Cold/wet weather gear for legs - communting

devbrix
devbrix Posts: 127
edited October 2009 in Commuting chat
Hi :D
Will be commuting about 13 miles each way very soon when I get my cycle scheme voucher through. Not in work clothes though. Can anyone give me some advice as to good clothing to wear for cold and wet weather for ze legs? I've seen waterproof lycra bib-longs but not sure they are worth the money. Have already got plenty of jackets, gloves and body base layers from mountain biking but worried about the old legs. I do not like to get cold at all.
Cheers
All of these things....

Comments

• I've got these:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/dhb_M ... 360038993/

Bloody brilliant. But I bought them in the summer and they were £10 cheaper, plus I get a decent discount at wiggle and normally do the email thing to get another £5 off.
  • devbrix
    Hi
    More used to cycling in Altura baggies and not used to cycling in lycra. Does it keep you dry or at least reasonably dry?
    All of these things....
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    Just get a cheap pair of waterproof ovetrousers (mine were £7 off ebay) for when it rains then just worry about keeping warm the rest of the time.

Anything that's going to keep you dry is going to trap in a lot of sweat too - it's never going to be good at everything you want
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    devbrix wrote:
    Hi :D
    Will be commuting about 13 miles each way very soon when I get my cycle scheme voucher through. Not in work clothes though. Can anyone give me some advice as to good clothing to wear for cold and wet weather for ze legs? I've seen waterproof lycra bib-longs but not sure they are worth the money. Have already got plenty of jackets, gloves and body base layers from mountain biking but worried about the old legs. I do not like to get cold at all.
    Cheers

You'll be surprised how few times it actually rains on your commute,you may find doing 13 miles wearing waterproofs you'll be soaked on the inside because of sweat.

You need thermal longs for the cold and maybe these for wet weather (link below).

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Endura_Gridlock_Waterproof_Trousers/5360020531/

Consider these for the cold weather

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/dhb_Merston_Bib_Tights_2010/5360045075/#more

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    edited October 2009
    I've got a couple of pairs of wind/waterproof hiking cargo trousers from winfields - local discount hiking & camping outlet - thry're very good £15. they let the heat and sweat out nicely and as they look like bog standard chino type trousers I don't have to put up with the Max Wall comments that lycra got me.

if you're really not into the cold have a deek in Aldi this week - thinsulate lined cargo style pants for £10 - too warm for me but I ride hot anyway.

good for hybrid bikes but probably a bit odd looking if you're riding drop bars.

AndyManc's right on the frequency - I'm on the pennine edge and only occasionally get properly wet.
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    I don't have to put up with the Max Wall comments that lycra got me.

If they're old enough to know who Max Wall is they shouldn't be so childish :lol:

He could always wear baggies over them :roll:

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • AndyManc wrote:
    I don't have to put up with the Max Wall comments that lycra got me.

If they're old enough to know who Max Wall is they shouldn't be so childish :lol:

He could always wear baggies over them :roll:

:lol::lol:
  • devbrix wrote:
    Hi
    More used to cycling in Altura baggies and not used to cycling in lycra. Does it keep you dry or at least reasonably dry?

Yeah those dhb lycra tights keep you pretty dry, in fact almost completely dry unless it's torrential. And warm, but somehow not over-warm if it's on the edge between wearing tights or shorts. There is no way I would go back to over-trousers. They also give you knee support. Can't really see a downside other than the cost - I'd say definitely worth it if you can shower at the work end of your commute.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    I've got gore action tights

They are made from some kind of water resistant/wind proof wonder material
    Basically if you iron it after washing it will bead off light rain (or heavy rain for a short time) and even if it does get wet it is still warm as it is windproof. It seems to dry out pretty quickly too

I am considering fully waterproof overtrousers for later in the winter
  • devbrix
    My cycle scheme voucher came through today and I'll be ready to roll on Wednesday and the weather is perfect. I've bought a pair of DHB Merston tights and sealskinz socks and will try these out as it gets colder and wetter and will consider over trousers if I find myself getting wet and cold.
    Thanks for the advice on the post much appreciated.
    :P
    All of these things....
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Another vote for tights. Apart from feeling good ;) they do keep you pretty dry. And they dry quickly so if it rains on the way in they are normally dry for the trip home. I bought some waterproof trousers and wore them in the rain once. Waste of cash as I was almost as wet inside as if I hadn't worn anything waterproof at all
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.