Carrera Titan 09, Carbon loveliness :)

jake_tenfloors
jake_tenfloors Posts: 139
edited November 2009 in Your mountain bikes
Hey, kinda new to this site so thought i'd post some pics of my bike up.
I'll add the spec later!

IMAG0034.jpg
IMAG0036.jpg
IMAG0037.jpg

Excuse the massive front disc. It's getting changed this weekend.

Jake

Edit: Spec

Spec,

• 18" Monocoque 12k weave Carbon Frame
• Forks - Rock Shox Reba SL 100mm
• Headset - FSA Internal
• Stem - Rritchey WCS 110mm Carbon
• Handlebars - Easton MonkeyLite XC
• Rear Derailleur - Sram x9
• Front Derailleur - Sram x7
• Gear shifter - Sram x9 Shifters
• Brakes - Avid Elixer
• Crank set - Truvativ Firex
• Pedals - DMR v8
• Rims - Mavic 317 Disc Spec
• Tyre - Continental Speed King 2.1
• Seat - Carrera Saddle
• Seat post - Ritchey WCS

Comments

• I do like that frame.... quite alot actually!
  • Stoo61
    Stoo61 Posts: 1,394
    I see you have a the WCS carbon stem....whats the bars?

Tis a nice bike.
  • Danlube
    Danlube Posts: 454
    nice
    Kona Tanuki Deluxe
  • Stoo61 wrote:
    I see you have a the WCS carbon stem....whats the bars?

Tis a nice bike.

Spec,

• 18" Monocoque 12k weave Carbon Frame
    • Forks - Rock Shox Reba SL 100mm
    • Headset - FSA Internal
    • Stem - Rritchey WCS 110mm Carbon
    • Handlebars - Easton MonkeyLite XC
    • Rear Derailleur - Sram x9
    • Front Derailleur - Sram x7
    • Gear shifter - Sram x9 Shifters
    • Brakes - Avid Elixer
    • Crank set - Truvativ Firex
    • Pedals - DMR v8
    • Rims - Mavic 317 Disc Spec
    • Tyre - Continental Speed King 2.1
    • Seat - Carrera Saddle
    • Seat post - Ritchey WCS

Added spec to first post :)
  • Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    nice looking bike

good frame too
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • Thanks for the comments guys.

Next thing on the list is some Fox F100 forks., maxxis crossmark tyres & some new wheels maybe :)
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    that would look even better with those upgrades.nice bike :wink:
  • I'd stick with the Rebas TBH, having owned both, theres not a lot in them apart from £300!

it's totally unnecessary upgrading the forks :?

Tyres can make a difference, but that's a personal preference!

Nice bike by the way! 8)
  • Cheesey wrote:
    I'd stick with the Rebas TBH, having owned both, theres not a lot in them apart from £300!

it's totally unnecessary upgrading the forks :?

Tyres can make a difference, but that's a personal preference!

Nice bike by the way! 8)

I know what your saying about the forks, but its one of those things ain't it. The more i look at the foxes the more i want. Nowt wrong with the rebas at all!

Wheel wise, think i'm gonna go Hope pro 2's with mavic xc717 rims.
  • jay12 wrote:
    that would look even better with those upgrades.nice bike :wink:

Thanks man!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    niiiiice!

I knew Carrera made some nice bikes, but I had NO idea they made ones that nice! Lovely stuff!
  • niiiiice!

I knew Carrera made some nice bikes, but I had NO idea they made ones that nice! Lovely stuff!

Cheers man,

Its not standard.

The bike comes with no-name bars, stem & seatpost. Also comes with x7 shifters as appose to x9's.

Jake
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I'm gobsmacked by that frame, it's a beauty!
  • I'm gobsmacked by that frame, it's a beauty!

I know :)
  • Got myself some new bars :)
    Now i want the matching seatpost aswel!
    Pics,

IMAG0044.jpg
    IMAG0045.jpg
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    hi matey
    you might recognise me as "budget bassist" ;)
    small (online) world eh?
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    I saw one of these in my local halfords store yesterday and i was shocked how nice they look in the metal err...carbon 8)

If i had a grand to spare on a new HT it would be a very tough choice indeed between one of these or a new Lobster.
  • So how much weight has changing the stem and bars actually saved you then? do you feel the difference over the stock kit? Ive felt the weight of this bike in Halfords and it is dam light!! saying that though the boardman pro was even lighter!? i'm going to buy one of these two but im torn!!
  • Polaris wrote:
    So how much weight has changing the stem and bars actually saved you then? do you feel the difference over the stock kit? Ive felt the weight of this bike in Halfords and it is dam light!! saying that though the boardman pro was even lighter!? i'm going to buy one of these two but im torn!!

