Shimano 105 shifter question

carl_p
carl_p Posts: 989
edited October 2009 in Workshop
Well firstly the shifter that my LBS said was knackered isn't. I've poked around inside and moved that piece of white tape around inside the mechanism that was sticking up and that seems to have done the trick. I think it was jamming up the movement, but I might be wrong. Anyway, can anyone tell me what it is supposed to be doing? Is it part of the flightdeck connection? To be honest I'd like to pull it right out but I don't want to cause any damage.
Specialized Venge S Works
Cannondale Synapse
Enigma Etape
Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...

Comments

• careful
    careful Posts: 720
    I had exactly the same problem with my front triple. It wouldnt stay on the big ring. The white tape actually has a wire in it and sends signals to the Flight Deck computer. I dont know anyone who uses flight deck so I just Snipped as much of the tape away as possible with scissors. Problem solved, perfect gear change again.
  • yep the little white tape is just for the flightdeck, it serves no other purpose. I'm another one who ripped it out as soon as i got the shifters as it was in the way.
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    Cheers guys :wink:
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • El Gordo
    El Gordo Posts: 394
    Oh, is that what it is? I ripped it out years ago thinking it was a bit of stray packaging or something. Lucky I don't use Flightdeck I guess.
  • aoeu
    aoeu Posts: 34
    Interesting. I'll b e ripping mine out too.
  • Evil Laugh
    Evil Laugh Posts: 1,412
    Hi,

I've got a problem with my LH 105 shifter. It feels like I'm going to snap the paddle off when I change onto the smaller ring then it pings/clicks with lots of resistance and changes gear. I have a compact double btw.

Does this sound like it might be the same thing causing the problem?

I've never delved under the rubber hood on a shifter and please excuse my ignorance/lack of terminology.

Took it to LBS twice and they fiddled with the front derailleur, saying it was a problem with sti settings between a double and triple chainset, but it has not addressed the issue with the shifter at all, them claiming it to be normal to have a heavy action on 105.

No bike I have ever ridden with 105 shifters felt like this and neither did mine when I got it 2 months ago.

:cry:
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    I've got a problem with my LH 105 shifter. It feels like I'm going to snap the paddle off when I change onto the smaller ring then it pings/clicks with lots of resistance and changes gear. I have a compact double btw.
    Probably the mech is pulled hard against the top limit stop when on the big ring. Try pulling the cable by the down tube. Does the mech move when you do this. If not try slackening the top limit screw a little but not enough for the chain to over throw the ring. If it does go over them reset the screw and slacken the cable a little. It is esential to have a little clearance on the screw or you will wreck the shifter.
  • scherrit
    scherrit Posts: 360
    Cable may be too loose and you're actually using the clicks designed to go from a middle ring up to the big ring. Click through to the bottom click and see if the cable hangs loose, if so tighten up a barrel adjuster in the front cable (hopefully you have some means to do so, not impossible that you don't in which case loosen the binder bolt and tighten there).

105 left/ front shifters are made for double or triple use and come with a little tag warning the user of this... but prolly not on your bike when you took delivery?

I am quite good at breaking things and have bust two of these levers by this precise mechanism, before finding out- live and learn.....
    Good luck,
    Scherrit.
    If you're as fat as me, all bikes are bendy.
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    +1 to cable tension too tight, plus top limit screw needs a slight adjustment.

Check the settings via the Park Tool website guide here: http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=75

...also check the height & alignment of the cage as you go through the settings. :wink:
    Cycling weakly
  • Evil Laugh
    Evil Laugh Posts: 1,412
    Thakns guys, will give it a go.