First time riding through clouds...

Bhima
Bhima Posts: 2,145
edited October 2009 in Road beginners
Wow, what an experience... :shock:

Going up the Cat & Fiddle road yesterday and realizing that when I was at the top, I couldn't see 5m in front of myself was really scary. Because that climb is so gradual, and I tend to look at the floor a bit too much when climbing, I only really noticed when I got to the top!

I've been up there in all sorts of winter conditions, but the clouds have never been that low before.

Wish I had lights on the descent as I was going about 18mph because of the headwind. :?

Wierd how, when I was in the cloud, I stayed dry, yet on both sides of the descent on the way back it was soaking wet under the cloud. :?:

Comments

• It's an odd experience isn't it?! That has only happened to me a couple of times on Cleeve Hill near Cheltenham. Once time I was walking on Titterstone Clee Hill - it was foggy and frosty at ground level but at the top we just emerged through the inversion layer - a very unusual scene! http://www.flickr.com/photos/jtrickey/2127695338/
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I've seen that there in July - thought I'd practice some hills in readiness for seeing the tour in the Alps - was sunny in Macc, and thick mist up there. We had to cut short the ride - and my mates GPS came in handy cos we couldnt see where the hell we were !
  • cw42
    cw42 Posts: 205
    Was up long hill on monday myself, and it wasn't as bad as you had it up the C&F Bhima, but still pretty mucky! :)
    The ride back along the a6 to celf was interesting in a very strong headwind! :shock:
    live long, eat biscuit
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    I can see Cilgwyn Mtn from my front room, it's about 1,200ft. In the winter it's clear 1minute, then gone the next! I drove up there a few months ago, sunny at sea level, total whiteout with freezing fog in Cilgwyn, Carmel and Fron villages.

When the sun sets over Anglesey, it lights up the mountain with reds, golds, purples and all sorts of autumnal shades, as the missus calls them.

At the very top there's a big rocky outcrop, sort of like something from "The Hounds of the Baskervilles". You see all of Anglesey, Snowdon and surrounding mountains. Fantastic!!!
  • Used to get that often when lived in wales, when it's very bad (under 6ft say) can make you think you've missed a turn as it takes so long to get to each landmark etc.
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    I suppose for all you young 'uns it's a strange experience but when I were nobbut a lad we had proper fog - even at low level - which is much like riding in cloud (which we did on a ride from St Jean Pied de Port in SW France last year).

I really appreciate the clean air acts which banished old fashioned coal fires and put a stop to fog so dense you could actually bump into lamp posts (even when stone cold sober). Of course we lived in a cardboard box as well :lol:

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • Bhima
    edited October 2009
    Sounds like fun Geoff - I was talking to a 105 year old man today, who used to cycle in the peaks when he was my age. Apparently, the climbs were all cobbled back then and there was mist every day. :shock:

Here's a photo of the climb going from Kettleshulme up to the Pym Chair Farm (Saltersford, near Jenkins Chapel, but coming up the easier way). This is before it got REALLY bad.

You can usually see a massive cliff-edge here. :shock:

9320_171054682072_587602072_3395802_6092210_n.jpg
  • Awesome innit. And a good reason for taking lights and hi-viz jacket even in the daylight 8)
  • Bhima
    Lights and High-Vis? :roll: I hope you're joking. :|
  • ajohn9
    ajohn9 Posts: 260
    Ive been up the snake pass a few times in the fog. very strange experience. but i kinda like it!
  • Bhima wrote:

no
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Bhima wrote:

no

Oh dear.
  • What? Merely pointing out that if you're going to be riding in the hills in winter, you might end up in cloud so it's a good idea to take lights and a bright jacket.

I didn't think it was *that* controversial a statement. :roll: :wink:
  • Anonymous
    What? Merely pointing out that if you're going to be riding in the hills in winter, you might end up in cloud so it's a good idea to take lights and a bright jacket.

Tongue firmly in cheek mate, :wink:
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    What? Merely pointing out that if you're going to be riding in the hills in winter, you might end up in cloud so it's a good idea to take lights and a bright jacket.

I've encountered thick mist at Blackstone Edge quite a few times. There have been numerous accidents up there including several fatalities. One time I had ridden up the Cragg Vale climb with a mate and we entered thick mist up by the reservoir at the top. I know how dodgy that junction can be in poor visibility so I started to warn my mate:

"Hey Bill, be really careful at the junction ahead. If you're not careful some dickhead driver will..."

[Sudden sounds of screeching brakes and skidding, followed by BANG, BANG, BANG as multiple cars collided]

"... do something like that!"

We checked to make sure that the idiots who had been involved in the smash were all okay (they were) and left them phoning the emergency services.

I think that hi-viz and lights make a lot of sense at this time of year. Which reminds me - I must get new batteries for my rear light!
  • I agree the T junction at the top of Cragg Vale is lethal for cyclists in mist/cloud. Actually I'm just off for a ride up there now :D Sun is cracking the flags today though
  • Bhima
    It was a joke...

I wear all-white, which stands out a lot on the road. However, when up in that mist, I wish I had all black on Those silly yellow glowing jackets wont really cut it in this situation.
  • Anonymous
    I always have something hi-vis on and have my lights if there is a risk of fog or if it starts getting dark.

Last Tuesday in torrential rain I happened upon a head on collision between two cars that had just happened. After sorting out the casualties and calling 999 I was able to sort the traffic out in full hi-vis technicolour.
  • Bhima wrote:

I wear all-white, which stands out a lot on the road.

LOL you stand out like a sore thumb mate :shock:

9320_171566042072_587602072_3398739_1813010_n.jpg
  • Anonymous
    Bhima wrote:

9320_171566042072_587602072_3398739_1813010_n.jpg[/quote

Is that Bhima ?

Look at those handlebars. :shock:
  • dmclite wrote:
    Bhima wrote:

9320_171566042072_587602072_3398739_1813010_n.jpg[/quote

Is that Bhima ?

Look at those handlebars. :shock:

CAMEL TOE
  • Anonymous
    Bhima you look a bit androgenous there, you may confuse some people.