Ad banner making things run slow?

Chrissz
Chrissz Posts: 727
Any ideas?

It seems as though the CRC banner to the right of the page makes the site load very slowly. Below the banner (i.e. once it is off screen to the top) things work fine but when it's showing even opening in new tabs seems to take forever.

???? :D

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    firefox and ad block.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Chrissz
    Chrissz Posts: 727
    Tried that - the big red banner's still there slowing things down :(
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    nicklouse wrote:
    firefox and ad block.

Works for me. You do have to block the ad via the right click context menu then reload the page.

Google with no ad blocks

googleih.th.jpg

Firefox with Adblock

35767944.th.jpg
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    Firefox / Adblock Plus with the right filters sets will do it by default.

If Firefox cache is jammed to the rafters it can create havoc with flash, js or anything else causing loading and freeze glitches and if you get the right combinations it'll just crash the browser all together.

Clear cache / cookies and anything else in there, then close the browser and ctrl + alt + del to bring task manager up and make sure Firefox.exe isn't running, either as an application or process. Then restart Firefox and hit the bikeradar site immediately, the banner should load a split second after everything else.

After that it could well be the server serving it up. In which case you'll have to use Adblock Plus with some filter sets.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    That CRC animated banner ad in firefox was making my box run at 95-100% cpu. Adblocked it and CPU usage back to normal. Grrr
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Have to agree with that. I've no objection to ads on websites but when they cause 1 of my 2 CPU cores to go to 100% that's seriously out of order. A very counterproductive advert in my opinion as large numbers of people will block it just to make their computer usable again.

Edit: The other banner add at the top of the page (PhotoRadar.com for me) is much less CPU intensive despite being just as heavily animated and about the same number of pixels.

Mike
  • Downwardi
    Downwardi Posts: 132
    Fixed for me too
    Now I can read the forum again
    FCN 8 Hybrid
    FCN 4 Roadie