Today's unforeseen lunchtime bike maintenance...

Jamey
Jamey Posts: 2,152
edited October 2009 in Commuting chat
Sod's law, isn't it... I've got a new set of cables on order and they should be arriving this week but nevertheless I'm going to have to do some cable maintenance this lunchtime to get me home and last for a few days until I can fit the new cables, ideally on Saturday.

The problem is that the sealed liner on my front mech cable (I have Transfil Mudlovers fully sealed cables) has got pulled into the lever housing and become chewed up inside, preventing proper shifting at the front. I'm fairly sure this is user error as the same thing happened on my rear mech cable and thinking back to when I fitted them I am now 75% sure that I got the order wrong when installing things.

Anyway...

The obvious solution is to just remove the liner sleeve and re-fit it as a normal cable. Easy peasy. Except for the fact that I'll need to remove the cable end cap and the wire is almost certainly frayed underneath, making the thought of threading it back through the cable stops fairly unpleasant.

So I'm thinking I might loosen the cable as much as possible but then re-clamp it in the mech to stop it slipping and just gradually work the liner through, cutting it away with a pen knife as I go.

Not that I have a pen knife, of course... I'm just hoping someone else in the building does.

Ho hum... Just wanted to share that, really.

Comments

• Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    Can't you just get the front mech onto the middle or big ring and leave it there, no shifting, til the new cables arrive?
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • Jamey
    I suppose. I just don't like the idea of chewed up plastic sitting in the lever assembly for any longer than is necessary.
  • Stuey01
    You could try your method. If it doesn't work you could take the cable off altogether and set the derailleur in place for one ring using the limit screws.
  • Jamey
    Think I might just use your first suggestion tbh. Not sure how much of a lunch break I'll get today.

The choice now is whether to set it in the middle ring or the big ring.

Probably big.
  • Stuey01
    Jamey wrote:

Probably big.
    that's the spirit
    :D