The pitfalls of a east-west commute...

toshmund
toshmund Posts: 390
edited October 2009 in Commuting chat
First of all, thanks to the bloke on the Lemond Reno who walked along the A514 with me afterwards and listened to my inane ramblings...

Yes, coming along the A514 from Swarkestone bridge towards the A50 roundabout on the outskirts of Derby. Chellaston to be exact. The junction where I needed to turn right towards Weston/Aston on Trent, is just over the brow of a canal bridge, on the exit of a bend and the bottom of a descent from the A50. 1700 on a Monday evening, traffic is constant and flowing above speed limit, so I am struggling to get across to the right of the lane before the bend as I normally do...get over, just before the brow. Got a car coming down from the A50, got a car in the junction waiting to turn right (nasty junction - you are on a hillstart and only see the car emerge once it has broken the brow of the bridge...a matter of feet really.)

I let the car comedown, start turning into the junction - and then the car in the junction - pulls out and drives into the side of me. Nothing I can do, I get hit by the centre front of his car which luckily was a Ford Galaxy/Zafira type flat fronted people carrier type. So managed to avoid a potential leg breaker up the bonnet, flung to the tarmac incident. No, he hits me in the side, pushed me along sideways until he braked which then sent me sprawling. Thankfully the next car coming down the hill was some distance up the hill and stopped the traffic from that side.

Get up, pick the bike up and move to the kerbside, he pulls over. Turns out to be a bloke in his 60's with a pair of those sunglasses on that wraparound and cover the face (I was thinking Peters and Lee at this stage...my Gran used to have the LP's) "I am sorry son - I just did not see you, the sun was in my eyes!"

Ironic, you prepare for the dangers of riding in the dark, don't dress like a Ninja Warrior - get decent lights, wear flourescent ankle wraparounds, use a hi-viz rucksack, only to be taken out because of a low level autumnal sun.

Do not think anything is broken, just a swollen ankle and limited movement. Actually ended up walking a mile to the old nextdoor neighbours, to get a lift home (he was not forthcoming...) bike seems fine mechanically - just a rip on the seat and handlebar tape damage. First time I have crashed on a fixed gear, since I was only going less than 10 mph at the time, that was not an issue and did not have spinning legs/back wheel as an issue.

Got to laugh eh!?

Comments

• Glad you are ok, you should go and read this thread,

http://www.londonfgss.com/thread4213.html

Have you got witnesses, registration of the guy etc etc?
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Another one?! :evil:

Glad you seem unscathed. Have you been to the hospital to get checked out? And, as W2B says, do you have the reg etc.?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • twh
    twh Posts: 29
    Monday was a hell of a day ! Get yourself of to hospital/dr's to get a check over . I was the same on Monday morning , lit up like a Christmas tree with hi viz jacket but it didn't help me be seen !!
    I think we need some more of the " think once , think twice , think bike " type of advertising again.
  • Hope you fix up soon.
    Is it just coincidence that there seem to be a lot of 'knocked down by car' threads right now, or is this statistically a dangerous time of year?
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I know the junction you mean very well - personally I would never turn right out of the Weston / Aston road as you simply can't see anything coming over the canal bridge in time.

I hope things are all okay (you and bike wise!) you should get yourself and the bike checked out and make sure nothing is wrong / broken asap.

You don't cycle over Swarkestone Bridge do you? If so, major kudos as that is a 'fun' piece of road to get over! I've done it myself a few times and always vow 'never again'
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Irvinet
    Irvinet Posts: 117
    artaxerxes wrote:
    Hope you fix up soon.
    Is it just coincidence that there seem to be a lot of 'knocked down by car' threads right now, or is this statistically a dangerous time of year?

I dunno about the stats but I certainly feel most vulnerable when the commutes are at twilight or late sunset, which seems to be the norm about now. Full light is fine obviously and in full dark my flashing lights are hard to miss... but twilight is a bit Nasty.
    Roberts Audax - Raleigh Fixie - Thorn Tandem
  • toshmund
    Cheers for the replies everyone. Keiran, I was actually turning right to go towards Weston on Trent, he pulled out of the junction from Weston. On the summer commute, I used to turn left at that junction, and then I go right just before the Crewe and Harpur. Through Barrow on Trent and Willington (I work at Burnaston) With him coming out and trying to get a line so he could accelerate up to the speed of traffic which was the usual 1700 commuting "Got to get home for Goldenballs!" or whatever the latest is, consistency.

He came out pretty much diagonal anyway.

Will admit, he seemed mortified, the only witness I had was a lady walking down the grass verge from the A50 roundabout. First thing she said "Are you alright? I am sorry I did not see anything...I am walking on this side because I could not get across as well!" Looked at the bike, seems fine - apart from the tear in the seat, and losing the bar tape bung (which is ready for a change anyway...) I was a bit miffed, that we were a mile short of Chellaston (where I used to live) so my first thought was to get a lift to the old nextdoor neighbours, and ask for a lift home to Long Eaton, from him. "Not going through Chellaston by any chance are you?" "No, I am going to Burton..." At which I could have hit him! lol

I can twiddle my toes, rotate the foot, and put weight on it. So I am on Brufen, used ice and have drawn pretty much drawn the bruising out. The only discomfort is from the swollen ankle which is restricting the achilles. I was going to see the local nurse in the GP's that I am registered with...They have a disclaimer on the homepage "We do not have a charter for dealing with cuts/grazes/injuries or knocks resulting from minor rta's. If you feel you need treatment please use eitherA and E at Derby DRI, Ilkeston General or QMC" First impression on Monday. I am not going to pay for a taxi to be told I need a tubigrip and a course of Brufen, after a 5 hour wait. Got a supply at home. If I am wrong...at least I will be held down by 4 buxom nurses as they play "tug'o'war" with my leg :) I am from Yorkshire...possibly a tight git!?

The funniest thing about it. I decided to do that route home because it was a nice evening, and the previous week. Riding down Burton Rd into Derby. At every right handside junction, someone pulled out on me, even though I was doing 27/29 mph. All the cars except one floored the accelerators though, to get up to the speed of the traffic. Apart from the one, who pulled out when I was 30 feet short, and then phaffed around for the next 30 feet. I had to maneouvre around him. Pull up at the traffic lights, me RH lane to go straight on, him LH lane to go down Abbey St. He then tried to chastise me "That was a bit risky, yeah!?" I was in no mood for him "Commonsense would dictate that you would get up to the speed of traffic! Yes?" Him and the passenger look at each other "Oooh we have a nutter here...leave it" - "It was OK, I saw you"

Muppet.

Don't even ask about predestrians in Derby city centre...
  • toshmund
    Irvinet wrote:
    artaxerxes wrote:
    Hope you fix up soon.

I dunno about the stats but I certainly feel most vulnerable when the commutes are at twilight or late sunset, which seems to be the norm about now. Full light is fine obviously and in full dark my flashing lights are hard to miss... but twilight is a bit Nasty.

You have "hit the nail on the head" there, so to speak. When he said I could not see you because of the sun - I had a quick look. The sun was only off the horizon. I hate it when you are approaching a junction, with a driver who is sat there cupping his eyes with his hand. You would hope though, that if you could not see...you would not pull out blindly!?

It is just that spring/autumn period, strange when you look forward to dark commutes...