Very different commute - San Francisco ride

DevUK
DevUK Posts: 299
edited October 2009 in Commuting chat
Hey guys. I recently went on a 3 week holiday to the US and did a lot of traveling. I started in San Francisco, and on the second day my mate and I rented bikes and went off on a ride over the Golden Gate bridge! I thought I'd share a few pics :)

Riding along North Beach:

3903339928_68b20f6eb7.jpg

My mate posing:

3903340046_89eef19645.jpg

The bikes were pretty crap to be honest. Basic Marin hard tails. Mine had a woman's saddle which sucked! We spent 20 minutes adjusting the handlebars/brake & gear levers etc with a multi-tool before setting off :lol:

On the bridge:

3903340100_27b8b27f62.jpg

We rode into Sausalito, did touristy things and then carried on around Richardson Bay to catch the ferry back:

3902560851_f44eae786d.jpg

I think we did about 25 miles all in :) I managed to get sun burnt which sucked, but it set me up for the rest of the holiday :lol:
FCN Daily commute = 11
FCN Fixie commute = 5

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Excellent! 8)

How did you find riding across the Bridge itself? I thought it was a bit unnerving at times.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • I did this last January on a business trip. We halted at Sausalito though, and got the ferry back from there - an Israeli guy we were with was suffering quite badly after the eight or so miles we'd covered. Really is a great trip and I would recommend it to anyone.

Some decent speeds descending into Sausalito too, even on a MTB.
  • DevUK
    DevUK Posts: 299
    Yeah, it was amazing. Riding over the bridge was OK, until you you go to lean on the railing to take photos. Then it hits you! Had a few moments of fright :lol:
    FCN Daily commute = 11
    FCN Fixie commute = 5
  • It was damn windy, well it felt it at the time, but then I hadn't cycled for many years before that point. :lol: