Will you be attending the Cycle Show 2009?

Runoutofgears
Runoutofgears Posts: 348
edited October 2009 in Commuting chat
Any one attending the Earls Court Cycle Show?

Not so sure I should bring my credit card.
I ache, therefore I am.

Comments

• yep - i'm going. flying down on a cheap deal / day out meeting a mate.

hoping to see all the cool stuff, ride a condor barrachi, maybe buy an exposure strada...

offsetting costs of all that by taking my own packed lunch! ;-)
    Cannondale BadBoy Rohloff
    Cannondale SuperSix / 11sp Chorus
    Ridley Excalibur / 10sp Centaur
    Steel Marin Bear Valley SE
    Twitter @roadbikedave
  • I'm working most of that but could go sunday, would go by bike since well why not! also to make sure I don't buy much bar coffee!

if there is a number going I could be tempted as a social chin wag but on my own It's not worth it.
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Yes. I was planning to go anyway, but yesterday got an email saying I'd won a pair of tickets. It'll be Sunday for me.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Yep - but only 'cause I got a free ticket.
  • hey

it is going to be an amazing event, with lots of different things to experience within the venue. check out the website for more info www.cycleshow.com
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    scarlett01 wrote:
    hey

it is going to be an amazing event, with lots of different things to experience within the venue. check out the website for more info www.cycleshow.com

Nice first post...are you in PR? "hey, come to the bike show, it'll be ace"

For me, no, too much potential for sighing and saying "if only"

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Penn
    Penn Posts: 22
    I'm going and I am sure I am going to spend a small fortune.

Luckily I just got my student loan :P
  • sicknote
    sicknote Posts: 901
    I should be going as I got a free ticket after being a marshal on Skyride :)
  • I wish i'd booked low cost rail tickets in advance, coming up on the cheapo coach service instead. It could be a long day!
    I ache, therefore I am.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,151
    I'll be there on the Sunday, partly with credit card in hand for some winter commuting kit but also because I'm nosey, have not been to one before and want to see if its worthwhile. Managed to get some money off via an offer in the main London free rag which made the price bearable.

Steve.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • My main reason for going is to look for a new bike, which will hopefully be made easier what with them all being in the same big room. (Crowds permitting). I haven't been before, is there much opportunity to buy accesories?
    I ache, therefore I am.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    What are you all anticipating buying there, though? Are they upping the merchandise stands this year? The last couple there was almost nothing to buy.
  • The plan is just to look, (that's what I'm Contracted to by Er in doors), I just wondered if there was much for sale?
    I ache, therefore I am.
  • scoobers
    scoobers Posts: 364
    SecretSam wrote:
    scarlett01 wrote:
    hey

Nice first post...are you in PR? "hey, come to the bike show, it'll be ace"

For me, no, too much potential for sighing and saying "if only"

You'd have thought if they are in PR they could have at least posted the correct url - www.cycleshow.co.uk
  • Stevo_666
    biondino wrote:
    What are you all anticipating buying there, though? Are they upping the merchandise stands this year? The last couple there was almost nothing to buy.

A bit of winter clothing - maybe I'm being naive, but I'd expect to be able to buy that sort of stuff at a bike show - any other big exhibition like this I've been to (mainly car or ski related) has had plenty of sale and marketing people happy to take your money/details etc. I'd have thought that the exhibitors would want to sell as much as they can to recoup the costs of attending? I know my local LBS is going and I'm hoping they have some special offers :)

Steve.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • patchy
    patchy Posts: 779
    last year the standard exhibitors weren't allowed to sell anything, and the only stuff for sale was in a 'merchandise zone' featuring Condor, Gore and a couple of other clothing brands. I suspect they had to pay for the privilege, however, and i also suspect it'll be the same deal this year. i could be wrong, though....
    point your handlebars towards the heavens and sweat like you're in hell
  • bigease
    bigease Posts: 86
    Coming on Saturday. Me and a mate are driving down to Potters Bar and then riding in through London. Anyone got any tips for surviving those Big City streets? Will us rural Cambridge boys survive?
    Specialized Single Cross: FCN +4 IMAGE

Trek Madone 5.2: FCN +3 IMAGE
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Nope first time I'll miss it but off to Menorca this weekend.
  • Stevo_666
    patchy wrote:
    last year the standard exhibitors weren't allowed to sell anything, and the only stuff for sale was in a 'merchandise zone' featuring Condor, Gore and a couple of other clothing brands. I suspect they had to pay for the privilege, however, and i also suspect it'll be the same deal this year. i could be wrong, though....

That's a pi**er if its true. Ho hum, I've bought the tickets now :roll:
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Even if there is lots for sale, it'll all be at premium prices anyway - they're not going to go to the effort of moving merchandise only to discount it! Seriously, go for the bikes, and if you pick up a little something then it's a bonus.
  • Big Wib
    Big Wib Posts: 363
    Wiggle have an offer on tickets for a tenner if you're interested
  • patchy
    patchy Posts: 779
    I'll be popping along on the Saturday regardless (i don't have any money to buy stuff anyway, I'm just going to ogle victoria pendleton - i mean, TT bikes).

bikeradar meet up anyone?
    point your handlebars towards the heavens and sweat like you're in hell
  • biondino wrote:
    Even if there is lots for sale, it'll all be at premium prices anyway - they're not going to go to the effort of moving merchandise only to discount it! Seriously, go for the bikes, and if you pick up a little something then it's a bonus.

Generally speaking i would think things will discounted atleast alittle bit at the show to attract people to raise the profile of the shop or brand within the cycling "community" ..... an opportunity to discount the last of '09 stock i suspect, for some, and offer one off 'deals' on 2010 releases. Thats what i think anyway. Im sure there will something for everyone (me) to buy that they dont really need :roll:
  • sicknote
    sicknote Posts: 901
    patchy wrote:
    I'll be popping along on the Saturday regardless (i don't have any money to buy stuff anyway, I'm just going to ogle victoria pendleton - i mean, TT bikes).

bikeradar meet up anyone?

Sounds like a good idea but I will be going on Sunday more than likely, so if anyone is up for a meet on Sunday.
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    Why does Cycling Weekly call it the "London cycle show" .. that's why I'm not going :evil:

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • b]Patchy Wrote[/b I'll be popping along on the Saturday regardless (i don't have any money to buy stuff anyway, I'm just going to ogle victoria pendleton - i mean, TT bikes).
    [/quote]

The girls, Victoria Pendleton, Nicole Cooke, etc seemed to be quite an attraction at the show, I had to shove several 12 year olds out of the way to get a decent view!
    I ache, therefore I am.
  • where is it!? how much?!
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
    north west of england.
    north west of england.