Heating up cold downhills

suzyb
suzyb Posts: 3,449
edited October 2009 in Commuting chat
It's getting a tad cold on the long downhill heading out of town now (my fingers were freezing this morning). So I'd like to get some long fingered gloves however I'm not sure which kind to get.

My hands aren't actually cold, it's just the exposed bits of my fingers that feel the chill. And they warm up once the road levels out a bit.

But should I still go for a full wind and waterproof pair of gloves because it's only going to get colder and I don't want to end up having to buy another pair later.

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,700
    I've never had a problem with my hands being too warm when riding.
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    -null- wrote:

But should I still go for a full wind and waterproof pair of gloves because it's only going to get colder and I don't want to end up having to buy another pair later.

I've just ordered a pair of waterproof gloves that have an inner liner ... in effect, 3 pair of gloves in one :)

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Altura_Night_Vision_Waterproof_Gloves/5360044979/

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    whyamihere wrote:
    I have, not nice getting sweaty hands inside gloves :(

ESP when they have nice fleecy lining that pulls out when your hand does, which makes it an annoying proddy-inny game when trying to get the glove back on later...

To the OP, in the in-between times like now I tend to put a pair of cheapo woolly gloves on underneath my mitts - but you might find full-fingered summer gloves good if any are going cheap now the season's over...
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • Big Wib
    Big Wib Posts: 363
    AndyManc wrote:
    -null- wrote:

I've just ordered a pair of waterproof gloves that have an inner liner ... in effect, 3 pair of gloves in one :)

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Altura_Night_Vision_Waterproof_Gloves/5360044979/

snap & lots of other people have had the same idea from the stock levels
  • Flasheart
    Flasheart Posts: 1,278
    Yep had a pair of the black Altura ones for a couple of years now. Actually started wearing them for the trip to and from work in the last fortnight. Really comfy glove.
    The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle. ...Stapp’s Ironical Paradox Law
    FCN3
    http://img87.yfrog.com/img87/336/mycubeb.jpg
    http://lonelymiddlesomethingguy.blogspot.com/
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Layers can help stop your hands getting sweaty. I'm now on fingered gloves, but I have a thin base layer glove which fits underneath when it gets really parky. The base layer gloves are much like running gloves.

Just make sure you get the right size so they don't cut the blood supply to your hands. I bought mine from Lewis Kit.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jopari
    jopari Posts: 84
    At this time of year I put thin gloves under fingerless cycling gloves. Decathlon do a great pair of silk liner gloves for about a fiver.
    Then when it gets really cold, some windproof ones (mine are made by Sealskin but aren't waterproof). Waterproof gloves can cause sweating, so aren't really needed I'd say, as long as the gloves stay warm when wet.
    Cannondale R800 - Dry
    Kona Honky Tonk - Wet
    '96 GT Outpost - Kids on back
    Genesis Core 120 - Mud
    Raleigh Pro Race - Shop
  • +1 for the seal skinz windproofs once the temperature seriously drops. They got me though last winter nicely.

Right now I'm using a set of Bontrager Rhythm full finger MTB gloves which I find work really well even on my CX bike drop bars. Felt a little chill in the fingers with them this morning but was fine once I'd got going.

Mike
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I'm using some old fox hesh mtb gloves they're great at the mo. I got some altura windproof ones but they're too hot for now.

I like te look of the prendas long finger gloves, bit pricey though at £35.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • DevUK
    DevUK Posts: 299
    I'm using 661 mtb gloves, and have been all year. When it gets really cold I'll be looking for something warmer though, as the thinsulate (non cycling) gloves I wore last year are too bulky.
    FCN Daily commute = 11
    FCN Fixie commute = 5
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    I do find my hands can get quite sweaty even with my short fingered gloves (like the rest of me :oops: )

So I think I'll just get a thinner pair for just now then get a base layer later if I need it.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    In the summer I use ozzo washable gel mitts I have two pairs, wear one, wash one

In the winter it is a bit more complicated

I have two pairs of light wind proof full finger gloves. Two pairs of sealskinz "waterproof" caving gloves. A pair of gortex "beaters" gloves from the local farm coop and a pair of merino wool glove liners

At the moment I am wearing the light wind proof gloves. I have one pair specialized windproof gloves, which are rather nice and one pair of altura which are rather cheap. Both work ok and the altura are a year old and haven't fallen to bits. These are good at the moment with temperatures of 3 or 4 degrees C. The specialized ones are good when it is warmer too and also are mildly waterproof. Great bit of kit. I think they are a 3 or 4 year old version of what is now the "Specialized BG Gel Long Finger Gloves"

I am also carrying in the bag a pair of the sealskinz gloves. These are not cycling specific and have no ulunar nerve protection but are suffiicently thick to pad a little bit. They are designed for caving. When they were new they were water proof. After a couple of years they are not. But they are sufficently "weather proof" to keep out the worst of rain/cold/wind and work great when you have to ride in extremely adverse but not super cold conditions. it is good to have a couple of pairs as they take more than a day to dry out after getting wet

When it gets colder I will use the merino liners with the wind proof gloves.
    When it gets even colder the goretex "beater" gloves get used. Again these are not cycling specific they are just something cheap from the local farm coop

So to sum up, you need lots of gloves as there are lots of different weather conditions
  • sarajoy wrote:
    whyamihere wrote:
    I have, not nice getting sweaty hands inside gloves :(

ESP when they have nice fleecy lining that pulls out when your hand does, which makes it an annoying proddy-inny game when trying to get the glove back on later...

To the OP, in the in-between times like now I tend to put a pair of cheapo woolly gloves on underneath my mitts - but you might find full-fingered summer gloves good if any are going cheap now the season's over...
    +1!

I find pinching the finger tips helps to keep the inside part inside. Magic gloves are good under mitts around this time of year. Y'know ... the one size fits all kind.
  • Big Wib
    Big Wib wrote:
    AndyManc wrote:
    -null- wrote:

Just realised that I didn't in fact order the pair I thought I had :oops: and now there are none left.

I've decided to blame Andy for getting my pair
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    I have a "windproof" pair of Specialized gloves that put simply, are not windproof!
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    I did the 'magic' woolly gloves plus mitts today. Just right :)
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • don_don
    don_don Posts: 1,007
    Specialized BG 'Deflect' gloves - just warm/waterproof enough and decently breathable. Plus they're only £25. I got mine from Leisure Lakes but Pearsons do them as well.
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    Big Wib wrote:
    Big Wib wrote:
    AndyManc wrote:
    -null- wrote:

Just realised that I didn't in fact order the pair I thought I had :oops: and now there are none left.

NOPE, :P , I'm still waiting for mine, I ordered them realising they don't have stock till the end of the month.

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • Big Wib
    AndyManc wrote:
    Big Wib wrote:
    Big Wib wrote:
    AndyManc wrote:
    -null- wrote:

NOPE, :P , I'm still waiting for mine, I ordered them realising they don't have stock till the end of the month.

In fact you're not to blame as they were sitting waiting for me when i got home, they just hadn't turned up with the rest of the order :oops: SORRY