How to shorten shimano HG chain

sugarbeet
sugarbeet Posts: 39
edited October 2009 in Workshop
I've just come to fit the new chain to the road bike I'm building for my wife. And...I realise I don't know how to physically cut/remove links from the chain. Quite a few need to go as it's a really small frame.

This chain is a Shimano HG53 (9Spd chain)

It has a single black connecting pin on one special link - allowing me to split/join the chain with a stnd chain tool. How and where do I take links out to shorten it? (It doesn't look like I can force pins out of the other links as the ends look swagged).

Can attach a photo (if that would help) if someone gives me the magic runes for embedding one in a post. Any/all advice gratefully received. Thanks...
Cylon cats - have no plan

Comments

• kennycl
    kennycl Posts: 28
    Assuming it's like my HG chains, just drive out one of the normal pins(other side to teh joining pin) to make it the right length, then join it together with the special joining pin. Once you've used the joining pin don't remove it, if you ever need to break the chain again, remove another normal pin. I tend to use a SRAM powerlink rather than the joining pin.

Kenny
  • Zendog1
    Zendog1 Posts: 816
    You need one of these http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/LifeL ... 360026441/

(illustration only)

Lots of other brands and costs about.
  • as above, i use a powerlink and and recommend you do too sram or kmc

u only really get one go on the shimano joining pin so make sure it goes in straight and doesnt bend the other side of the link
    Crafted in Italy apparantly
  • ok - thanks. My main doubt was it just didn't look like I could driver the normal pins out.

Off to my shed to have a bash!

Will also order one of those KMC links as they do seem a better idea.
    Cylon cats - have no plan
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I recently split my 105 chain to insert a KMC missing link. My god it was a struggle. Driving out the pin seemed to shear off a little collar of metal as it pushed through the outer plate, which probably explains why it took so muck force I bent the chain tool.

Still, the next chain removal will be easier!
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    keef66 wrote:
    I recently split my 105 chain to insert a KMC missing link. My god it was a struggle. Driving out the pin seemed to shear off a little collar of metal as it pushed through the outer plate, which probably explains why it took so muck force I bent the chain tool.

Still, the next chain removal will be easier!

I wondered what the collar of metal was, just when I cut abit of chain off this new one it did the same thing, too huge amounts of force to push the pin through, and wondered what this little loop of metal around the pin on the chain tool was O_o
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    The pins are swaged at the ends. When you drive the pin out this swaging breaks off. This is why it is a bad idea to join chains by pushing the pin back in.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
  • John.T
    That is a 1/8" chain which is fine to rejoin that way. Just look how far the pins go through. I would not recomend doing it with anything narrower than an 8sp one and then only as a get you home measure. 10sp id definately a non starter.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    and your point is .... ?
  • John.T
    Join chains with the proper links or pins only.
  • There are several steps to shortening a bicycle chain without a chain tool: To shorten the link position the chain on the socket and hammer it. Remove the links one after the other until you reach the desired chain length, take a screwdriver to push the links together, put the entire chain back on the bike. Make sure that the chain is not too tight to avoid discomfort while riding, and oil and lubricate the chain to increase the smoothness and operation of the chain. The number of links you will remove should be enough to keep your bike chain tight while keeping a smooth and easy ride.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120

There are several steps to shortening a bicycle chain without a chain tool: To shorten the link position the chain on the socket and hammer it. Remove the links one after the other until you reach the desired chain length, take a screwdriver to push the links together, put the entire chain back on the bike. Make sure that the chain is not too tight to avoid discomfort while riding, and oil and lubricate the chain to increase the smoothness and operation of the chain. The number of links you will remove should be enough to keep your bike chain tight while keeping a smooth and easy ride.

I would ignore such a blatantly crap, bodge job of a post if I were you.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,596
    edited July 2021
    There are ways to do a botch job to get you home.
    Then there is the proper* way. Use a proper chain splitter and a quick link.

*You could also peen the chain together but that means extra tools and effort.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993
    edited July 2021

There are several steps to shortening a bicycle chain without a chain tool: To shorten the link position the chain on the socket and hammer it. Remove the links one after the other until you reach the desired chain length, take a screwdriver to push the links together, put the entire chain back on the bike. Make sure that the chain is not too tight to avoid discomfort while riding, and oil and lubricate the chain to increase the smoothness and operation of the chain. The number of links you will remove should be enough to keep your bike chain tight while keeping a smooth and easy ride.

This is bollx

Edit: it looks like the ‘style’ of a slow cadence Bianchi/Decatholon enthusiast.
  • Munsford0
    Munsford0 Posts: 606
    You lot realise that the bollox first-time poster was responding to a thread from 2009??
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

wtaf is this?
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,596
    Munsford0 said:

You lot realise that the bollox first-time poster was responding to a thread from 2009??

🤣🤣🤣😱🤣🤣🤣
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Munsford0 said:

doesn't matter - if you leave his tosh up there people may read and think it's actually something worth trying.

But yes, we too did look at the date of the pst like you did.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993
    Munsford0 said:

:#
  • daltonbourne07jrS36RCG
    edited July 2021
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Why bother to post again every body thought you were talking cr@p last time.