It's a bit bloody heavy... Specialized hardrock sport disc

weeksy59
weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
edited October 2009 in MTB general
Was out on the trails yesterday and had to lift bikes over a gate. Was VERY suprised my Specialized was so damn heavy compared to my mates Cube AMS100.

What is it on the Spc that makes it so heavy ?

I've got different forks on it from stock, Rockshox reba. Standard apart from that.

I'm also running carbon bars but doubt they'd make a huge difference really.

Comments

• rudedog
    rudedog Posts: 523
    edited October 2009
    could be frame, wheels/tyres, driver train
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    The hardrock didn't get the nickname lardrock for nothing ;)

saddle, wheels, tyres, stem, drivetrain, it all adds up a, few oz here & there and bingo a heavier bike than you expected.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • tompug
    tompug Posts: 227
    My brother has stripped his old hardrock down for a temporary jump frame while his new GT frame is sprayed. It's a weighty old beast, along with the crankset.
    Despsite the weight his hardrock took alot of punishment, good to ride on a trail and a great intro bike for newbies.
  • weeksy59
    I'm very happy with the bike in general. I throw it over anything and everything and it doesn't care, doesn't miss a beat.

Is there a list of components and average sort of weights ?

e,g If my wheels can be lightened by 50% for £100 then maybe that's a plan.

or the Crankset by 25% could make a bigger difference ?

I'm lucky in some ways that the boys i ride with are not really up to my climbing speed anyway... but the time may arrive where they're pushing me harder on the hills and i need something more (or less if you know what i mean)

So, assuming the frame is the heaviest part. Also assume it's the most expensive part so can't be replaced.

What's next and what can i make the best gains/improvements on?
  • starseven
    starseven Posts: 112
    Hardrock frames are built to withstand some use and abuse, having said that the 2009 frame is considerably lighter than previous years.

i think your on the right track with wheels and the cranks, some mavic crossrides (or maybe hanbuilts)with folding tyres and an slx chainset will usually save a pound or two. Specialized nearly always fit the cheapest chain and casstte they can so an upgrade there may be worthwhile as well.

A pre 2009 hardrock is always gonna be a bit burly though, thats the type of bike it is.
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    my dad has one i assume its the one with oversize tubing and marzocchi mz forks cos it was forged thousends of years ago deep underground from granite and dark matter :)
    i'm trying to get him to upgrade to something a bit newer so he can keep up a bit better

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    edited October 2009
    weeksy59 wrote:
    Is there a list of components and average sort of weights ?
    A light bike is made from light components. MBA dismantled a Procaliber a while back and the rear wheel was the single heaviest item on the bike:
    Rear wheel: 2.0 kg
    Front wheel: 1.66 kg
    Fork: 1.6 kg
    Frame triangle: 1.3 kg
    Swingarm: 500 g
    Crankarm (right) 500 g
    Pedals: 371 g
    ...etc.

The total weight of the bike was just over 24lb (11 kg). On some components, over 25% of the weight was in the mounting hardware (nuts, bolts, fasteners, clamps etc).
  • weeksy59
    Excellent stuff. MAny thanks.

NExt question then lads, what's a decently priced light wheel ?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    mavic crossride.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    That rear wheel weight will include tyre, cassette, tube (or tubleess kit) and skewers.

Which year hardrock is it?
  • .blitz
    edited October 2009
    supersonic wrote:
    That rear wheel weight will include tyre, cassette, tube (or tubleess kit) and skewers.
    Tyre: 635g
    Rim: 420g
    Hub: 283g
    Cassette: 200g
    Tube: 127g
    Spokes: 127g
    Disc: 100g
    QR: 45g

Plus the rim strip and nipples. It all adds up eh?
  • weeksy59
    supersonic wrote:

Which year hardrock is it?

As per other thread mate, 2009 sport disc
  • supersonic
    Wow, they really did strip it! Interesting to see where it is though.

I take it that is the front though judging buy the hub weight.
  • .blitz
    supersonic wrote:
    Wow, they really did strip it! Interesting to see where it is though.

