Too heavy for a Roadie?

mattward1979
mattward1979 Posts: 692
edited October 2009 in Road beginners
Ok so I got my lovely new Spcialized Allez 2010 sport, and have ridden it for a few days relatively trouble free.

But today on my trip home from Uni, my rear tire sprung a leak... As you can imagine, pretty hacked off as its brand new!!

At 16.5 stone, am I just too heavy for a road bike? When i picked it up, I sat on it and the bike mechanic immedately went off to add 20 psi to each tire....

Will i be plagued by the P fairy due to the extra pressure on the tire/tube/rims?
exercise.png

Comments

• I was over 17st when i started riding a road bike and now 13st after a year, punctures happen at any time especially thistime of year when farmers are scattering thorns all over the road.

I have not had a puncture at all this year (cue phissssss noise on tomorrow mornings early training loop) but i do remember having thre in three rides before that.
    "BEER" Proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy
  • lfcquin
    lfcquin Posts: 470
    I think it is more likely that the tyres are not very good. I bought MRS LFCQUIN a Spesh Dolce last year and whatever tyres were on it (I can't remember) had loads of punctures. Things have been better since they were replaced.

Alternative is that it could just be luck. I had over 6 months without a P fairy visit, I buy a new set of wheels and had a visit on my first ride. Sometimes sh*t happens.
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    Keep the tyres at around 100psi to avoid the P*&$£%" Fairy as often as possible. :wink:
    Cycling weakly
  • Certainly hope its just bad luck! cant afford to replace the tires right now..

Ill get a new inner tomorrow and try again.. just hope the gash in the tire isnt fatal..
    exercise.png
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    Certainly hope its just bad luck! cant afford to replace the tires right now..

Ill get a new inner tomorrow and try again.. just hope the gash in the tire isnt fatal..

the standard tyres on most (sub £800ish) bikes isn't great to be honest - and you will notice a difference with better tyres

best money you can spend though is £12 on a trackpump from tesco - this will allow you ti get your tyres up to 100-120psi and keep them there by checking them often. This will help you avoid punctures as well as make the bike run much faster.
  • brownbosh
    brownbosh Posts: 602
    Definately not too heavy. I was 20 stone 2 years ago and started riding. Down to 15 now but could more than keep up and scored plenty of racing points as a big boy!
  • brownbosh wrote:
    Definately not too heavy. I was 20 stone 2 years ago and started riding. Down to 15 now but could more than keep up and scored plenty of racing points as a big boy!

fair enough =)

Ok ill look at tires.... what would you reccomend as an upgrade from the standards on the Spesh allez?
    exercise.png
  • brownbosh
    For the winter i use 700x23 continental ultra gator skins. Depending on what width you are using now you may prefer 700x25. Others will all recommend their own favourites for the season. I race on Continental GP4000S black chilli.
  • brownbosh
    Plus i ride at 120 psi all year round at my weight i still get plenty of contact, less punctures, im used to the feel and no pinch punctures.
  • hmm looking at those Gatorskins, they look damn fine...

As im a skint student (Student loan went on the bike =P ) Is there any pitfalls/dangers of running a better tire on the rear, and the standard on the front?
    Just until I can afford to upgrade the front...

PS, I currently have Specialized Mondo Sport, 700x23c

are they really that bad?
    exercise.png
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    Just get out and ride matt, your weight will fall dramatically when you start increasing your distance!
  • brownbosh
    Personally i dont see much difference in frequency of rear and front punctures so i dont think changing one tyre would be productive. As a student you can save a bit of cash by repairing tubes(i bin any that have punctured). I would say though that sticking with poor quality tyres is false economy with a decent tube coming in at £4.50. Gatorskins can be found for £15 each with a bit of searching.
  • Headed to my local Halfords today to get a new Track pump that can handle 120psi, and noticed that they had an empty space where Gatorskins should have been.. £14.99 each!

Ive asked them to order me some so a week or so and I can change from the standard Mondo's that I have.

Ah well, tube replaced. 120psi back, 110psi front, and everything feels lovely again =)
    exercise.png
  • ian_s
    ian_s Posts: 183
    Are you sure that is not the price for the Ultrasport? Halfords.com comes up at 24.99 for the Gatorskins..
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    You don't need to change the inner every flat you know, i used to but then after repairing a puncture on a ride and not having any problems since have decided not to chuck more money away on inners. :)
  • carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    I'm same weight 16 stone and have specialized roubaix with some really thick tyres on- think they're roubaix tyres with flak jacket puncture proof layer

Never had a single problem with loose spokes, punctures or anything

Of course tomorrow both hubs will collapse and the wheels will fall off, but up to now no probs

Stop worrying about your weight and get out and ride!!
  • How about Michelin Krylion 25mm tyres.

Currently available from ChainReaction at £19.99.

Nice and comfy with good puncture protection.

:idea: :idea: :idea:
  • .;