Winter Training?

holmeboy
holmeboy Posts: 674
Why all the post With winter training?

Comments

• Because the traditional Summer racing season is pretty much over, it's dark at nights, some race bike owners are paranoid about lights and guards on their carbon lovelies. So we tend to leg it into the shed with turbo trainers a cd of 95bpm music swiped from a passing street urchin and beat ourselves into a sweaty heap in the hope that we'll be lighter and a bit fitter when March comes around. My club runs a once a week turbo session so we feel we're almost human. Hi. I'm Neil and I do winter training. (Cue round of applause) I'll still ride all winter but the opportunities for long pleasant mid week rides post work are decreasing rapidly.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • I'll be Winter Riding, not as much as the last 2 years though. Still remember me and mate sliding off on the icy road 2 years ago, and coming off the lammermuirs with 90% of the road iced up last year still gives me shivers. Hope to get to the Gym a couple of days a week and go for a run twice a week as well as cycling to work on the Mountain bike. With getting out at the weekends for a few road miles. Throughout the Winter.
  • Barteos
    Barteos Posts: 657
    Because horrible things happen during extreme British winter, especially in the south...

Oil and grease freeze, wheels hardly spin, ice and mud is everywhere at the same time, flu gets you as soon as you clip in, the best lights are... not bright enough for winter darkness and even the best cycle jackets can't cope with extreme temperatures.
    Please, whatever you do, don't use your bike in winter. Turbo sessions are so much more interesting.

P.S. In case you're wondering, winter has started already. There's no one on my usual training route:)
  • When thingss get really bad there is always the week or two in the sun to look forward too. Like migrating birds, 10s of 1000s of cyclists can be found in Spain from Feb-April clocking up 500 miles or so while combating SAD syndrome.

I have a friend who lives in Sweden and from November until the end of February he will only cycle on a turbo in his garage as it's too cold and too dark and too icy to do anything else. When he arrives at the training camp he is like a baby foal trying to walk for the first time!
  • Edwin
    Edwin Posts: 785
    What Wooliefirkins says. Race season has just finished, and if you want to be any good next year, now is the time to think about a training plan (after the traditional 'off-season' rest, which normally involves staying off the bike for a few weeks and getting back into drinking).
    Personally I don't think I trained very effectively last winter, so I'm quite interested in these posts....