I take it that is the front though judging buy the hub weight.
    Whoops my bad - edited to show the rear hub :oops:
  • supersonic
    As a bare rear wheel goes, that is pretty light. Most weights we see quoted are just rims, spokes, nipples and hubs. Taht comes in at about 750g. A crossride is about 1050g!
  • .blitz
    supersonic wrote:
    As a bare rear wheel goes, that is pretty light.
    Read it again now I've listed all the parts :lol:

1937g excl nipples and rim tape.
  • Spira
    Spira Posts: 14
    I have a 2010 Hardrock sport disc. Does anybody know the weight of my bike? I have had a look around but failed. :(
    2010 Specialized hardrock sport disc.
  • supersonic
    .blitz wrote:
    supersonic wrote:
    As a bare rear wheel goes, that is pretty light.
    Read it again now I've listed all the parts :lol:

1937g excl nipples and rim tape.

As a item, inc all the bits, it does make up a large part of the bikes weight. But it is one hell of a light rear wheel!
  • breezer
    breezer Posts: 1,225
    Can get inner tubes under 100g. No idea what cassette they were using there though as a 11-34 XT M770 one is 302g on my digital scales but they claimed 200 for theres!
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    i've just done the old trick of getting on the bathroom scales holding my bikes and my spark is the heaviest :shock:

not much in it mind :wink:
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • weeksy59
    So have i

31.4Lbs, which seems to be 14.27KG's

That's for bike with small tool, inner tube and empty water bottle.
  • andy46
    not sure about my scales :? think i'll try the ones at work.

don't know about the spesh, but my spark, according to scott should be just under 28lb's and seems heavier on my cheap scales.

do manufacturers give the weights of small frames i wonder :?: :roll:
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

• starseven
    starseven Posts: 112
    I have some scales in my garage, there the sort you might hang livestock from or something. The measure is not so accurate but my boys 17" v brake hardrock is well under 30lb and much lighter than my steel hardtail.

As a guestimate I would say 28llb.
  • weeksy59
    Well i guess based upon my 31.4 and your 28ish mine isn't ridiculously heavy. Slightly heavy yes.. but not the end of the world. Although i guess it's 10% heavier still.

I bet i'm carrying 30% more than plenty of you guys though personally. So... does the 10% of the bike really matter LOL. I know there's a difference between sprung and unsprung weight etc.

I'm not sure it's financially viable to attempt to drop 2kg realistically. So it's either stick with the Hardrock, or chop it completely.
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    andy46 wrote:

Sometimes yes. They probably also quote the weight without pedals, but it usually says in the small print on their website.
  • adb1006
    adb1006 Posts: 938
    andy46 wrote:

Sometimes yes. They probably also quote the weight without pedals, but it usually says in the small print on their website.

And, perhaps more importantly, they just blatantly lie.
  • andy46
    adb1006 wrote:
    andy46 wrote:

And, perhaps more importantly, they just blatantly lie.

:lol:
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

• I have two bikes , the first being a Hardrock Pro 09 Disc I purchased last year and I always thought this was light even when having to lift it over farmyard gates etc however it was'nt until I met up with a fellow rider how had just purchased a Rockhopper and after lifting that for comparison it then hit home about the diferrence in weight. I know have a Rockhopper expert 09 and even my girlfriend has commented about the weight of these two machines.
  • weeksy59
    Went the same way yesterday with mate on an 08FSR Comp and again the weight difference is HUGE.

So question is, which component/components can i realistically make the best weight decrease / £$£$£ ?

Is it the frame that's holding me back most ?

Obviously the sum of the parts for mechs/etc makes about 100grm difference max per item, but 6-7 parts is almost 3/4 of a kilo i guess.

looking at earlier post

Rear wheel: 2.0 kg
    Front wheel: 1.66 kg
    Fork: 1.6 kg
    Frame triangle: 1.3 kg

I'm guessing wheels are best bet ? but how much on a realistic budget can i get them down by ?
  • supersonic
    But those wheels are comprised of many parts which makes them look heavier than they are. You need to weigh your own individual parts really.