Burning a hole in my pocket

spongtastic
spongtastic Posts: 2,651
edited October 2009 in MTB general
I've got enough money to buy one of the new on one frames, either a Barry White not sliding drop or a Sterling Moss sliding drop.
The problem is I want to build a SS, but hate the green. Already planned DMR/819/DT rear and Gold Hope/819/DT front with gold anodized nips', gold anodized skewers/QR etc (proably not hope given the cost of the wheels) but am I just being a nugget by ruining the whole thing with a chain tensioner sitting on the back??
Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?

Comments

• bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    yes
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • Or dont have a tensioner and fit a half-link, that's how I did it on my SS before I sold it, it worked perfectly with vertical dropouts
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    half link works if you get lucky with chainstay length or mess around with ratios to get the chain tension right, but it's not really a final solution. edit/ Cheesy; How did you get on when the chain stretched in?

you need a way to tension the chain in an "analogue" way (ie, not in steps). A chain tensioner does this but is in the way of the chain. It's fine for conversions but if you're building a specifically SS bike, I'd not use a tensioner .. I'd get a frame made for the job.
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    Already running a Malt 1 as a SS, so aware of the chain issues (using an other doofer) more wondering whether it would look like a balls up.

Might go for a 1x9 instead with black RS7 or deus black and gold chainset.
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?