GT avalanche 0.5: Upgrade or NEW

jamiepine
jamiepine Posts: 6
edited October 2009 in MTB beginners
:D hello everyone im new here :(

I have a huge problem I just bought a 5 year old GT avalanche 0.5 for £40 from a mate its 5 years old and ive been doing alot XC and some free ride mainly at cwmcarn and afan (im from cardiff) but going other places soon and entering a few comps soon.

I dont mind the bike but I really think its seen better days the frames ok and i got a new fork not to good mind lol :\ everything else is shoot (mybe sooting it would actually make it better lol) the breaks i just re sorted them out from rubing and needednew oil (really need new ones :( ) and i have to stay in a high gear as I have a few cracked gear cogs (dont knowif thats the correct wording)

My work is having a cycle to work scheme in october (again) and ive been looking around at bikes and the one thatssmacking me in the face to buy it is ORANGE CRUSH i have £1000 to spend with the scheme but i may add a bit more I have read very good reviews abought the ORANGE CRUSH

So guys and gals should i just upgrade my avalanche 0.5 to sort some kinks out or get the bike i want :)

Thank you all for your help I really need it :S

Comments

• Orange Crunch? Isn't that a type of biscuit?

Do you mean Orange CRUSH?

If so, it's a nice enough bike. What kind of comps would you be doing? Do you really need a burly 140mm Travel bike, or would 100mm be a better option?

£1k buys you a lOT of bike, even by todays standards. If it's XC lightness you are after, for £1k, imo, I don't think it gets much better than the Boardman from Halfords.
  • Ye its the crush lol i say crush in head but type out crunch lol

atm i think i have 120mm travel atm and its all good and my bikes a bit on the heavy side compared to all the guys :( lol one of the got a boardman and we went to afan done the wall and on the way back down he went so slow i had to wate afull15 mins for him to catch up but ended up destroying his bike... he didnt fall off nothing most of the gears had snaped and the chain would then just not stay on and tbh that has left a mark on me and its not even my bike lol and my bike 5 years old and took the crap i threw at it was fine.

I got the orange crush stuck in my head i have had a look around but not a full on look if you get me ive look here and there seen 1 i liked then I want it lol but i did look at loooooooads mine been looking for abought 2 months i might look into boardman a bit just that dark mark next to it wasent impressed lol
  • Oh without a doubt the Boardman is built for fairly down to earth XC.

I like the crush personally. I like the new model (2010) even more now they have fitted a triple ring.

You should obviously try to ride a few to see which one suits you best. But it'd definately make my shortlist if I was in the market for such a thing. It certainly seems to tick all the boxes you want anyways.
  • Oh without a doubt the Boardman is built for fairly down to earth XC.

I like the crush personally. I like the new model (2010) even more now they have fitted a triple ring.

You should obviously try to ride a few to see which one suits you best. But it'd definately make my shortlist if I was in the market for such a thing. It certainly seems to tick all the boxes you want anyways.

I think the crush is for me tbh it it any good on the trail?? i dont know to get it or look for lighter but mines not light now and its not hard going up :) is there any alt to the crush at all or do u think i should go for it

Thank you for replying btw
  • go for it and get the Crush. i have one, and they are great, especially good place to start and upgrade from as and when, you need to.

every bit as good as the sub zero's used to be i.m.o

not so sure about the new 2010 colour though :?
  • go for it and get the Crush. i have one, and they are great, especially good place to start and upgrade from as and when, you need to.

every bit as good as the sub zero's used to be i.m.o

not so sure about the new 2010 colour though :?

Ye I think I will end up with one and ye the colour is a bit meh and I have read that the 2009 spec is better than the 2010. I have yet to understand the difference between part but stating to learn :D
  • once you get the basic bike / frame you like and are comfortable with, the rest will take care of itself. through magazines and the good folk on the forum, you'll soon pick it up.

at the £1000 level the bike and frame are fairly decent spec, as was mine, over time you'll figure out which bits you can pimp and upgrade, mine's still work in progress!!

good luck and let us know how you get on with the "green machine" :D
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The 2010 version is much more 'xc' than the old crush.

What condition is the Avalanche in?
  • supersonic wrote:
    The 2010 version is much more 'xc' than the old crush.

What condition is the Avalanche in?

Sorry my reply took so long havent had chance to get onto net.

its 5 years old + bits of rust on the nuts and all vinals pealing lol I think I might go for a cx bike I want to do transwales in 2010 if its back :D but I LOVE trails need somthing light but can take a beating any good GTs good for that im used to Hardtails never used a full sus before is it worth going to one? I love my GT but I need a change