Transporting mtb inside car

Steve I
Steve I Posts: 428
edited October 2009 in MTB general
My new bike has hydraulic discs - Shimano M575 to be precise. Can I transport the bike lying on its side in the back of my car? or will the brakes leak from the master cylinders.

Comments

• weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    Steve I wrote:
    My new bike has hydraulic discs - Shimano M575 to be precise. Can I transport the bike lying on its side in the back of my car? or will the brakes leak from the master cylinders.

Won't be a problem. Sealed unit.
  • MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    Transported my Hopes and Hayes equipt bikes hundreds of times with no problems, i'd be surprised if shimano are different. Make sure you put something in between the pads (where the the disc is) when you take the wheels off, in case you accidentally press the levers.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • Steve I
    Steve I Posts: 428
    Thanks for the replies and for the tip about putting something between the pads. What do people use to stop the pads from pressing together ? I would imagine it to be a bit tricky to get the pistons back in if the pads touch.
  • Same here transport mine all the time in the car, never bother putting anything between the pads, I'm just careful not to knock the lever.
    Be happy, communicate happiness.
  • MacAndCheese
    My Hayes came with a little plastic wedge that I use..sorry not much help I know.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    Steve I wrote:
    Thanks for the replies and for the tip about putting something between the pads. What do people use to stop the pads from pressing together ? I would imagine it to be a bit tricky to get the pistons back in if the pads touch.

As your lbs for something, as they are sure to have some tabs, as new bikes often come with them.
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • jadamson
    jadamson Posts: 644
    a bit of cardboard does the trick =) if you have any of the thicker like congregated one that works better! but seriously...anything....folded up paper, you name it.
  • rubins4
    rubins4 Posts: 563
    Same here transport mine all the time in the car, never bother putting anything between the pads, I'm just careful not to knock the lever.

+1
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12613038
    Anyway, fk dis, I iz off 4 a ride innit. l8rz peepz
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    jadamson wrote:
    a bit of cardboard does the trick =) if you have any of the thicker like congregated one that works better! but seriously...anything....folded up paper, you name it.

Personally I prefer corrugated cardboard, I find that the congregated stuff tends to gather together in lumps...!!!

(Sorry, couldn't resist!!!)
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • jadamson
    dave_hill wrote:
    jadamson wrote:

Personally I prefer corrugated cardboard, I find that the congregated stuff tends to gather together in lumps...!!!

(Sorry, couldn't resist!!!)

shhh! im obviously not very good at spelling :?
  • Those little plastic spacer things which come with the brakes are a god send!

With my mechanical ability, it would be dark before I'd manage to push the pistons back :lol:
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    You've got to be careful though.....I found out today my boss's car ended up in a lake after he knocked the handbrake off while removing his bike from the car. So spacers in and handbrake on!! :lol:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • bellys
    bellys Posts: 456
    rubins4 wrote:
    Same here transport mine all the time in the car, never bother putting anything between the pads, I'm just careful not to knock the lever.

+1
    +2
  • jadamson
    to be honest i dont usually put anything in between the pads... its not hard to prise them apart...just get a flat blade screwdriver and price them open carefully! job done =)
  • I always put a spacer in- it only takes a slight knock by accident and your ride could be finished before its started! Takes a whole second to remove a spacer, if you don't have anything to pry the pads apart you're stuffed. And you could damage your pads trying to open them up to!!
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • What's already been said above, but I also got a couple of really cheap 1€ fleecy blankets to lay on the boot floor and tipped down back seats. They catch all the mud and chain gunk. Put 1 fleecy blanket between bikes to stop them scratching each other. I found pedals off makes it easier to fit everything in, particularly the pedal right at the bottom of the pile of bikes.
    Andy - The Expat Cyclist in Germany
    '07/'08 Cotic Soul
    '96 Scott Vail
    '89 Ridgeback Rapide 105
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    I've never bothered when just going to the trail.

P.S. Got my Shocker in the back of my Mum's Yaris once, I've gotta win some kinda prisefor that!

