Advice on tubless set up and tyre choice

pedlad
pedlad Posts: 127
edited October 2009 in MTB general
Hi

Very confused so hope you can help

My new Orange ST4 came with a tubeless set up and despite browsing many threads I remain totally confused about the various types of set up. Could someone geve me a dummies guide to the different systems and how they work (eg rim strips, sealant etc)

I currently have Bontranger mustang rims with Bonty Jones AC X tubless tyres. Have to say traction is amazing (although coming from hardtail that could be the ST4's suspension) but the tyres don't inspire confidence on corners.

I used to love the feel of the panaracer Fire XC pros with tubes - are these available/worthwhile upgrade tubeless for these rims?

Comments

• pedlad
    :(
  • I think I am right in saying that your rims are designed to be run tubeless with just a rim strip and a valve from Bontrager`s own tubeless kit.

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/bontrager-tubeless-rim-item116061.html

As for tyres,the Bontrager ones are again designed specifically for this set up.I`d look at Bontrager`s own range first,so see if they have something more to your liking.

With a Bontrager tyre and that kit getting them set up for tubeless should be relatively easy.

Other non tubeless specific tyres may work but some are better than others and a lot is down to the sidewall and bead seating.There is a list of reccomeneded tyres and a good overview on the just riding along website and the stans no tubes website.

http://www.justridingalong.com/content.php?pid=547
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • pedlad
    Thanks for the reply - sounds like it may be a bit of a limiting set up if I have to stick with bonty tyres.

You mentioned that other "non tubeless" tyre may work....but what about other tubeless tyres such as the ust ones I've heard mentioned? Why would these not work better than tubeless ones?
  • Salsa
    Salsa Posts: 753
    I think you misunderstood , any UST tyre can be run with the Bonty wheels with the rim strip. I run Continental race king UST with mine.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    I agree with Spiderman the bonty wheels are designed to be tubeless with the addition of a rim strip and valve.

As far as tyre choice there are a few different names for tubeless compatible tyres.
    - UST (used by maxxis and panaracer and others)
    - Tubeless (used by bonty, hutchingson and others)
    - 2 bliss (used by specialized)

Usually using a tubeless ready rim and tyre is quick and easy to set up (in my experience anyway).

You can also use normal tyres and sometimes these will work OK but can be hit and miss depending on the tyre
  • eddyesi
    eddyesi Posts: 198
    pedlad wrote:
    I currently have Bontranger mustang rims with Bonty Jones AC X tubless tyres. Have to say traction is amazing (although coming from hardtail that could be the ST4's suspension) but the tyres don't inspire confidence on corners

What Size ACX they come up narrow, so if you want a 2.1, go for the 2.2, or 2.35 if your used to a bigger tyre. Also what pressures you running. Work great with the TLR rims, inflated up with a handpump 8)

I love mine, the 2.2 running tubelss gives great grip straight line and cornering, nearly as good as the Nobby nic i killed, and much better all rounder than the Fire XC.

If you want somat different try the Kenda Nevegal or Blue groove DTC's on the rear, didnt get on with mine though.

Tyres are really personal though, if you liked the fire XC, maybe try the Cinders too :idea: