Weight loss

crispybug3
crispybug3 Posts: 12
What is the best type of training to get the maximum amount of weight loss over this winter?
I know about reducing my food intake, but would longer slightly easier rides or harder shorter rides accelerate the fat reduction?
Just for clarity I'll state that I'm 6' 2" and weigh 17 st 11 lbs, I'd like to get down to under 14 st as I don't need the extra weight as this is going to be my last season playing rugby.
I'm using an Orbea road bike and an Cycle-ops turbo trainer, all advice gratefully received.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Coffee in the morning, go for a 30 mile steady ride, the caffeine helps with fat burning.
  • Ride the maximal intensity you are capable of sustaining for the duration of time you have available to ride.

and sort out your diet.

and maybe read the 15 thousand other threads on the same topic :wink:
  • Google "Hiit" interval training.

Hiit interval training is the quickest way to shift the lard!
  • Carpe Diem wrote:
    Google "Hiit" interval training.

Hiit interval training is the quickest way to shift the lard!

No it's not considering you can't really conduct High Intensity Intervals on a daily basis.
  • 30 mins of Hiit 5 times a week is doable with the right recovery.

It also fits in with most peoples busy lives.

Not everyone has the time to do 5 hour fat burning rides several times a week ;-)
  • Carpe Diem wrote:
    30 mins of Hiit 5 times a week is doable with the right recovery.

It also fits in with most peoples busy lives.

Not everyone has the time to do 5 hour fat burning rides several times a week ;-)
    Far better off riding at the highest average power you can sustain for the time available.
  • Bill D
    Bill D Posts: 62
    I'd say just get out and ride as much as you can. If you ride more than you have been doing, and don't eat any more than you have been doing, then I'd say it's certain you'll lose weight. No good shedding loads of weight quickly: you'll only lose strength and get ill if you train too hard. Take it steady at first, do a month on one regime then adjust the regime depending how much weight you've lost. The key to it all is not overdoing it and picking up injuries or bugs, as these will slow down your progress more than anything.
  • problem is finding the will to put in the saddle time over winter

over 100miles a week is good and just work up your average and distance over time. the more your body moves the more energy you burn

avoid taking high carb energy drinks on the rides as it kinda defies the point and take 1 or 2 days off each week

also mix it up a little, for instance when you go on the turbo, have blips where go mad for as long as you can and proper get a sweat on.just make sure you keep your mp3 up to date or you'll lose interest quickly
    Crafted in Italy apparantly
  • guv001
    guv001 Posts: 688
    Ride the maximal intensity you are capable of sustaining for the duration of time you have available to ride.

and sort out your diet.

This is exactly what I have done this summer and I've lost 2 stone, which isn't bad considering I was only 13st to begin with. The main thing was sorting out my diet which is unrecognizable to 4 months ago.
  • GavH
    GavH Posts: 933
    I spent just over7 weeks in Afghanistan recently. I did no intervals, did not worry about long fat burning sessions, didn't drink much coffee and the only power I was interested in was the air power smashing the enemy. I did next to no training in the gym. I lost SEVERAL kilos.

Simple fact, when calories consumed is less than calories expended, you'll lose weight. If you are really interested in losing weight, read up on nutriton rather than certain types of specific training. Either that or join the Army and go on the Afghan plan for 6 months. :wink:
  • Tonymufc
    Tonymufc Posts: 1,016
    Come over to my house, I'll infect you with whatever I've got and that should do the trick. So far I've lost 7lbs in six days of illness, and still dropping.
  • @GavH

I agree the Afghan weight loss plan is the most effective method of losing Lbs; that compounded with a spot of D&V can do wonders for your waist line.

That and stress related JPA problems. (sorry guys need to know basis) 8)