Turkey !

gb155
gb155 Posts: 2,048
edited October 2009 in Commuting chat
Well my Holiday is booked for Turkey in June next year, I am going to Marmaris, I want to have a whole day where by I hire a bike and head off into some SERIOUS hill climbs (Scr in 40degree heat up a mountain is my plan) ,

First off does anyone know any routes ? and second anyone reccomend a good bike hire place?

On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
Now the hard work starts.

Comments

• Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Be careful Gaz - working in that sort of heat make sure you're well hydrated - don't want heat stroke after all you're efforts
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,879
    Scr in 40degree heat up a mountain is my plan

I admire what you've done

You're an inspiration to all

But this is a seriously dumb idea.

Hire a bike, pootle with the kids, but don't try to be awesome in that sort of heat.

EDIT TO ADD Sorry if that seems harsh, I learned what a dumb idea it is in Majorca in July, I will be going back, soon, but in the Spring or Autumn
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • gb155
    With the punishment I have put my body through so far there is no reason to think this would be a problem though, provided hydration levels are kept ontop of

• always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    gb155 wrote:
    With the punishment I have put my body through so far there is no reason to think this would be a problem though, provided hydration levels are kept ontop of
    Unless its changed dramatically in the last 15 years, I wouldn't want to be on a bicycle on a Turkish road. If you think OUR Taksi drivers are bad....

Go to Tenerrife instead!!
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Gaz - this is not a good idea. My better half is Turkish and whilst she is perfectly happy cycling in London she wouldn't cycle in Turkey if you paid her, and neither would I. The traffic in Turkish cities is terrifying, and no one cycles. I was over there in Jan and June this year and on those two trips I saw 4 cyclists, only one of whom was actually riding a road bike on the road - and he didn't look like a local. I passed him in a taxi and the poor fecker looked like he was in a state of shock. This was a fairly seasoned looking roadie as well.

On top of the traffic (the driving style is manic and accidents are frequent), I'll be amazed if you can find a bike hire shop, let alone one that hires bikes of any quality whatsoever. Antalya - where my GF grew up is a far bigger city than Marmaris, it's on the south coast on a flat plain, with spectacular mountains just a few miles away. It should by cycling heaven yet there isn't a single bike shop in the entire city - that pretty much sums up the Turkish attitude to cycling, and having driven mountain roads there I wouldn't fancy being on a bike - the drivers will simply not give you room or respect.

If you enjoy Turkey and want to go again, may I suggest you venture away from the Tourist traps of Marmaris and Bodrum - you'll be well rewarded for it, it's a beautiful country.

As for the heat, it, probably won't hit 40 in June, 30 more like but if you've never ridden mountains or big big hills before, I'd suggest that Turkey in June is not the best place for your first attempt.

Sorry to be so negative, believe me I'd love to take my bike to Turkey when I'm next over, but I just don't think it's a good idea.
  • Depends where you are going. I stayed in a sunsail resort near Datca and they had a cycle hire and team on site. You could hire a bike and go off on your own, or one of the guys would take you on a route round the mountains set to your level/distance - the guy taking you looked like he could ride all day in the heat and barely break sweat. Might be worthwhile seeing if you can find anything like that near you.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    There was cycle hire at the Islamic "Butlins" I stayed at across the bay from Istanbul
    I saw a very few people cycling in Istanbul but I think this is for the stark staring mad only
    outside of the cities yes the standard of driving is poor but there are some fantastic roads
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Nice with sprouts, turkey...mmmmmmm, sprouts.... 8)

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,879
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... ght=turkey
    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=3 ... =2272&v=pQ

These threads may interest you

Cycling in intense summer heat is, in my limited experience, completely different than in the British Summer

- Get out on the road at dawn, you want to be back in the pool by mid morning

- You may expect to drink more, but you'll be suprised how much more. In Majorca in July I did one 50 mile ride, drinking 4 litres of water on the way. It wasn't enough.

- Be 100% sure of your routes, getting off course is no fun
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • gb155
    Gaz - this is not a good idea. My better half is Turkish and whilst she is perfectly happy cycling in London she wouldn't cycle in Turkey if you paid her, and neither would I. The traffic in Turkish cities is terrifying, and no one cycles. I was over there in Jan and June this year and on those two trips I saw 4 cyclists, only one of whom was actually riding a road bike on the road - and he didn't look like a local. I passed him in a taxi and the poor fecker looked like he was in a state of shock. This was a fairly seasoned looking roadie as well.

On top of the traffic (the driving style is manic and accidents are frequent), I'll be amazed if you can find a bike hire shop, let alone one that hires bikes of any quality whatsoever. Antalya - where my GF grew up is a far bigger city than Marmaris, it's on the south coast on a flat plain, with spectacular mountains just a few miles away. It should by cycling heaven yet there isn't a single bike shop in the entire city - that pretty much sums up the Turkish attitude to cycling, and having driven mountain roads there I wouldn't fancy being on a bike - the drivers will simply not give you room or respect.

If you enjoy Turkey and want to go again, may I suggest you venture away from the Tourist traps of Marmaris and Bodrum - you'll be well rewarded for it, it's a beautiful country.

As for the heat, it, probably won't hit 40 in June, 30 more like but if you've never ridden mountains or big big hills before, I'd suggest that Turkey in June is not the best place for your first attempt.

Sorry to be so negative, believe me I'd love to take my bike to Turkey when I'm next over, but I just don't think it's a good idea.

didnt think of half of those things TBH....Will have to have a rethink TBH

Thanks Tho :D

• gb155
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12653850&highlight=turkey
    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=3 ... =2272&v=pQ

These threads may interest you

Cycling in intense summer heat is, in my limited experience, completely different than in the British Summer

- Get out on the road at dawn, you want to be back in the pool by mid morning

- You may expect to drink more, but you'll be suprised how much more. In Majorca in July I did one 50 mile ride, drinking 4 litres of water on the way. It wasn't enough.

- Be 100% sure of your routes, getting off course is no fun

Cheers for them mate