Do my shoes fit?!

therichieboy
therichieboy Posts: 58
edited October 2009 in Road beginners
Hi,
Sorry- sure this has been covered but my searches were fruitless.

I've just bought a pair of DHB shoes for my Shimano 105 SPD pedals.

The first pair I got seemed very tight. I didn't test them cleated up and in the pedals as I wanted to keep them unused for return but they didn't feel right.

I sent them back and got the next size up. Comfortable fit but I have a lot of wiggle in my toe and there's quite a bit of up/ down foot movement as I pedal particularly with thin socks.

What I'd like to know is whether you chaps out there think that's enough of a problem for me to favour the smaller and fractionally too tight ones.

Cheers.

Comments

• If you have up and down movement, you'll end up rubbing the skin and get blisters - have you got the straps tight enough?

I wouldn't go with the smaller ones though - your feet will swell as they get hot so the shoes will get even tighter. Maybe the bigger ones will be better once you warm up.

Shoes are like helmets - some brands will fit better than others, depending on foot shape. Sidi make superb shoes, but they are too narrow for me if I get the correct size lengthwise. Similarly the shoes I tend to buy (DMT or Northwave) will be too wide for someone who has narrow feet.

Sounds like DHB's just don't suit your feet - before you send the bigger pair back, try different ones out at your LBS to see if anything suits better. You'll know when you get the right shoe. Given that it's one of the three contact points on a bike, don't skimp on shoes - if they don't fit, they're no good - regardless of whether they're a bargain or not.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • Yeah. Sort of defeats the whole purpose if they're loose. I haven't yet gone on a long ride to test swelling etc. Problem is once I do I can kiss goodbye to returning them- that's the problem with buying online. I might have a go at the straps but I'm still duboius.
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    The last thing you need is shoes that are too tight. I'm not familiar with those particular shoes (it's years since I bought a new pair) but I assume they have either Velcro or those wind up things that sound like a clockwork motor. You should be able to tighten them up enough and you can always wear thicker socks. Obviously too loose can be embarrassing if it makes releasing from the pedals difficult.

Shoes are one of the items I avoid buying mail order simply because of the problems you're having. I like to try them on before buying and that means going to a shop. Helmets is another 'in person' purchase for me.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • You need to try some others to compare - especially if it's the first time you've bought cycle shoes (apologies if my assumption is wrong). Seriously - you will know when you find a shoe that fits, it's like a Cindarella moment. :wink:
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • No, you're right. These are my first- that was a well educated guess! The cinderella moment has not happened!
  • Do a tour of all your LBSs on Saturday and see what they got. Shimano seem 1 size smaller than everyone else, but as my feet are different sizes I didn't find a pair that fitted both feet. Sidis seem to fit my feet perfectly (I've v narrow feet), but they don't fit my pocket! The Mavics I tried didn't feel right, and Specialized turned out to be the best option.

IMHO, shoes are the one piece of gear that will make the single biggest difference to your riding, so don't skimp. Once I went from trainers to clipless I was riding 5mph faster straight away so it's def worth taking the time (and money) to get it right.
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    You could try slipping-in a pair of insoles to reduce the amount of slack?
    Cycling weakly
  • sods_law
    sods_law Posts: 161
    skyd0g wrote:

+1, was going to be my suggestion...
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    skyd0g wrote:

Problem with cycling shoes, if there's any ventilation holes in the sole, you've just blocked them. Also when they get wet (through sweat or rain), they will hold the water rather than dry out. It's compromising on a pice of kit that shouldn't be a compromise.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I've got a pair of DHB shoes, they were very tight when I first got them and if I tightened the velcro right up, they would literally cut the blood supply off! I soon learned to keep the straps a bit looser and they felt more comfortable and have now worn in a bit so they fit quite nicely.

I've also got a pair of Pearl Izumi shoes which are a bit too big and I think I prefer a slightly tighter fit overall, it's not good to have your feet slopping about in your cycling shoes.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • I've been cycling with the 1 size up shoes. I've tightened the strap above my toe knuckles and there's not too much movement. I can still wiggle my toes a hell of a lot but that doesn't seem to affect power transfer much as far as I can tell.
    How does that sound to everyone?

ps I like the insole idea. I could cut holes over the vents...
  • Mothyman
    Mothyman Posts: 655
    add a slightly thicker pair of socks and sounds like you'll be fine...
  • FOAD
    FOAD Posts: 318
    If there's loads of room to wiggle your toes but there's not much movement in the shoe on the foot, especially when you pull up with your feet while pedalling, I thank you have got it right.

I wear my shoes to the point of feeling loose on the bottom to straps, it's the only way I can stop getting "hot feet", and it doesn't affect me much at all, though I am sure some of the "pro's" on here will disagree.
  • hodsgod
    hodsgod Posts: 226
    I think you have no choice but go with the larger size, in my experience after 15 mins of too small your toes will go cold and feel terrible.
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    Your toes should have a little room to move - there's not much worse than a couple of hours in stiff shoes with your toes being smashed.

The most important aspect of a cycling shoe (especially with clipless pedals) is the fit at the heel and the first strap - this should be snug so that your foot doesn't move.

Doesn't matter if you can wiggle your toes around as long as your foot can slide forwards in the shoe - and it's the strap nearest your ankle that will be the most important part for preventing that.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.