Winter bib tights

Cubic
Cubic Posts: 594
edited October 2009 in Road beginners
Hi,

Does anyone use unpadded bib-tights over the top of their normal bib shorts during the winter? Is it comfortable for 3-4hr rides?

I'm trying to decide whether to get some cheap unpadded bibs to wear as above or if it would be better in the long run to spend a bit more on decent padded ones.

Thanks.

Comments

• kfinlay
    kfinlay Posts: 763
    It should be fine to do it that way, I wear unpadded tights but have padded liner shorts that work well. I only do this as I had the tights already and bought the line short to save my butt getting too sore since returning to the road.
    The only downside is neither are bib type so can get a bit tight around the waist. Wife has bought me new winter bib tights for my birthday tomorrow so looking forward to using them :D
    The only other consideration I can think of is wind protection for winter use, I'd make sure the tights have that to save potential harm to your cold muscles and knees.
    Didn't think there was much difference in the cost of padded and non padded tights though.
    Kev

Summer Bike: Colnago C60
    Winter Bike: Vitus Alios
    MTB: 1997 GT Karakorum
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    That's how I do it.
    It would get expensive buying Assos quality bib tights so I just put a pair of Craft bib tights over my Assos bib shorts.
    Very comfortable, even on long trips. The only problem could be if you wore them when it is too hot.
    You will have to decide for yourself where the switch over is in weather temperature.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    Cubic wrote:
    Hi,

Does anyone use unpadded bib-tights over the top of their normal bib shorts during the winter? Is it comfortable for 3-4hr rides?

Absolutely fine. I have a couple pairs of Assos bib shorts and can wash / dry these in succession whilst continuing to wear the same unpadded tights. A lot more comfortable that cheap(er) padded bib tights IMHO.
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    daviesee wrote:
    The only problem could be if you wore them when it is too hot.

And here is an advantage again to separate shorts and tights... as if it is too hot, you could always take of the tights, leaving just the shorts underneath. If you did that with padded tights... well.... :oops:
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    cjw wrote:
    daviesee wrote:
    The only problem could be if you wore them when it is too hot.

And here is an advantage again to separate shorts and tights... as if it is too hot, you could always take of the tights, leaving just the shorts underneath. If you did that with padded tights... well.... :oops:

Fair point 8)
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Just make sure the tights that you wear over your shorts are big enough comfort wise. The ideal thing imo are tights with an insert which is what i wear.

Assos are my choice, the Airprotecs with the excellent knee support, but I used to wear plain De Marchi tights with padded shorts underneath, which for me was very comfortable.
  • I'm looking for 3 pairs of thermal padded tights for a ride to Copenhagen in December. What brands provide the best value for money?
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    for padded ones, see if you can find an aldi that still has the winter bibtights still in, they are reet good bargains

try prendas, try probikekit, wiggle do decent enough budget bibs, see what CRC have as well......
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • Cheers - found this too http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=c0914 so I can fly the flag!