Tryes wrecked by brakes.

TimBirtwhistle
TimBirtwhistle Posts: 5
edited October 2009 in Road beginners
I just bought a cube Aerial from Chain reaction but after the first ride i've been getting puctures everytime i ride it. It turns out that the brake pads were positioned too high so that they wore through the tyre side wall. Do you think that Chain reaction would replace the tyre (as its slightly their fault) or will i have to stump up the money myself?

Comments

• softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    could you not have adjusted them..? it's very simple....
  • Yeah, i've adjusted them now but its my first road bike so i didn't know what to expect. I thought they would have been set up correctly already.
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    well, if they were supposed to have set the bike up for you as part of the deal, then clearly that would constitute supplying the bike in an 'unsafe' condition.

There might be a counter-argument that it is also up to the buyer to satisfy himself that the bike is in a safe and rideable condition before riding it....
  • sods_law
    sods_law Posts: 161
    You could email CRC and tell them what has happened, say you are a novice and expected better etc. (I got my bike from there and it was set up fine).

Be polite and don't moan too much, they normally have pretty good customer service! If you ask for a replacement tyre and call it quits, then that might be fair, but as tyres are wear & tear items, they might say no!

Ask and see what they say, if its a 'no', at least its only a cheap fix.
  • Sirius631
    Sirius631 Posts: 991
    sods_law wrote:
    ....but as tyres are wear & tear items, they might say no!

I can't see them saying no, as the tyres have not had chance to suffer normal wear and tear. This is the perfect opertunity for them to demonstrate good customer service and gain a loyal customer in the process. When buying anything, I find my positive opinion of a company is enhanced more by how they handle things that have gone wrong rather than things that have gone right.
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • sturmey
    sturmey Posts: 964
    They will probably want to help you out in some way but just because the brakeblocks were out of adjustment does not in my mind constitute shoddy service -merely what would be expected on a mailorder bike.
    But now you are the owner of what is quite an expensive lightweight machine you might want to learn some maintenance/setup skills to get the best out of your bike in future.
    I doubt that ANY mail order bike is ready to ride straight out of the box-especially where the brakes are concerned.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    My nephew got his bike from CRC, and needed near complete setting up. There's no way it was ready out of the box.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Sirius631
    sturmey wrote:
    But now you are the owner of what is quite an expensive lightweight machine you might want to learn some maintenance/setup skills to get the best out of your bike in future.
    +1. Maintaining your bike can be a whole world of fun in itself.

I doubt that ANY mail order bike is ready to ride straight out of the box-especially where the brakes are concerned.
    All mail order bikes come flat-packed to some degree. My Condor Agio just needed to have the wheels put in, the seat pin inserted and the handle bars clamping home on the stem. Although I did give it a check over, it was right in all other aspects straight out of the box. What they should be doing is fully assembling the bike as if it was going to be ridden there and then, give it a propper pre-ride check, and then take it apart for shipping.

I've picked up one bike straight from the manufacturer with the cantilever brake bolts missing, so it's not the fact that it's mail order, it's plain lack of attension to detail.
  • I got impatient and just ordered a new tyre so i suppose i can't really ask for a replacement now. It was a bit cheaper than i was expecting so thats alright, as long as theres no more bike related spending til next month! Thanks for the advice guys.
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    sods_law wrote:
    You could email CRC and tell them what has happened, say you are a novice and expected better etc. (I got my bike from there and it was set up fine).

Be polite and don't moan too much, they normally have pretty good customer service! If you ask for a replacement tyre and call it quits, then that might be fair, but as tyres are wear & tear items, they might say no!

this is the way to go - did you try it?

nothing too pushy - just that you were disapointed and it resulted in expenditure that you shouldn't really have to suffer - i'd be amazed if they didn't send you some tyres.
  • sods_law
    sods_law Posts: 161
    gkerr4 wrote:
    sods_law wrote:

nothing too pushy - just that you were disapointed and it resulted in expenditure that you shouldn't really have to suffer - i'd be amazed if they didn't send you some tyres.

I had a different problem on my bike. The rear freehub that came with the bike fell apart after 3 months, so I sent the wheel back and they replaced it with a Shinamo 105 freehub and posted it back. Cant ask for better than that!
  • gkerr4 wrote:
    sods_law wrote:

I sent them an email but they said they can't be held responsible for it. It probably is my fault but i don't see why they would set up the front brake and the gears but not the rear brake. Its not too much to replace i suppose.
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    Sirius631 wrote:
    it's plain lack of attension to detail.

:wink: Sorry, couldn't resist it, i'm usually the worst but seemed spot on :lol:
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    My nephew got his bike from CRC, and needed near complete setting up. There's no way it was ready out of the box.

+1 On nothing being out of the box ready to ride. I guess it could have been, maybe, with a lot of luck. No, no way. If anything, at least seat height and pedal installation.
  • Sirius631
    Sirius631 wrote:
    it's plain lack of attension to detail.

:wink: Sorry, couldn't resist it, i'm usually the worst but seemed spot on :lol:

Touché. I can waste many a minute deliberating spelling. Ironic, given the topic. :oops: