We've done gigs, now sports events.

2»

Comments

• timb64
    timb64 Posts: 248
    Ipswich Town v Arsenal FA Cup Final 1978

Ipswich Town v A Z Alkmaar Uefa Cup Final 1981

Ipswich Town v Barnsley Div 1 Play-off Final 2000

Oh for the good old days when we could actually win!!
  • volvine
    volvine Posts: 409
    Frank Bruno v Lennox Lewis Cardif Arms Park awesome night i will never forget.
    any of the Ricky Hatton fights at the M.E.N Manchester simply the best atmosphere in the best indoor sporting arena there is.
    Notts Forrest 1 Man Utd 8 also very good away trip
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,166
    The Beijing Olympics - especially seeing Usain Bolt winning the 100m - he did his celebrations right in front of us.

I also saw Hoy, Wiggins and Romero winning gold medals.

Other than than, West Ham beating Preston 1-0 in the play-off final in 2005.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • John Frian scoring the 93rd minute retaken free kick to win the 1997 Division 3 play-offs for Northampton Town with literally the last kick of the game.

Wiggins and Cavendish winning the madison world championship in Manchester 2008 - the atmosphere in the crowd was immense.
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    La Lakers vs Phoenix Suns - It was Magic Johnsons last game and he was pitted against Charles Berkely. It went down to the wire and the Lakers won in the final 15 seconds. Magic got sent off for bumping the ref, I think the only time he ever got sent off in his entire career.

( I was sat 6 rows behind Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman)

The other event was watching Laurent Fignon get his final stage win of his TdF career. We found the steepest hill to watch on and they still flew past us. Robert Millar was sat in between Delgado and Lemond.
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • Equal Billing
    Scotland Vs Brazil, opening game of the 1998 World Cup Finals at the Stade De France
    and
    Scotland vs England 1996 European Finals, Wembley Half-time when us 2000 Scots outsang the rest of Wembley for the entire break and most of the game.
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    Dundee v Dundee United 1983

The last time someone outside the Old Firm won the biggest prize in Scottish football. Being there made up for not having bothered to go to the Barcelona game (doh!).

OH, and Argentina England in 1986 (just joking, wasn't actually there!)

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• Didn't attend, but the last footy match I watched all the way through was Cov City winning the F.A. Cup in '87 & that was only cos we'd all had a bong before the kickoff :lol: :shock: :? :!:
  • pedylan
    pedylan Posts: 768
    Celtic v Partizan Belgrade 1989, Partizan were 2-1 up from the 1st Leg so Celtic had to beat them at Celtic Park. The game swung from end to end with Celtic striker Dariuz Dziekanowski ( Jackie as he was called ) scoring 4 Goals on the night and Celtic running out 5-4 winners on the night ( 6-6 on aggregate ) which meant that Celtic went out of the competition on the Away Goals rule.

It was one of those games where Celtic were out, then they were through, then they were out again, through again......... it was an amazing night and an incredible game of football with everything in it.

The atmposphere was absolutely amazing, with about 65,000 singing shouting, crying....incredible.

I'll see you that one and offer you the 4-2 title decider against Rangers in 1979. Rangers needed a draw we needed the win, last game of the season, Monday night at Celtic park One down in 10 mins, man off early in second half. Ten man Celtic came back to 1-1, 2-1, 2-2 and in the last 5 mins scored two to win 4-2. McLeod thunderbolt to seal it. Happy Jungle days. KTF
    Where the neon madmen climb
  • guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    Didn't attend, but the last footy match I watched all the way through was Cov City winning the F.A. Cup in '87 & that was only cos we'd all had a bong before the kickoff :lol: :shock: :? :!:

I was there.... in full replica kit and holding a sky blue teddy (also in full kit) as my 11th birthday pressie. I remember cracking my head on the bloke behind's knee when Keith Houchen scored THAT header. Still rates as the best game I have ever seen, although I may be biased.
  • iainment
    iainment Posts: 992
    holmeboy wrote:
    Equal Billing
    Scotland Vs Brazil, opening game of the 1998 World Cup Finals at the Stade De France
    and
    Scotland vs England 1996 European Finals, Wembley Half-time when us 2000 Scots outsang the rest of Wembley for the entire break and most of the game.

Well I was there at the opposite end to the Scots, didn't sound that loud to me, and why you thought having a pop at Jimmy Hill bothered us I still don't know.

Near where I was there was a boy with his dad in Scotland jersey and England shorts, which I thought was nice. They left early though after Gazza's goal I think.

Pip pip.
    Old hippies don't die, they just lie low until the laughter stops and their time comes round again.
    Joseph Gallivan
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,782
    With the OP on this - as to be the Wales v England 6 nations match in '99 followed by Pontypool v Cardiff back in April when Pooler beat the champs and scored a bonus point to secure their place in the top flight - seems a distant memory now though with this seasons form :( Outside of rugby it must be Wales beating Italy at the Millenium Stadium.
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    Cupar Colts v Hillfield Swift, June this year, a play off to see who gets promoted to the Fife Development league 1995's first division.

It's 1-1 and well into extra time, heading for penalties. The boys on both sides are wilting in the heat; the parents are so tense that they are only just able to restrain themselves from pouring torrents of abuse at each other (and the ref) after every tackle.

Ball goes into the penalty area, my boy picks it up and dummies the defender, who slips over. Young Pneumatic lashes it into the back of the net. The winner. :shock: Ecstasy! :P So proud! 8) So jealous! :evil: So inappropriately behaved! :oops:

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• guilliano wrote:
    Didn't attend, but the last footy match I watched all the way through was Cov City winning the F.A. Cup in '87 & that was only cos we'd all had a bong before the kickoff :lol: :shock: :? :!:

I was there.... in full replica kit and holding a sky blue teddy (also in full kit) as my 11th birthday pressie. I remember cracking my head on the bloke behind's knee when Keith Houchen scored THAT header. Still rates as the best game I have ever seen, although I may be biased.

That header? That header?, FFS, he is clearly falling over when the ball hits him on the head, I dont think he even knew much about it :wink:

All of the sporting events I have been to have been amazing, beer always helps to fuzz the memory a bit :wink: . I was there when we lost to the Plumstead (we will get offended if you celebrate scoring in front of us even though the Spurs didnt cry and whinge when terry henry ran over 100 yards to us at the termites a few years ago) Scummers 5-4, rollercoaster of a game, best atmosphere ever, even though they cheated. I cant remember how or where now but they must have done :shock:
  • guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    Stewie, please don't ruin the only bit of football glory I will ever have! You're just upset that Garry Mabbutt was playing for Coventry in extra time.

I was also at the World League final when London Monarchs beat Barcelona Dragons at Wembley. The fact that "we" won may have fuzzed the memory a bit but I remember it being incredible. I also went to England V Holland in the build up to Euro 88 and was priviledged to see Van Basten, Gullit and Rijkaard at their peak in a 2-2 draw with Tony Adams scoring at both ends.
  • Celtic v. Porto UEFA cup final (although I've blanked the extra-time from memory) but 100,000 Hoops fans partying in Seville was an event in itself!

St. Mirren v. Celtic 1985 - Final game of the season when Albert Kidd sunk Hearts 5 minutes from time @ Dens for Celtic to take the league.

Watching my primary 3 kids win their first ever game they played, now I was one happy coach that day!
  • Mothyman
    Mothyman Posts: 655
    Tiger Woods vs Boy May in play off USPGA a few yrs ago - listened to it on radio before bed....great tension brilliantly described by the commentators...miracle stuff from Tiger against an inspired May
  • Tonymufc
    Tonymufc Posts: 1,016
    Old Trafford 2007 Man Utd 7 - 1 Roma. The Stretford End is always rockin, but man that was a special night. After what their facist cops did to our fans in Rome it was what dreams are made of. Quality!
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Spain vs Yugoslavia - Euro 2000
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/euro2000/m ... _full.html

Top of the Joux Plane for Landis' great come back
    http://velonews.com/article/10493
    .... till it turned out he cheated.
    exercise.png
  • pedrojake
    pedrojake Posts: 229
    Northern Ireland 1 England 0 Windsor Park
    Northern Ireland 3 Spain 2