x
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    If the cleat is really scuffing against, say, pointy, chunky tarmac, then you may have a problem. If it's only the rubber with perhaps the occasional clink, you really have nothing to worry about.