Vätternrundan 2010 - Sub 9 Hours New Start -Nervous already

weeve
weeve Posts: 393
Registration started for the Vätternrundan 2010 today here in Sweden with a new category for the first 600 who think they can do sub 9 hours for the 300km - and start time of 09:30 on the Saturday.

Well Ive taken my chance - I'll get a lie in and then get to ride with some of the fastest people.Last year the fastest was 7:37 and 900 people did sub-9 hours. I did 10 hours last year without any drafting or lead out man (or women)! so banking on a) getting fit (in my dreams) and b) some nice people to follow.

Feel free to join me...going to be nobby embarassed no mates. My Mrs and local mates have politely declined and will start earlier. They basically want me to be utterly humiliated and all alone given I'll have just ticked to 40 and only started road bike riding this year.

Fuxk. Now I have to ride this winter. Nervous already. Oh yeah

Comments

• I'm planning to do the Vattern again next year, 10:08 last year with a lot of drafting, but with an extra 2 years training I'll be looking for 9hrs. My Swedish mate did 9:11 this year, so that's the first target.
    :twisted:
  • weeve
    weeve Posts: 393
    get on the late start then.... I can follow you :)
    I'd better get some bling carbon wheels - 1500 quid should save me oh, what, 10 mins? Bargin- save for the "turn up, look good, ride badly, get laughed at, fake injury" sequence I can envisage already
  • You won't want to follow me, my Swedish mate was complaining that I'm too small to cut a hole for him.

I've been thinking about carbon wheels as well - the sound of them in a group of 100 (this is the up-side of a 0300 start) is lovely. But I do feel that I ought to earn them first ...
  • I'm doing it for the first time in 2010. Just a question on where you guys normally stay and any tips on the best way to get there?
  • Les5152 wrote:
    I'm doing it for the first time in 2010. Just a question on where you guys normally stay and any tips on the best way to get there?

I can't help with where to stay as my Swedish mate has a tame local friend who does B&B and books it up every year for a group of friends. The town opens up a couple of large camp sites and also a couple of sports halls, but you have to book them.

We're driving down - it's not that far from Stockholm. I think that there are special trains put on, but again you'll have to book early.