Ideal beginners bike

mlbaker
mlbaker Posts: 77
edited October 2009 in Road beginners
Hello,

I am considering getting a road bike and wonder if anyone has any recommendation's for about £500. Depending on finance I could increase that budget but as I'm predominately a mountain biker I'd rather keep it cheaper.

One bike that has caught my eye is a 2010 Specialized Allez 16 @ £499.

Cheers for any suggestions.

Comments

• speedo
    speedo Posts: 115
    Go for a TREK 1.2 - GREAT BIKE - WITHIN YOUR BUDGET - YPU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED
    MAKE SURE YOU GO TO A LOCAL DEALER FOR THE BEST DEAL
  • jontymo
    jontymo Posts: 127
    I've just managed to find a Trek 1.2 09 model, picked up from liesure lakes for £530

Just a thought their is a Giant Defy 3 on the classifieds as good as new.
    I was going to go for it but found the trek new instead.
  • JSL
    JSL Posts: 17
    Why is it that Trek bikes cannot be delivered by any bike shop? (only shop to shop deliveries but no on eis doing home delivery yet other bikes can be!?)

I too am still looking for a decent 500 mark bike. If you are interested I found ashcycles.co.uk had a Raleigh Airlite 400 on offer and I understand it got some good reviews.
  • jontymo
    jontymo Posts: 127
    Trek only want the bikes to be sold at shop level to stop the internet bargaining that started a few years back, basically everyone who sells treks has to sell at the same price!
  • speedo
    speedo Posts: 115
    Try this web site ,it was posted to me via a British cyling coach.
    Mine has been set up to this,and it is fine

www.coloradocyclist.com-bikefit#inseam-b
  • I have the Sport version of the biek your looking at.

the only major difference is 2 gears and Sora/Tiagra over the 2300 setup.

I have to say that Im having SO much fun on my Spesh.. not only do you get some really appreciative looks becuase lets face it, they are sex on wheels, but also im putting on a hell of alot more speed over my MTB.

Im biased though... Its my first roadie and I dont really have impartial experience to reference.
    exercise.png
  • Have you seen this?

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12577960

For what it's worth, I have the Spesh Allez '09 18 and I love it. I doubt there's a huge difference between the major brands at this level, best just try a few - get the right bike for you. If you haven't ridden a road bike before (or recently) they'll all feel light / scary/ exciting / akward / fast and very responsive.

Good luck!

:D
  • bikerZA
    bikerZA Posts: 314
    The Trek is a nice option, but I think at entry level there isn't going to be a huge difference between the Trek and the Specialized..