When we fly with bikes we put a 2p between the pads. Cheap, readilly available, no drama.
  • jed
    jed Posts: 21
    Break a wooden peg in half and jobs a good un....both brakes sorted!
  • Chaz.Harding
    Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
    P-Jay wrote:
    P.S. Got my Shocker in the back of my Mum's Yaris once, I've gotta win some kinda prisefor that!
    Nope. No prize. I have got my road bike, my MTB (Intense 6.6) a friends road bike, tools, cycling kit, and car repair kit, AND my friend in my Micra at the same time before.

THATS worth a prize, surely...? :wink:
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    P-Jay wrote:
    Nope. No prize. I have got my road bike, my MTB (Intense 6.6) a friends road bike, tools, cycling kit, and car repair kit, AND my friend in my Micra at the same time before.

Photos or it didn't happen... :shock:
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    P-Jay wrote:

nope you are a man short.....

I regularly drive to the trails with two mates, their bikes, my bike and myself in the car. OK my car is a bit bigger than a micra......but still....its an awesome sight to behold when we pour out!

:wink:

*edit...after dave_hills comment...photo will be supplied when i get a chance to take one.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • ollie_d
    ollie_d Posts: 701
    how about fitting a transition gran mal with 40's into the back of a mk1 golf. huge bike. small car. a kona coil air just about fits in there with it too
    I rode my My Gran Mal off a Roof

My Acid
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    I always put a spacer in- it only takes a slight knock by accident and your ride could be finished before its started! Takes a whole second to remove a spacer, if you don't have anything to pry the pads apart you're stuffed. And you could damage your pads trying to open them up to!!

Multitool?
    Tyre lever?
    How mechanically inept would you need to be to have this finish your ride?!

Taking your seatpost out to fit the bike in the car then leaving it in the living room (happened to my mate), now THAT finishes your ride before it has started :D
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • jed
    jed Posts: 21
    Multitool?
    Tyre lever?

Taking your seatpost out to fit the bike in the car then leaving it in the living room (happened to my mate), now THAT finishes your ride before it has started :D[/quote]

Yep thats pretty Inept i would say :shock:
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    jed wrote:
    Multitool?
    Tyre lever?

Taking your seatpost out to fit the bike in the car then leaving it in the living room (happened to my mate), now THAT finishes your ride before it has started :D

Yep thats pretty Inept i would say :shock:[/quote]

I was not amused!
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • hoathy
    hoathy Posts: 776
    i once got three grown adults into a mark 2 golf and three xc bikes with wheels. not to impressive, but the catch was the back seats were on-piece, so they were up, every time we went around a corner the front drop outs went into a guys crotch (fortunatly for him, this was after the ride).
    - Kona Hot '96 - Marin Rift Zone '09 - Cannondale Synapse Carbon '06 - Kona Caldera '98 - Kona AA '94 - Dawes Kickback II - Cannondale BadBoy '11 - Genesis iOiD SS -
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Hoathy wrote:
    every time we went around a corner the front drop outs went into a guys crotch (fortunatly for him, this was after the ride).

I bet he didn't feel very fortunate!

Anyway, all this is nothing, I once got an elephant into the back of a SmartCar, along with his four Kona Stinkys (one for each leg), my XC bike, 12 illegal immigrants and a kitchen sink.

Had to bungee cord the boot shut because the tusks wouldn't let it shut properly. I would have got pictures but the elephant was using the camera to take pics of the immigrants for facebook!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • MacAndCheese
    Stuey01 wrote:

One word. Maxle. :x
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • boogercj
    boogercj Posts: 316
    If we're talking bikes in small cars, I took mine up to QE Park in my Mini on Friday: Pic 'cos it did happen :lol: :

IMAGE_008-1.jpg

8)
  • Sorry, I don't get this...

Why do the breaks pads close together with the wheel off, they don't do that with the disc in situe so why do they when it's not and why don't they spring back out.