Do you slow down in cool damp autumn\winter ?

kingrollo
kingrollo Posts: 3,198
edited October 2009 in Road beginners
Since the weather got cooler and damper this week, my avaerage speed on my commutte has gone quite dramitically - Ive been wondering why this could be:-

As an asmatic - is breathing the cooler\damper air not so good for my breathing

Or slight 'don't fancy this' few pedal strokes in the cold - brr effect

Do my miscles warm up quicker in the warmer weather...

Any other theories\thoughts

Comments

• STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    It felt as though i was going quicker in the tipping rain yesterday morning, in actuality i was slower to the point where i was nearly 10 minutes slower over 11 miles :? Traffic was very busy though......(excuses,excuses :wink: )
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I'm faster in the cold, but then I used to row so i'm conditioned for it.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Cold air is denser, and more of your energy goes into overcoming air resistance. I notice car fuel consumption increases in the winter too.

All your suggestions probably apply too, so the cumulative effect is really noticeable.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I'm always slower on wet roads.
    More problems but still living....
  • I find that i'm slower in the winter but that's because I do base training mainly and not on the summer bike also not as enthusiastic
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    I also find when its damp/wet that I have to go slower as its too risky increasing chances of coming off.
  • Moaner
    Moaner Posts: 117
    I'm slower when it's dark.
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    In the cold weather your body is converting some of your energy into heat, so there is less available to produce power.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Just slow down on corners..that's it.....FSA........... (Full Speed Ahead)
  • Airwave
    Airwave Posts: 483
    By January i'll be riding around 1-3mph slower than i am now.It's down to wearing more layers than during summer.Also whats the point in racing around when there's no TT's or races to train for.One of the good things about the cold is it's always nice to get indoors for a cuppa after a long ride. :lol:
  • I got caught in a freak shower this summer, was a glorious morning by the time im geared and ready to go, there are a few clouds, needless to say it was still hot and sunny. about 8miles from starting it just started spitting and then the heavens opened. on that normal ride i would average around 17-20mph depending on wind etc. But i average around 23mph i go alot faster in the cold. In a desperate atempt to stay warmer i try alot harder, maybe.
    “If you worried about falling off the bike, you’d never get on.”

@mattbeedham
  • Nick6891
    Nick6891 Posts: 274
    i do about 50miles less per tank of fuel in car in winter

and when im riding im about 5mins slower over 9mile commute

think its just muscles tiring with cold weather and if you keep them warm then you have more layers on adding abit of weight.