Weight over the stock stuff is quite alot really. Saved atleast 300 grams as the stock stuff was awful.

We weighed my titan against a colleagues ht pro & my titan was lighter. but only by acouple of ounces!

It depends on what you want tbh, the titan is much more upgradeable imo.

Evevryone man and his dog are on boardmans now anyway!!
    You don't see these everyday :)

The only signiificant change you can do is change the wheels really. My boss has a titan & changed to hope II with mavic 717 rims and saved half a kilo, so thats next on my list of things to do!

What area are you from??

Jake
  • ilovedirt
    Less weight on the wheels is good, rotating weight can be an issue, obviously the more weight on the edge of the wheel, the more it will slow you down because it will in effect get heavier as you're moving... i explained that really badly, but lightweight rims and tyres would be a good start.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • ramemtbers
    ramemtbers Posts: 1,562
    i belive carrera are going up in theworld. there cheaper end bikes have now gone for new tactics and now they have gone for looking asthetically good not componently good. howerever i do like your carbonfibre beasty.
  • ilovedirt
    definitely, i have an '06 carrera vulcan and it's a really nice bike, great base for a project and only cost me £200. The new ones cost almost double for the same spec, i guess it's because of the recession.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    Agreed, the current vulcan is a bit dear but if u can get it discounted then its really a cracking bike for not much money aslong as u change the tires!!!
  • Hi Jake,

Half a Kilo with a wheel swap! Jeez, wouldn't that thing float then? :o) I do agree that once you have this frame you can over time peel away at the other stuff to make a top notch feather of a machine! Your right about the boardman's and popularity too, 5 friends have all just bought boardman's through the CTW scheme, 4 pro's and a team full sus, a day in the forest would feel like a dam boardman team training day!? Put them all down to have your sandwiches and it will take 5 mins to work out which is yours again! :oops:

I'm based in Preston, Lancs.
  • lol, well 4 of us at halfords where i work all have titans! haha.

We've all started to upgrade them differently so its all good.

My manager sold me his, then missed it so much that he bought another one!

If your ever in west yorkshire your more than welcome to have a go on mine!

Jake
  • Jake, how do you find the Titan to ride and where/what are you using it for? now between that and Boardman Pro HT
  • look4now wrote:
    Jake, how do you find the Titan to ride and where/what are you using it for? now between that and Boardman Pro HT

Hey, i'm using the bike for XC use. I've been to dalby twice and it was really great there!

The titan & boardman are pretty much the same weight in real terms.
    I went out with a mate of mine who has the 2007 boardman pro so we swapped to try each bike out. I found that climbing they were equal but the ttitan was much more planted down hill, but thats gonna be different for different riding styles.

You've got to weigh up what you want really.

Your paying for the frame on the titan, so cuts have been made elsewhere to keep costs down. So instead of x9/x0 gearing, you've got x7/x9.

This didn't bother me too much as i got a set of x9 shifters really cheap so now i'm running x9 all round.

If your wanting a bike that you can leave standard and be really happy with it, go for the boardman. If you enjoy getting new bits to make a bike better and more personal, i'd start off with the titan.

Go sit on both of them, see which is more comfortable!

i love mine :)
  • Got some new wheels at the weekend :) well new to me.

Hope Pro 3's on DTswiss 4.2

They'vd made such a difference to the bikes weight and acceleration. Along with some maxxis crossmark and lightweight innertubes.

Will add some pictures up tomorrow if the weathers nice :)

Jake
  • Got some new wheels at the weekend :) well new to me.

Hope Pro 3's on DTswiss 4.2

They'vd made such a difference to the bikes weight and acceleration. Along with some maxxis crossmark and lightweight innertubes.

Will add some pictures up tomorrow if the weathers nice :)

Jake