One week on.. Wrist aches!

mattward1979
mattward1979 Posts: 692
edited October 2009 in Road beginners
So im a week (and a bit) into owning and riding my new bike, and am now thinking that my wrist/arm pain is down to the fact that I usually carry a rucksack with several textbooks and binders everywhere with me!

Seems logical that this extra weight is adding to my discomfort.

Does this sound right? If so, I can live with if for short rides and gear myself appropriately for longer hikes!
exercise.png

Comments

• rally200
    rally200 Posts: 646
    I found my hands & wrists ached when I first moved to drops from flats - it turned out all I needed to do was to relax my grip, and let my elbows bend a bit.

That said I never feel my position is quite right when I've got any weight in a back pack.
  • lol your title sounds so wrong!
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    So im a week (and a bit) into owning and riding my new bike, and am now thinking that my wrist/arm pain is down to the fact that I usually carry a rucksack with several textbooks and binders everywhere with me!

Does this sound right? If so, I can live with if for short rides and gear myself appropriately for longer hikes!

Try a longer ride without your rucksack, perhaps? :wink:
    Cycling weakly
  • skyd0g wrote:

Try a longer ride without your rucksack, perhaps? :wink:

tough to do at the moment =P

Full time (Mature!) student working my way through Uni at the weekends!!!

A depressing amount of commute for my race bike
    exercise.png
  • edindevon
    edindevon Posts: 325
    I don't think that the weight of your rucksack should cause wrist pain.

I noticed that I was getting some pain in the wrist and hands when riding my second bike recently. This was after I had ridden my best bike pretty much exclusively for a few weeks. I checked and the angle of the drops was a bit different on the two bikes. I adjusted the bars on my second bike to match my best bike and that solved the problem.

So basically my advice is to see if adjusting the angle of the handlebars helps.

Edindevon