Push Chairs on Cycle Tracks

labarum
labarum Posts: 110
edited October 2009 in Campaign
I have just moved to Southampton and enjoying a bit of exploration. I live just round the corner from the Common, which is beautiful. I have also found the Riverside Park which has a footpath and separate cycletrack that runs along the river.

Pedestrians and even mothers with push chairs mindlessly populate the cycle track end though it is clearly marked. I tackled one this afternoon.

"Do you know you are on the cycle track?"

"Yes, But I don't like the footpath. A friend of mine lost a [pushchair] wheel and nearly fell in the river."

"I am sorry for that" I said, "but it is the cyletrack."

I move off, and she shouts after me

"Well bully for you."

I may be a grumpy old man, but I will continue to give these mothers grief.

I a cyclist knocked her and her twins on a pavement I would be on here side - but she was in the wrong here. I was cycling quite slowly, but she had just been passed by a young lady on a racer doing 20mph.

What do you do with them?

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Wait until she is pushing the perambulator whilst on a mobile phone :shock:. Worse than a car on a mobile
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    pedestrians are allowed to use cycle paths and indeed have priority over you
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • labarum
    spen666 wrote:

Even when there are parallel tracks separated by a curb and one marked for cyclists?
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Labarum wrote:
    spen666 wrote:

Even when there are parallel tracks separated by a curb and one marked for cyclists?

Yes
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • labarum
    OK

Not like German law then!

I don't challenge you, but can you show me where all these regulations are?

It is a minefield.
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    Labarum wrote:
    OK

Not like German law then!

I don't challenge you, but can you show me where all these regulations are?

It is a minefield.

Rule 62 infers that we have a duty of care here.

I know this cyclepath well and tbh you will find pedestrians quite snotty with cyclists. It just seems to be the area. A lot of people simply wont use that path either as you're not legally supposed to ride down the ramp at the bridge end; the pedestrians, dogs and children tend to get in the way (you have to expect this - it is a park and there is a play area half way along); there is also a 6mph limit iirc (a tiny bit faster than walking, on the common its 10mph - jogging speed)
  • labarum
    downfader wrote:
    [I know this cyclepath well and tbh you will find pedestrians quite snotty with cyclists.

Yes, I had worked that out! Yesterday a pedestrian told me I should not be cycling on the road - she was wired up with earphones and a liability to herself and everyone else.

About ten days ago I moved into a flat at the Avenue end of Northlands Road, so the Common is just round the corner - very nice. I have seen the police talking to youngsters on bikes on the Common - presumably for cycling too fast.

Like most towns I am finding the most amazing cycle track configurations - don't the men with yellow paint ask us before they slosh it around?

Are there any good webpages for Southampton Cyclists?
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    Labarum wrote:
    downfader wrote:
    [I know this cyclepath well and tbh you will find pedestrians quite snotty with cyclists.

Yes, I had worked that out! Yesterday a pedestrian told me I should not be cycling on the road - she was wired up with earphones and a liability to herself and everyone else.

About ten days ago I moved into a flat at the Avenue end of Northlands Road, so the Common is just round the corner - very nice. I have seen the police talking to youngsters on bikes on the Common - presumably for cycling too fast.

Like most towns I am finding the most amazing cycle track configurations - don't the men with yellow paint ask us before they slosh it around?

Are there any good webpages for Southampton Cyclists?

There was a map of facilities on the www.southampton.gov.uk website. There is also a Cycling Officer whose email is on the site, he can often provide info on places to park, where the offroad routes are etc. You can use the actionline page on there to report potholes, broken pavements, deisel spills etc (back it up by using the CTC fillthathole site too)

Counciller Matt Dean (Shirley area iirc) also cycles, he has a blog and has commented on cycling issues in the local papers and his blog iirc. Seems like a nice bloke even though he's a Tory. :wink::lol:

Ref the Police on the Common. Yep its a bit of a problem. They go tearing down under the underpass at such a speed and one or two people have nearly been clipped. Plus this time of year you cant stop at speed due to the autumn leaves and nuts/seeds :lol:
  • Labarum wrote:
    I have just moved to Southampton and enjoying a bit of exploration. I live just round the corner from the Common, which is beautiful. I have also found the Riverside Park which has a footpath and separate cycletrack that runs along the river.

Pedestrians and even mothers with push chairs mindlessly populate the cycle track end though it is clearly marked. I tackled one this afternoon.

"Do you know you are on the cycle track?"

"Yes, But I don't like the footpath. A friend of mine lost a [pushchair] wheel and nearly fell in the river."

"I am sorry for that" I said, "but it is the cyletrack."

I move off, and she shouts after me

"Well bully for you."

I may be a grumpy old man, but I will continue to give these mothers grief.

I a cyclist knocked her and her twins on a pavement I would be on here side - but she was in the wrong here. I was cycling quite slowly, but she had just been passed by a young lady on a racer doing 20mph.

What do you do with them?

Be a bit gracious, for starters. There are far bigger problems for cyclists out there
    to campaign for , rather than yelling at mums pushing prams. A bit weak.
  • bobpzero
    bobpzero Posts: 1,431
    just pedal slowly and then freewheel a bit and give them the emotionless look (preferably have sunglasses on for blinding sunlight), then you can ride by because its not worth ruining your riding getting all worked up.
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Bloody push chairs- don't pay cycle lane tax, no insurance, no licence. They should be taxed like us cyclists and have to take a test etc etc etc etc
  • bobpzero
    bobpzero Posts: 1,431
    or you could go with that. and R plates fully visible for 2yrs, if found wandering into cycle paths and rivers will have to re-take test again.