Brompton World Championships

redvee
redvee Posts: 11,922
edited October 2009 in Road general
Blenheim Palace 28/09/08, racing on a folding bike :?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/main. ... kes112.xml

A 60+ year old friend of mine is taking part along with some friends of his from a spanish cycling team. Hopefully there will be coverage on Bike Radar hint, hint.
I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.

Comments

• rampax
    rampax Posts: 139
    Yeah, I reckon it will be a good laugh - I signed up yesterday!
    Blenhiem Palace is supposed to be amazing.
    Never thought I would get to be in a world championship bike race!
    Need to find a comedy suit now.
    The A6 Hazel Grove - "Always the worst part of any ride".
  • pete.whelan
    pete.whelan Posts: 788
    don't Foska or Northwave do a cycle shirt that looks like a Tux , complete with bow tie
    Recipe: shave legs sparingly, rub in embrocation and drizzle with freshly squeezed baby oil.
  • AndyGates
    AndyGates Posts: 8,467
    I just rode the Dunwich Dynamo on my new Brompton. This sounds like a great laugh :)
    Wanted: Penny farthing. Please PM me!
    Advice for kilted riders: top-tubes are cold.
  • ris
    ris Posts: 392
    there was a folders race at smithfeild last month, le mans start, unfold bike and 5 laps, in business suits. mad as march hares, the lot of them.

i saw the northwave tux shirt in evans last week.
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    I was in the Nocturne folding race (didn't get through my heat, in part due to chain drop). Great fun nonetheless. I have to have a spot of tongue-in-cheek indignation at non-Bromptons being excluded from Blenheim.... competition's too quick for them obviously... :) I could of course take part in the open riding sessions there. Another folding race at the Salford Nocturne on 30 August, more Nocturnes planned for next year, so plenty of opportunities for the rest of us to have some fun.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • 3rd Brompton World Championship was great fun, never expected to be wearing a suit on a fold up bike for my first bike race :D I'll have give it a go in lycra on my road bike too.

Haven't found out my results yet. Anyone else take part?
  • dm2
    dm2 Posts: 1
    I was there -

I can tell you you weren't 200th because I was

They did have the results printed out at the Info tent about an hour after the finish
  • yer great day out...

still haven;t seen the results to see if i beat my best friend - did they say they would post up the results on the web?

some pictures:

http://s155.photobucket.com/albums/s311/rootes/BWC2008/

Si
  • I really enjoyed watching the Brompton race, people certainly seemed to be enjoying it.

Some more photos of the action here:
    http://cyclinginfo.co.uk/blog/bikes/bro ... ps-photos/
  • loads of pics from the official bods here:

http://sportivephoto.thirdlight.com/vie ... mid=175920
  • rampax
    I had a great time at The Brompton World Champs on sunday.
    The weather was great, loads of freindly people.
    Some amazing outfits.
    And very competetive racing!

I started out too fast on the opening lap, and had a bad stitch by the end of the lap.
    On the second lap, I got overtaken by loads of people.
    I couldnt believe how fast some people were going.
    There was a team of guys, I think they were spanish, that were really tanking it through the field.
    The course was much more undulating than I was expecting it to be, but it was still a great circuit.

Dont know where I finished yet, so if anyone knows where the results get posted, let me know.
  • anyone got a copy of the results they could postup?

still dont know who was quickest out of my best mate and I - all we know is that is was close!
  • results are now on:

http://www.brompton.co.uk/bwc/index.asp

i came 42nd!
  • I came 95th :D

Time was 27.00 minutes, same as the chap in 94th place, but he had a faster first lap.

Alastair Kay the winner did it in 21.59 minutes :shock:
  • rampax
    I came 143rd.
    I noticed that a lot of people were wearing taylored suits, with matching 3/4 length "plusses", and long socks joining up to the plusses.

Where do you buy suits with "pluss style" kecks?, or are they specially made?
  • SteveOC
    SteveOC Posts: 11
    SteveOC wrote:
    I came 95th :D

Time was 27.00 minutes, same as the chap in 94th place, but he had a faster first lap.

Alastair Kay the winner did it in 21.59 minutes :shock:
    Can I do better this year?

Trying to remember if the six pints I had the night before was a help or hinderance :?

Think i'll have seven pints tomorrow night to find out :D
  • When are the results posted on the brompton website.....want to know my offital time!

:)
    "If we all had hardtails we'd all go down the hill, just slower"
    Nick Larsen

Voodoo D-Jab Ti
    Boardman Road Team 09
    Boardman Urban Team 08
    Falcon 3 Speed
  • Rach E
    Rach E Posts: 110
    I want to know as well...I came 2nd female yesterday (why did Ms. Shaw have to turn up? I wanted that brompton :cry: ) but still don't know my time. I killed myself more in the race yesterday than in any other event I've done all year...! Had a fabulous day - brilliant, brilliant fun.
    World Brompton Champion 2010; new to time trialling in 2011.
  • SteveOC
    Well done Rach E :D

Still can't find any results yet but you can check out some official photos at http://www.philoconnor.com/ look up the BWC and put in your race number.

Didn't feel like I did as well this year, started way too hard and didn't have much left at the end. Only had a five pint hangover too :roll:

Hope the girl who fell off is OK.

Why were we told to put the race chip on the chain side of the rear triangle?, it interferred with the fold (front fork hook).
  • Hey all, I also joined in! The brompton ladies put my chip on the other side, so mine still folded fine- and I've also been waiting for the results! Apparently they put them up at Blenheim about 5pm- we left about 4:30 so didn't see them but a friend told me I was about 35 mins, which is good enough for me, specially as I started in the 40mins plus catagory!

Overall I really enjoyed the day, though I *didn't* particularly enjoy getting cold waiting in line for over 30 mins for a luke warm cup of tea :-S

Next year sub-30 mins here I come......
    ~I like to bike~
  • I was in the junior category and want to know how far behind the fastest junior. My dad timed me at 26 minutes 40 seconds. Well done Rach E, Juila Shaw started next to me when we had to run to our bikes, she was wearing aero shoe covers!!
    Nick Larsen

Voodoo D-Jab Ti
    Boardman Road Team 09
    Boardman Urban Team 08
    Falcon 3 Speed
  • The results are up: http://clients.squareeye.com/uploads/brompton/BWC%20Individual%20Category%20Results%202009.pdf

I came second in my category as well!! Damn only having the one fastest to win and get on the podium :(

My time 26:25

Rach E, well done for you time!!
    Nick Larsen

Voodoo D-Jab Ti
    Boardman Road Team 09
    Boardman Urban Team 08
    Falcon 3 Speed
  • sashmo
    sashmo Posts: 113
    I was at this too - it was great fun.

Well done 2tired - I agree with you that there should be a top 3 for all the categories. You should have been on the podium.

My time was 25.51 which I am very pleased with as it was my first cycle race ever and I had only done about 50 miles on the bike since I got off crutches after breaking a bone in my foot in August. I came in just behind RachE - hats off to her for such a great time.

Can't wait for next year.
  • SteveOC
    :o I did do better than last year :D

Time was 0:26:00 and got 63rd place, one minute faster and up 32 places on last year!

Looks like I went a minute faster for that one less pint the night before. I could do it sober and win next year :P