seatpost???

nax-ian
nax-ian Posts: 209
edited October 2009 in Road beginners
So I've got a 350mm post extended over the "min." mark by 1cm or so to enable me to get the right leg extension, which still leaves approx. 7cms of post in the frame.
Is that too little left in the frame?
Should I opt for a longer post, and if so, would I feel any benefits (i.e. vibration reduction) of carbon over alloy?
Any thoughts you guys???

Cheers
Finished

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    get a longer seat post.

carbon or alloy or.... it depends on the post.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Limburger
    Limburger Posts: 346
    Jeeeesus. You have over a foot of post showing?
    I guess that 1cm is not going to make the difference between rock solid and total catastrophic failure.

If you have that much post showing might i suggest the frame is probably way too small. Or you have monstrously long legs and a really short torso.
    Literally 'legs up to your armpits' territory.

What length is the stem out of interest?

Oh and you can get 400mm seat posts maybe longer too but not in carbon usually as they are for MTBs where you tend to have a lot of post.
    God made the Earth. The Dutch made The Netherlands

FCN 11/12 - Ocasional beardy
  • nax-ian
    nax-ian Posts: 209
    Thanks for the input guys.
    Found an old MTB post which is 400mm long , would I get away with putting a shim in the frame? And it's carbon!
    Limburger,there's not really a foot of post showing it's about 8" , the stem is 120mm, an I actually feel too stretched, am probably gonna change that as well! Yes you're right I am all legs with a short torso.
    I dont think my position has been helped by the fact that the cranks are 172.5 instead of 175mm jobs!!
    Re, frame size, I'm right on the "cusp' of 2 sizes so I went for the smaller one.
    So, whaddaya make of all this?
    Cheers
    Ian
    Finished
  • Wappygixer
    Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
    I don't think you'll notice any difference with cranks length.I was runnign 3 different lengths on 3 different bikes and couldn't tell from 1 bike to the next.
    A seat post has a minimum marker for a reason.Not only may the post snap but could also damage your frame, espeially if the seat post clamp is much higher than the top tube.
    Shims are ok but they only shim a small part of the post.Buy once and buy right, get the correct seat post and cycling happily. :D