food an performance

Stumpjumper25
Stumpjumper25 Posts: 156
edited October 2009 in Women
Hi,
I was wondering what food other ladies eat before a ride?.
The reason why i ask is i find i perform better in the morning an after eating more protien than carbs. As carbs make me feel heavy some times bloated. Anyway---
On sunday after a good cooked breakfast i found that i kept up with the guy's on the climbs, where i am normaly at the half way when they are at the top,And i kept a good pace.
Yet yesterday i had cereal & yogurt for breakfast, then a sandwich for lunch. Went out with mate around 2pm an felt crap struggled up a couple of the hills, my pace had dropped a bit.
I know it was maybe because i had'nt eaten enough.
Have any of you noticed the differance on performance after you've eat certain foods?.

Comments

• MrsMoo
    MrsMoo Posts: 22
    Hi Stumpjumper.
    Yep I think food definately has an impact on performance. I've only been into mtbing for 3 months now so have a lot to learn and am trying to get fitter, but have noticed that I what eat the day before a ride makes a difference... I find that if i've eaten loads of junk food the day before, then i usually feel less energetic and tire more the next day, but if i eat well the day before then i have a bit more energy. But I guess a good breakfast also helps too, trouble is i'm rubbish at eating breakfast as don't usually feel very hungry early on, so haven't figured out what I can eat yet that I can stomach and will be good for me. I love a full english breakfast but couldn't face cooking/eating one early in the morning! Usually just end up forcing myself to eat some malt loaf and a banana which i guess is better than nothing.

Any tips from anyone on good stuff to eat would be appreciated !
  • Hey guys,

have a read of the mountain biking diets thread... might help a bit :)

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12631060
  • Hi

yes i am at my best 1-2 hours after eating high protein foods! also feel great afterwards especially if followed by protein snack 1 hour after finished any sport not just mtb. There is science involved in this but can't explain that sorry! its great you kept up with the guys... :)
  • Hi All,
    Thanks for the replies, well it seems that protein is the way. Yes there is science involved but like you Hearndenemma i can't explain. :?

Since i've been taking thyroine i have to wait 30 mins to a hr before i can eat anything. So by the time i've waited i'm ready for food lol. I've never been a big potato,pasta,rice,bread fan i can go for wks without touching bread.

I do use protein recovery shakes after any sort of training.
    I'm just getting into jogging, no good at it at the min but am hoping it will help :).
  • Mrs Toast
    Mrs Toast Posts: 636
    I did read that carb-loading isn't as useful for woman as it is for men, and that we process energy from sugar more efficiently than men. So I have a large quantity of cake and chocolate before a ride. And during the ride. Post recovery, I favour cake and biscuits. :lol:
  • If i was to eat cake an chocolate i'd be to big to get onto me bike :lol:
  • MrsMoo
    MrsMoo Posts: 22
    Mrs Toast wrote:
    I did read that carb-loading isn't as useful for woman as it is for men, and that we process energy from sugar more efficiently than men. So I have a large quantity of cake and chocolate before a ride. And during the ride. Post recovery, I favour cake and biscuits. :lol:

mmmmm liking the approach Mrs Toast... chocolate, cake & biscuits :D Sounds good ha ha
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    MrsMoo wrote:
    Mrs Toast wrote:

mmmmm liking the approach Mrs Toast... chocolate, cake & biscuits :D Sounds good ha ha

Yup - I like this logic too :lol:
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I always feel flaky after a few hours if I'm doing a big ride, but haven't fueled up the day before on pasta, or some other carb-rich food.
  • You're right, women don't process carbs the way men do so actually carb-loading for women is pretty pointless...

Couldn't help but reply to this thread as I have fuelling issues on a regular basis and it's taken me 6 months to sort it out! I'm an ex-footballer and always found i needed to eat at half-time just to get through 45 minutes of intense running, but struggled to eat anything too heavy pre-match... However with cycling i seem to be different as i guess there's less 'jiggling' of the stomach area?

Anyway, i've finally discovered that protein is 100% the way forward for me - carbs leave me feeling bloated and then I'm hungry again an hour into the ride. But the other week i had a big pile of scrambled egg on wholemeal toast with baked beans, and i was flying! Sugar helps too though and I had Haribo for along the ride as i found i still needed the odd sugar boost.

I seem to burn through food very quickly so carbs are blddy useless whereas protein supplemented by sweets seems to work.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    There is plenty of carbs in that meal too though!