Specialized Tricross Singlespeed

merlinghnd
merlinghnd Posts: 106
edited October 2009 in Road general
Hello,

I think this might be the right forum for this. I have a Focus Cayo road bike and want to buy a "winter" bike for my commute to work. I have seen the Specialized Tricross Singlespeed which looks great to me and fun. I am a bit worried about going completely fixed, this bike gives you the option of fixed or freewheel. Has anyone any views on this bike??

Thanks for any replies in advance.

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I own one. It's a good bike. It comes with a flip-flop hub so you can have a freewheel on one side of the hub and a fixed sprocket on the other side and switch between fixed/single speed by flipping the wheel round.

Fixed really isn't that scarey - after a week or two riding fixed you'll probably wonder why people make such a deal out of it.

Riding fixed is fun though :D
    More problems but still living....
  • I-S
    I-S Posts: 13
    I bought one last year, and immediately put a sprocket on the fixed side. Excellent bike, mine's geared @ 69" and gives me a good work out commuting up hills. Never used the freewheel yet. The wheel are poor, but fine at the price. First chain & sprocket lasted ~ 1500 miles. I'd buy another without hesitation.
  • merlinghnd
    merlinghnd Posts: 106
    Thanks for the replies, I am very interested. From what I can tell is the Tricross 2010 is no longer single gear but the 2010 Langster seems to be the replacement model. Any thoughts on this.

The sprocket thing, should I replace and do chaiins on these bikes take a hammering and go quite soon?

Thanks for you advice, when I do get a bike, will post a reply on this thread.
  • Njord
    Njord Posts: 2
    Funnily enough, I own a Focus Cayo and bought a Tricross Singlespeed last year for winter commuting. Like I-S, I immediately put a sprocket (16T I think) on the fixed side of the hub and haven't looked back! Tremendous value for money, and the only negative for me is that the v-brakes are truly awful - you certainly wouldn't want to ride this bike off-road.
  • No Tricross single this year. Well pleased with my new Langster.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Plenty of 2009 Tricross Singles still around though....
    More problems but still living....
  • Will admit though - Tricross accepts guards and wider tyres - def a plus
  • I like mine. Run a16 t fixed and an 18 t freewheel which I use for single track stuff. Still on original tyres. Wheels been ok for me in 15 months and haven't touched them yet. Some people moan about brake judder but this appears to be to do with set up. mine doesn't . Plenty of old freewheel type wheels out there if you want to build some more wheels.
  • Baytt
    Baytt Posts: 102
    The shops should be dropping the prices for the 09 Single Crosses soon.

picked up an 08 one in Feb for just a shade over 300 w/ delivery. Great value for the bike your getting

Run a 16t Freewheel and got a 16t fixed / lockring on order from lbs,

put in plenty of miles commuting to work and general riding, just needed new brake pads.
    tyres are originals as is the chain ( minus a few links) but think the wheels might need to be trued soon.

- merlinghnd - the langster cant really be a replacement since it was already out :)
  • I got the `08 one in January for 275. Its the first `good' bike I've had for the short flat commute I have into the heart of a bike-theft rich city centre. (not `good' = disposable/used sub 75 Pound `MTB'). Got a good lock and chip-tagged it and duct-taped the huge Specialized wording to make it stand out less. So far so good! I also tow my son around on it on his tag-along which can be a good workout. Definitely recommend it for any routes without significant grades.
  • gtitim
    gtitim Posts: 225
    bought one last year, I love it accept the colouring is a bit dull. Change the tyres and if you can then get some new wheels. Otherwise its good to go. The 08 version cost me £275.

Great winter bike, especially if you want to stick guards on it.
  • LAngster has been out for a good while. I have an 07 one and just fitted full SKS proper mudguards on it as my commuter / winter bike.
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • Saw this thread pop up to the top.

In the end I bought a Boardman SC. However due to a back/neck problem I cannot ride it properly at the moment.The spec and quality of the bike seem spot on for £499 and the ride I did take it on (using the freewheel, not brave enough for the fixed yet) was great. I have a hill or two to climb to get into work, my biggest worry was could I do it with the gearing but that went well, hard but doable (if such a word exists). Seems the perfect winter commute bike, just need to sort back and neck out and there will be no stopping me.

Everyone, enjoy your bikes
  • LorneC
    LorneC Posts: 149
    http://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/produc ... rtno=33604

£100 off the 2009 Singlecross version. Bought mine last week, and asked them to put a fixed cog on the other side, which they have done for £14.
    Already signed up for the following 2010 rides:

Etape Caledonia (May 16th)
    AMR's Trossachs Ton (June 20th)
    AMR's Cross-Border Sportive (Sept 19th)

http://www.twitter.com/LorneCallaghan
  • blorg
    blorg Posts: 1,169
    The Tricross SS is a very different bike to the Langster. The Langster is far racier. The Tricross is far far heavier but is more flexible with regard to wide tyres and full guards. I have two fixed gears, a Giant Bowery and the Tricross. The former is my "racier" fixie while the Tricross I use for commuting with full guards and rack. I did potter off road with the Tricross before commuterifying it and it was very capable.

On the geared side I have pretty similar between road bike and tourer.

Basically any fixed gear bike you can run singlespeed, even if you only have a track cog you can generally stick a freewheel on it. Most mass-market offerings actuallly come SS.

If you are commuting on the road you need to factor in the cost of changing the tyres for slicks- the cross tyres are completely unsuitable for road use. They are painful, like treacle. Thankfully I was looking for cross tyres for another bike at the time so it was a good excuse to buy the bike.

If you don't particularly need wide tyres and full length guards- and don't want to go off road, I would say don't get the Tricross. It's great for a commuter though and might be a bit different from your Cayo in terms of the flexibility. How long is your commute?